+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Winnipeg - 2017 Citizenship Applicants

dutts

Star Member
Jun 15, 2017
Hello Folks,

Those of you who have taken the test already, would you mind sharing your experience, for example, how many people were there in the test room and so on. Thanks a lot.
We had around 12 - 15 people taking the exam. that day.

wkazi14

Jun 11, 2018
Hello, Need some guidance:
so my file is also from winnipeg.

It has been stuck on this:
I have not seen any update since January of this year..
I came to canada on student visa basis originally before getting my PR - if that makes difference.

What are your thoughts?

Citizenship
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 23, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 27, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on January 19, 2018

N_Shine

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Has either one of you tried to call IRCC?
Hi there. I applied Oct 16th, AOR Nov 29th and IP Jan 11.. Since then no update, each time I called IRCC, I was told background check still in process and even my MP was rold the same thing. Whereas my friends who are from same country as mine applied from Toronto and Montreal, they completed their application in 7 months. So basically we cannot do anything beside waiting :(

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Hi there. I applied Oct 16th, AOR Nov 29th and IP Jan 11.. Since then no update, each time I called IRCC, I was told background check still in process and even my MP was rold the same thing. Whereas my friends who are from same country as mine applied from Toronto and Montreal, they completed their application in 7 months. So basically we cannot do anything beside waiting :(
Your Member of Parliament followed up on your case? Well, in a way that's good that you have the backing of your MP should this prolong too much. If you had to provide FP, it may be because of that. I know someone who had to provide them and is also waiting. It also may be that you have a very common name and that is why it is taking so long.

There's also just the general issue of the backlog of October. Just from the spreadsheet, the number of applicants increased ten times, so I can only imagine the backlog they must have from October applications and any applications after that. If your friends applied at the very start of October maybe they were ahead of the big bulk of applications and that is why theirs was processed so fast.

YWG3

May 23, 2018
Your Member of Parliament followed up on your case? Well, in a way that's good that you have the backing of your MP should this prolong too much. If you had to provide FP, it may be because of that. I know someone who had to provide them and is also waiting. It also may be that you have a very common name and that is why it is taking so long.

There's also just the general issue of the backlog of October. Just from the spreadsheet, the number of applicants increased ten times, so I can only imagine the backlog they must have from October applications and any applications after that. If your friends applied at the very start of October maybe they were ahead of the big bulk of applications and that is why theirs was processed so fast.
I would like to believe that what everyone has said above is true, however, I want to believe that there is a little bit of statistics in play here.

IMHO, the IRCC has average processing times of 1 year and the key here is AVG. This is what most government department do in these cases, a few applications are processed quickly (less than 6 months), a few are processed averagely (6 to 12 months) whilst the remainder will go over 12 months. Statistically, the processing times will stay on AVG at 12 months.

The issue here is where each one of us fall in this category! It is the luck of the draw :);):(

N_Shine

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017

No I not have any backings. We just asked the MP to ask IRCC on our behalf what is taking so long and they told the MP what I already knewThats all. They did not ask for any FP neither any more info, no updates beside that I have been in process since Jan 11. I also submitted a police certificate from my home country. Oh well. It is just a waiting game

N_Shine

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
I would like to believe that what everyone has said above is true, however, I want to believe that there is a little bit of statistics in play here.

IMHO, the IRCC has average processing times of 1 year and the key here is AVG. This is what most government department do in these cases, a few applications are processed quickly (less than 6 months), a few are processed averagely (6 to 12 months) whilst the remainder will go over 12 months. Statistically, the processing times will stay on AVG at 12 months.

The issue here is where each one of us fall in this category! It is the luck of the draw :);):(
Yeah true. I just thought I would be processed quickly lol since no travels past 4 years, homemaker, husband RN with health Canada, staying in Nursing Station appartment past 3.5years, no trouble with police laws. Pretty straight forward lol.. Like you said some are lucky some arent

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
No I not have any backings. We just asked the MP to ask IRCC on our behalf what is taking so long and they told the MP what I already knewThats all. They did not ask for any FP neither any more info, no updates beside that I have been in process since Jan 11. I also submitted a police certificate from my home country. Oh well. It is just a waiting game
If you had to provide police records from your home country, that would definitely cause a delay. Not sure why your friends from the same country didn't face such a delay. In any case, fingers crossed that you will receive the test invite in the next few days.

Jun 1, 2018
Well there are a lot of applicants who applied in November got their oath by now. Unfortunately many of them are welfare boums (I came to learn this from my community friends). Then why I am paying 15K taxes every year and being treated like a 3rd class resident by CSIS for their so called security check BS. As N_Shine noted that they are professional family with no ties to police, I also consider myself hardworking law abiding resident. Then why is this discrimination? Is there a political agenda? May be. If you look at Manitobas demographic change past 15 years, you will see it's a duopoly by 2 communities. So we don't have big community in the province to back our application so it gets processed faster. I guess its about time we victims should get together and demand our rights or even take legal action to get a decision (any decision APPROVAL or REJECTION) within the allocated time. Let us move on.

Vault0109

Mar 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2012
AOR Received.
25-04-2012
Passport Req..
28-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-08-2013
Finally, just received my test invite from mail.

Here is my timeline:
1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 16, 2017.
3. We started processing your application on December 21, 2017.
4. We sent you correspondence on January 11, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

Reactions: permafrost_can
Jun 1, 2018
Finally, just received my test invite from mail.

Here is my timeline:
1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on October 16, 2017.
3. We started processing your application on December 21, 2017.
4. We sent you correspondence on January 11, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
When is the test date my friend?