+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work done after completion of studies and before PGWP for CEC

cec immigration

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Hi
I completed my studies in December 2014 and applied for my PGWP on January 18, 2015. I started working on February 1, 2015. Now I am completing my 1 year of CEC on January 31, 2016. The problem is I received my post graduate work permit on April 30, 2015. Now can I make my express entry profile from February 1, 2016 or do I need to wait till April 30, 2016. Everytime I call CIC call centre they tell different things. I only have 1 year work permit and don't have a LMIA.
Does work done after completion of studies and after applying for PGWP and before getting PGWP counted towards CEC or not.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
cec immigration said:
Hi
I completed my studies in December 2014 and applied for my PGWP on January 18, 2015. I started working on February 1, 2015. Now I am completing my 1 year of CEC on January 31, 2016. The problem is I received my post graduate work permit on April 30, 2015. Now can I make my express entry profile from February 1, 2016 or do I need to wait till April 30, 2016. Everytime I call CIC call centre they tell different things. I only have 1 year work permit and don't have a LMIA.
Does work done after completion of studies and after applying for PGWP and before getting PGWP counted towards CEC or not.
Hi,

There is a date signed on your PGWP and there is valid until date just after that. I would start counting the working days from the date signed just to stay in the safe zone. That is when you have 1 year of work permit from.

I would still wait for some senior's to see their input on this.

Best of luck,

littlell

Jan 30, 2016
Hi

I have exactly the same question. I started to work in August 2015 and got my PGWP in October 2015. I waited for more than four months to get the PGWP - that's an incredibly long processing time. I think the CIC website only says that work experience gained when you are a student does not qualify for CEC. But why work experience under an implied worker status cannot be counted? People could legally work once they graduated and apply for their PGWP. So the work experience is legal and should be valid for CEC.

Looking forward to seeing seniors' opinions on this issue. Thanks.

Reactions: Ram_29

c2h5oh

Apr 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-06-2014
Doc's Request.
21-02-2015
AOR Received.
11-08-2014
Med's Request
11-02-2015
Med's Done....
24-02-2015
Passport Req..
visa-exempt
VISA ISSUED...
25-01-2016
LANDED..........
15-02-2016
This is all the the existing regulations have to say about this:

87.1.(3).(a) said:
any period of employment during which the foreign national was engaged in full-time study shall not be included in calculating a period of work experience;
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-19.html#h-51

My understanding (not a lawyer) is that experience on ANY valid work permit qualifies, not only before you got PGWP, but even before you've applied for it as long as you were no longer "engaged in full-time study".
If you want to include experience gained before you got your PGWP I'd definitely accompany it with a document issued by the school stating when you've finished your studies.

Reactions: Ram_29

cool90

Oct 11, 2015
Hello Guys I am under same situation but received answer after research. Below is my profile.

May 2015 - Finish full time studies ( Calgary )
May 2015 - Got full time job (Edmonton - NOC B)
June 2015 - Applied PGWP
October 2015 - Received PGWP

Current (Jan 2016) - Working in same field

Although I have applied AINP but in May 2016 I will also be making myself eligible under CEC - EE

work experience gained after completion of studies (Implied status) will be calculated under CEC
Supporting document - Course completion letter from school

All the best to everyone

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
I got my PGWP in March 29, 2013 and applied for PR under CEC on Feb 19, 2014. Clearly one month and ten days before. I provided same letter which I received to apply PGWP to CIC as a proof that my last day at school was Dec 14, 2013 and I started my full time job from Dec 16, 2013 on off campus work permit. I am a landed immigrant now.

mesumrizvi

Nov 7, 2014
Toronto - Canada
You can count your experience after the date mentioned on your letter of graduation from college/university.. i graduated in May and started working in mid July.. i got my PGWP mid august so technically 1 month experience was not on PGWP.. however, i did have Off-Campus WP which allowed me to legally work full time after completion of my studies.. the experience was counted towards my CEC application as i applied for PR after exactly 53 weeks of work experience (4 of which were on not on PGWP)

dlau9227

Apr 9, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I am in the same situation. Does anyone have the answer to this or has anyone received an invitation to apply based on these premises?

