+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

with my PR can i stay in any province in Canada?

amineae80

Star Member
Nov 19, 2011
charlottetown- canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 apr 2015
AOR Received.
6 may 2015
File Transfer...
?????
Interview........
????
good day everyone,
i got my PR through the various Provincial Nomination Program. the question is can i go, work and Seattle in any province in canada other than the province who nominated me?
please comment, have a good day

chatdips

Star Member
Jul 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
Awaiting
Yes. You can except Quebec.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Be careful. Even though you have not signed a binding agreement to stay in this province for x months or years, you do not want it to look like you abused this provincial program to get your PR just so you could settle in another province as it was your plan all along.

If it looks like you did that and if the PNP ever follows up on it, you could be accused of misrepresentation and risk to lose your PR.

Instead, start out in the province that nominated you. Look for a job. Stay for a few months. If you are not happy and can not find a job, you can go ahead and move, even to Quebec if you want to.

If anybody ever comes back to you and asks you why you did not settle in the province that nominated you, you will be able to say that you tried to settle but had a hard time finding a job and that is why you moved.

IVS123

Jul 16, 2012
Leon said:
Be careful. Even though you have not signed a binding agreement to stay in this province for x months or years, you do not want it to look like you abused this provincial program to get your PR just so you could settle in another province as it was your plan all along.

If it looks like you did that and if the PNP ever follows up on it, you could be accused of misrepresentation and risk to lose your PR.

Instead, start out in the province that nominated you. Look for a job. Stay for a few months. If you are not happy and can not find a job, you can go ahead and move, even to Quebec if you want to.

If anybody ever comes back to you and asks you why you did not settle in the province that nominated you, you will be able to say that you tried to settle but had a hard time finding a job and that is why you moved.
Do you mean to say that if you found a job in the province that norminated you, you can not move?

koolkarmaguy

Star Member
Jan 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/08/2010
Nomination.....
12/29/2011
AOR Received.
June 27 2012
Med's Request
June 4 2012
Med's Done....
June 29 2012
Interview........
none. In-process on May 23, 2013.
Passport Req..
September 17 2013
There is nothing legally that holds you to the province that nominated you but I would strongly suggest landing and sticking around in the province that nominated you to begin with. I should you give a decent attempt in finding opportunities in that province and if you don't find anything then you have a good case to backup your move to another state. That's my take.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IVS123 said:
Do you mean to say that if you found a job in the province that norminated you, you can not move?
No, I am not saying you can never move but you have to think about how it will look if anybody asks you in the future. Currently, they are not chasing people who leave their PNP provinces but who knows when they will. There was also a time they did not go after people who landed outside their PNP provinces and now they do. Therefore, you should be prepared. If you have left your PNP province a very short time after landing, that looks bad for you like you planned it all along but if you stayed for a few months at least and then moved, you could argue that you did make an attempt to settle but you had not been able to find a job and so you went to a province where you believed your job opportunities would be better.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
Leon said:
No, I am not saying you can never move but you have to think about how it will look if anybody asks you in the future. Currently, they are not chasing people who leave their PNP provinces but who knows when they will. There was also a time they did not go after people who landed outside their PNP provinces and now they do. Therefore, you should be prepared. If you have left your PNP province a very short time after landing, that looks bad for you like you planned it all along but if you stayed for a few months at least and then moved, you could argue that you did make an attempt to settle but you had not been able to find a job and so you went to a province where you believed your job opportunities would be better.
It is unique that Canada has an immigration system that immigration affairs can be administered at both Federal and provincial level. On the one hand, the provincial nominees are expected to settle in the province which nominates the immigrants and I believe it is also the nominated immigrant's MORAL obligation to do that also; on the other hand, the provinces have no specific rules or policies how to enforce the immigrants to live and work in the provinces nominated them, and people tend to follow wherever the jobs, the relatives, the community, the weather will lead them to go. However, if the immigrants did not live in the provinces they are supposed to do, the whole provincial nomination systems will be questionable. Therefore, pls, if you are provincial nominees, pls stick to it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It was not actually that many years ago that the provincial nominee programs started. Basically, the federal government wanted to give the provinces a chance to bring the people they need. Still, many people have come in through the PNP's of less popular provinces where it is easier and then still take off and settle in the popular provinces like ON or BC.

Legally, it is all very shady and grey at the moment. Nobody signs a contract with a PNP to stay in the province for a number of years or forever and the freedom of movement guarantees a PR the freedom to live and work in any province they choose. However, there is also the moral obligation like you said.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they crack down on this further in the future.

seruj

Jan 13, 2012
ok what if i stayed in the provine who nominated me for 2 years worked full time payed taxes n now dat i got my PR im willing to move to another province which gave a better job????? jus a question...

koolkarmaguy

Star Member
Jan 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/08/2010
Nomination.....
12/29/2011
AOR Received.
June 27 2012
Med's Request
June 4 2012
Med's Done....
June 29 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
September 17 2013
I second you Leon.. Yes..let's not mess the Provincial nomination programs. unless you are in dire straits with respect to your job and life. Give a honest attempt to settling down in your province..

koolkarmaguy

Star Member
Jan 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/08/2010
Nomination.....
12/29/2011
AOR Received.
June 27 2012
Med's Request
June 4 2012
Med's Done....
June 29 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
September 17 2013
If you already did your part by paying taxes etc.... I'd say try to document what was the move exactly for...just to cover your base. Considerations can be for professional growth, productivity and keep money as the last thing in your list.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
seruj said:
ok what if i stayed in the provine who nominated me for 2 years worked full time payed taxes n now dat i got my PR im willing to move to another province which gave a better job????? jus a question...
How long ago did you land as a PR? Whatever you do, you do not want to make it look like you were already planning to leave when you got your PR. You should stay at least a few months after getting your PR.

seruj

Jan 13, 2012
Leon said:
How long ago did you land as a PR? Whatever you do, you do not want to make it look like you were already planning to leave when you got your PR. You should stay at least a few months after getting your PR.
didnt land yet...i was on work permit n lived/worked for 2 yrs...im not movin anyways...jus wanted 2 ask....

candyman2121

Star Member
Jun 26, 2012
Leon said:
It was not actually that many years ago that the provincial nominee programs started. Basically, the federal government wanted to give the provinces a chance to bring the people they need. Still, many people have come in through the PNP's of less popular provinces where it is easier and then still take off and settle in the popular provinces like ON or BC.

Legally, it is all very shady and grey at the moment. Nobody signs a contract with a PNP to stay in the province for a number of years or forever and the freedom of movement guarantees a PR the freedom to live and work in any province they choose. However, there is also the moral obligation like you said.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they crack down on this further in the future.

What if someone was living in that province for landing..Say if you were working in Saskatchewan and after PR you moved to Ontario to do a program of your choice...Will it matter..?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
candyman2121 said:
What if someone was living in that province for landing..Say if you were working in Saskatchewan and after PR you moved to Ontario to do a program of your choice...Will it matter..?
When you applied for the PR, you said you will settle in this province. When you landed, it must still be true.

If you move away from that province a very short time after landing, you know it will look like you already knew that when you landed because nobody moves house with a very short notice. If you already knew that when you landed, you commited misrepresentation when you landed because you did not inform that your situation had changed and you were no longer willing to settle in this province. If you had informed them, because it is a PNP PR, you would not have gotten your PR.

So.. if you really want to move to another province, at least be smart enough to stay for at least several months after landing so it doesn't look like you were planning this beforehand.