Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-08-2010
Passport Req..
26-01-2011
Hi everyone :)

I'm probably not the only person who is staying in Canada with their partner while waiting for the visa to be processed.
Therefore I'm probably not the only one getting bored out of their mind while doing this waiting... And I'm probably also not the only one who would love to work while doing this waiting..!
I am looking into working through an LMO or something (so far so luck..)
But I was just wondering, does any one else have tips/idea's to get off your *ss and not be standing completely still with life/carreer?:D -thought it wouldn't hurt asking around on here ;)
All idea's are welcome..! :)

-Good luck with all of your visa's!!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Work while waiting

BaukjeBecka said:
Hi everyone :)

I'm probably not the only person who is staying in Canada with their partner while waiting for the visa to be processed.
Therefore I'm probably not the only one getting bored out of their mind while doing this waiting... And I'm probably also not the only one who would love to work while doing this waiting..!
I am looking into working through an LMO or something (so far so luck..)
But I was just wondering, does any one else have tips/idea's to get off your *ss and not be standing completely still with life/carreer?:D -thought it wouldn't hurt asking around on here ;)

-Good luck with all of your visa's!!
I am in a similar position, until now I have been renovating our home. I recently have started looking at volunteering.

As you know you cannot work, but volunteering experience is good.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
My boyfriend golfed like a madman in the summer and now lives in the gym.

maja22

Star Member
Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2011
LANDED..........
28-05-2011
I am staying in Ontario and waiting and waiting and waiting too ;D
Not easy and sometimes feels like you missing on something important while you could work and go forward, especially that you are young and wasting best years of your life. By wasting I don't mean that I am not happy being with my husband here, just in terms of work experience, building up your pension! and own development.
So there are some things I decided to do while not working. Taking spanish language class (found fairly cheap evening class), hitting the gym, learned how to make jewelry and making it for myself and friends, hoping to sell some pieces, cooking+baking, travelling (this is great when you don't work you are flexible with travel dates)...Now when I wrote that all stuff down it actually made myself feel better :D.
Although I go crazy sometimes not being able to work..

Teriskier

Star Member
Jun 22, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/09/2010
Med's Done....
14-06-2010
Volunteer work is key! I have been in Canada a year and half now and couldn't work the first 8 months. There were weeks that I would volunteer 40 hours per week, the best part I had ties in my local community in Montreal who have since written me letters of recommendation for jobs. Also, it was a chance to practice French in a "real" environment since Quebec is a bilingual province. Good Luck...there are great websites out there that list all the potential volunteer opportunities in a city usually, you just need to google search them.

quakingaspen

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
I'm waiting in Ontario with my sponsor while we wait for our application to be processed as well. I got in touch with a group in the community that connects volunteers with volunteer opportunities and have been volunteering for a non-profit organization for several months now. I hope that when I'm able to work they'll have a spot for me, but if not, perhaps they'll be able to write me a letter of reccomendation. And if that doesn't work out, at least I will have been able to meet some people and help my new community. :) Volunteer work is a win/win in my opinion.

Jenloy

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for sharing your experiences...I am in the very beginning stages of looking to immigrate to Toronto from the US. My fiance is Canadian (though lived here in the US for years and years). I am now trying to figure out how to be a speedy as possible in terms of being able to work and have health care coverage. I have put a lot of thought into jumping in your alls boat and how I would handle not being able to work for an extended period of time. The volunteer work sounds appealing in terms of integrating into the community and feeling good about time spent but income would be nice too (though I also love getting arts and crafty...hmm!).

Anyways, any advice for a newbie, as to which way to go with the sponsorship application...outland? inland?

Good luck filling your time meaningfully, whatever and however that may be!

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
Jenloy said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences...I am in the very beginning stages of looking to immigrate to Toronto from the US. My fiance is Canadian (though lived here in the US for years and years). I am now trying to figure out how to be a speedy as possible in terms of being able to work and have health care coverage. I have put a lot of thought into jumping in your alls boat and how I would handle not being able to work for an extended period of time. The volunteer work sounds appealing in terms of integrating into the community and feeling good about time spent but income would be nice too (though I also love getting arts and crafty...hmm!).

Anyways, any advice for a newbie, as to which way to go with the sponsorship application...outland? inland?

Hi Jenloy, as far as Health Coverage from the Ontario Government, (OHIP) you are eligible for this 3 months after you become a permanent resident. Even Canadians that leave the country for an extended amount of time (I think 165 days non student) must also abide by this rule. My fiance applied outland so i cannot speak to the inland process as far as work permits go, however if you apply outland (whiich is by far the fastest process for permanent residency from the US, you will be eligible to work as soon as you 'land' in the country. You need to weigh ou t your options as far as whaich process works better for your relationship. You can also apply outland and stay in Canada with your partner 'visiting' not moving to the country while in the application process and travel freely back and forth to the US.

maja22

Star Member
Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2011
LANDED..........
28-05-2011
Jenloy said:

Definetly outland. You can travel home or anywhere else when you are outland and processing time is much faster. Since you don't need visitor visa to Canada I suggest outland.
But if you apply inland, after 1stage aproval you can get work permit (include application for OWP with PR application) and health care. But first stage aproval can take up to 9month to get. Since you are form US, most outland applications in Buffalo will be in their final stage.

maja22

Star Member
Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2011
LANDED..........
28-05-2011
There are many topics regarding outland vs. inland in this forum.
Here is the link of one: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t40460.0.html
but if you use search option you will find many more threads about this. Maybe this will help to decide.

Here is another link: http://immipedia.ca/Overseas_vs_In_Canada

BaukjeBecka

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-08-2010
Passport Req..
26-01-2011
maja22 said:
I am staying in Ontario and waiting and waiting and waiting too ;D
Not easy and sometimes feels like you missing on something important while you could work and go forward, especially that you are young and wasting best years of your life. By wasting I don't mean that I am not happy being with my husband here, just in terms of work experience, building up your pension! and own development.
So there are some things I decided to do while not working. Taking Spanish language class (found fairly cheap evening class), hitting the gym, learned how to make jewelry and making it for myself and friends, hoping to sell some pieces, cooking+baking, traveling (this is great when you don't work you are flexible with travel dates)...Now when I wrote that all stuff down it actually made myself feel better :D.
Although I go crazy sometimes not being able to work..
I totally understand the way you feel Maja, I've got the exact same feeling. And also, that doesn't mean I don't love my fiance here, but it's just hard sometimes.

But thank you and all of you for sharing your idea's! :)
So:
  • Volunteer work
  • Get creative/a hobby
  • Do a course
  • Look for an affordable membership at the gym

Thanks! :D

We don't have a car atm, but like it was meant to be, after I posted this entry, my neighbor asked me if I maybe would like to start coming with them to the gym and they could give me a ride since they go daily. Yay :)

maja22

Star Member
Nov 15, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
17-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2011
LANDED..........
28-05-2011
That's great! You can start with the gym! I need someone who would take me to volunteering :) I have no idea how to start or where to go, I know there are websites for that but it's so new to me and I don't even know what volunteering job you can do. Can you work in office or it's just something different?
:-\

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
I volunteer as a dog walker at a local animal shelter. I just walked in a filled out a volunteer application, it was easy and its very rewarding. They also look for 'cat cuddlers' too.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If anyone is near Ottawa and wants to learn or improve their photography I am happy to teach them.

Maybe a group get together?

PM's welcome.

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
I would love to learn more about photography, but unfortunately i'm over in toronto.
Sounds like fun!