+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience before Masters NOT considered?

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I am planning to do masters from US in coming Fall 2016 and hope to get 135 points for education.

Currently I have 5 years of work experience in software field in India.

Can I claim full points for this foreign work experience (obtained before Masters)?

The reason I am asking is because, a consultant just told me that if I do masters in USA now, my Indian work experience before masters will not be considered and I cannot claim points for it under EE. Is this true?

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
rollercoaster said:
I am planning to do masters from US in coming Fall 2016 and hope to get 135 points for education.

Currently I have 5 years of work experience in software field in India.

Can I claim full points for this foreign work experience (obtained before Masters)?

The reason I am asking is because, a consultant just told me that if I do masters in USA now, my Indian work experience before masters will not be considered and I cannot claim points for it under EE. Is this true?
No it is not true. Since you already have Bachelors, any work experience gained under NOC skill type 0, A or B in the last 10 years can be used to claim points under Express Entry.

viveksharma

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
Not Received
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Guess mid Jun-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
Re: Work experience before Masters considered?

Please share the name of the consultant in the forum so that everyone stays away from them. You can claim the points for your work ex as long as :
1. work ex is with in last 10 years
2.It was a paid full time work ( at least 30 hours per week)
3.work ex does not fall under volunteer work or unpaid internships etc.
4.at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).

if your SW exp was full time in India chances are you are eligible

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
The dumb consultant who told me this is APEX Visas.

Even I was shocked when she told me this.

I have worked full time (40 hours per week) as a software developer for 5 years at a major MNC in India.

I guess software developer definitely falls in NOC 0/A/B ??

viveksharma

Feb 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
Doc's Request.
PCC sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
01-10-2014
AOR Received.
Not Received
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Guess mid Jun-2016
Med's Request
18-11-2014
Med's Done....
24-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
rollercoaster said:
I guess software developer definitely falls in NOC 0/A/B ??
Yup buddy, hands down you are eligible and most probably under NOC 2173 or 2174.

wchaudhry

Star Member
Nov 4, 2017
Hi guys, i have a short question. I hold a bachelors in chemical Engineering (2010 to 2014) and MS in Environmental Sciences (2016 to 2017). Between these I have work experience of total 25 months in 2 Jobs both similar to my masters education.
Please suggest if I need to get my Educational Credential Assessment for Masters Degree only or both Bachelors and masters?
Also if the work experience will be counted given I performed it before masters and has nothing to do with chemical engineering degree.

Looking forward to your suggestions :)

Regards

Reactions: sasan_fazel

sasan_fazel

Sep 12, 2019
Hi guys, i have a short question. I hold a bachelors in chemical Engineering (2010 to 2014) and MS in Environmental Sciences (2016 to 2017). Between these I have work experience of total 25 months in 2 Jobs both similar to my masters education.
Please suggest if I need to get my Educational Credential Assessment for Masters Degree only or both Bachelors and masters?
Also if the work experience will be counted given I performed it before masters and has nothing to do with chemical engineering degree.

Looking forward to your suggestions :)

Regards

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
You can claim your pre-Master's experience for points and you don't have to waste time and money with WES regarding your bachelor's since points are awarded for the highest degree level only.

I know that the first post here is old, but my suggestion will be to go forward without any consultant (as you don't need consultants for EE, it's a straightforward path). If you have questions the forum is ambiguous about, hire a Canadian-based, Canadian-born consultant for an hourly fee. Some adjustment to time zones for these 1-2 calls will save you tons of time and money, and nerves too

Brain_Drain

Jun 16, 2019
You can claim your pre-Master's experience for points and you don't have to waste time and money with WES regarding your bachelor's since points are awarded for the highest degree level only.

I know that the first post here is old, but my suggestion will be to go forward without any consultant (as you don't need consultants for EE, it's a straightforward path). If you have questions the forum is ambiguous about, hire a Canadian-based, Canadian-born consultant for an hourly fee. Some adjustment to time zones for these 1-2 calls will save you tons of time and money, and nerves too
An immigration consultant told me the same thing. I have 2 years of full time paid experience before I started my Masters, and one+ years after my masters. I can claim for 3 years right ?

JamesRodriguez

Mar 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
Passport Req..
January 2020
VISA ISSUED...
January 2020
LANDED..........
February 2020
D
An immigration consultant told me the same thing. I have 2 years of full time paid experience before I started my Masters, and one+ years after my masters. I can claim for 3 years right ?
Definitely you can.
Ask the consultant to go thru the website first.

Cic says any work experience gained in last 10 years can be counted .

No matter if you did master or diploma in between .

Reactions: Brain_Drain