Thank you,

neevan

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
I am in the same situation and wait for few more days. My file is under eligibility right now

Be in touch with me, i can clarify your answer in few days.

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
@neevan - Did you hear back from CIC on your application yet?

I would be in the same boat as you after couple of months, my question to you is what day should I consider my graduation day, the date I was issued my final transcript (It states word "Graduated"), or the date I was issued my Diploma. There is approximately three month time difference between these two events. Can you please clarify? Thanks

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
cool90 said:
Hello Guys I am under same situation but received answer after research. Below is my profile.

May 2015 - Finish full time studies ( Calgary )
May 2015 - Got full time job (Edmonton - NOC B)
June 2015 - Applied PGWP
October 2015 - Received PGWP

Current (Jan 2016) - Working in same field

Although I have applied AINP but in May 2016 I will also be making myself eligible under CEC - EE

work experience gained after completion of studies (Implied status) will be calculated under CEC
Supporting document - Course completion letter from school

All the best to everyone

Is the information you provided is correct and verified ???

My situation is same.
I joined company as soon as i graduated in 30 april 2015 but my work permit came in 4 august 2015.
What did you select in your work experience in Express Entry profile. From work permit or actual work exp after graduation ?

I was thinking to select from actual work exp after graduation and then provide a letter of explanation because my current work exp is any way more than 1 year even on PGWP .

ssingh5

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
neevan said:
I am in the same situation and wait for few more days. My file is under eligibility right now

Be in touch with me, i can clarify your answer in few days.
Any response ?

JSN_2016

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ssingh5 said:
Any response ?
Hi SSingh,

I was in the similar situation. I applied for my PGWP in Feb2015, received PGWP on 8-May2015. I started my work on 1-April2015. From 1-April2015 to 7-May-2015, I worked on implied status. From 8-May-2015 to 12-July-2016, I completed my 1 year on PGWP.

If you want the CIC officer to count your work experience during your implied status then provide your degree completion letter from the University as a proof.

asimramzan73

Aug 24, 2015
I got my PGWP in March 29, 2013 and applied for PR under CEC on Feb 19, 2014. Clearly one month and ten days before. I provided same letter which I received to apply PGWP to CIC as a proof that my last day at school was Dec 14, 2013 and I started my full time job from Dec 16, 2013 on off campus work permit. I am a landed immigrant now.
Hi bro,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I have a question for you would really appreciate if you can answer:
I graduated on 20th April, 2017 and started working full-time from 1st May, 2017 but I applied for my PGWP on 19th July, 2017 & received it on 1sr November 2017. Should I include my work experience towards CEC from 1st May or counting it from 19th July would be better ?

Also, is it a good sign to show full-time experience gained before applying for PGWP ? please note I never had any kind of WP unless I got PGWP.
Looking forward to your reply, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Asim

asimramzan73

Aug 24, 2015
You can count your experience after the date mentioned on your letter of graduation from college/university.. i graduated in May and started working in mid July.. i got my PGWP mid august so technically 1 month experience was not on PGWP.. however, i did have Off-Campus WP which allowed me to legally work full time after completion of my studies.. the experience was counted towards my CEC application as i applied for PR after exactly 53 weeks of work experience (4 of which were on not on PGWP)
Hi bro,

Thanks for sharing your experience, I have a question for you would really appreciate if you can answer:
I graduated on 20th April, 2017 and started working full-time from 1st May, 2017 but I applied for my PGWP on 19th July, 2017 & received it on 1sr November 2017. Should I include my work experience towards CEC from 1st May or counting it from 19th July would be better ?

Also, is it a good sign to show full-time experience gained before applying for PGWP ? please note I never had any kind of WP unless I got PGWP.
Looking forward to your reply, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Asim

Reactions: Saumil shah