+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wondering about my PR status…

May 15, 2024
So I’ve lived in Canada since I was 13 turning 14 years old or 14 turning 15. Been In Canada for 7 years. 1 year as a student visa and 6 years as a pr status holder. Now my question is, I went home to my motherland in July 2022 to go get an education. My question is how long can I stay out of canada if I’ve lived in Canada for 6 straight years knowing that the pr rule is 2years in every 5 years so yeah. That’s my concern

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I’ve lived in Canada since I was 13 turning 14 years old or 14 turning 15. Been In Canada for 7 years. 1 year as a student visa and 6 years as a pr status holder. Now my question is, I went home to my motherland in July 2022 to go get an education. My question is how long can I stay out of canada if I’ve lived in Canada for 6 straight years knowing that the pr rule is 2years in every 5 years so yeah. That’s my concern
Here's a simpler way to look at the Residency Obligation that is required to maintain PR status:

You only need to have 730 days IN Canada within each rolling 5 year window.

If you left Canada in July 2022, you can return to Canada prior to July 2025 and still be in compliance, albeit barely.

Any days spent in Canada (at any time, looking back) from more than 5 years ago, are no longer even relevant in terms of the R.O. number.

May 15, 2024
What if for some reason I couldn’t make it on July 2025, will my pr status be revoked? Knowing that I didn’t follow the pr obligations? If so can I re apply my pr status if ever? Or is it just a one time thing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if for some reason I couldn’t make it on July 2025, will my pr status be revoked? Knowing that I didn’t follow the pr obligations? If so can I re apply my pr status if ever? Or is it just a one time thing.
You risk losing your PR status. Attending school in your home country is not viewed as an H&C reason more like a personal choice. If you lose your PR status you can reapply if you qualify.