+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Winnipeg - 2017 Citizenship Applicants

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
We are officially Canadian citizens (as of an hour ago).
The way the ceremony works:
you show up (as everyone else who is taking the oath that day) around the required time, and you line up to give your PR card and sign a few papers. The line up is probably what takes the longest (there were 81 people taking the oath today, including minors).
After everyone has signed the papers and taken his or her seat, the judge addresses the audience (for about 40 minutes). Then, the oath is taken as a group.
After the oath, each family is called by name to go pick up their certificate of citizenship and sign one last time.
When everyone has returned to his or her seat, we sing O Canada as a group. This officially closes the ceremony.
People may decide to stay after the hymn to take pictures with officials (the judge, the RCMP officer, etc...).

One important piece of advice: even though you may want to bring your kids with you, I strongly recommend against bringing toddlers. I have 2 kids (they are 5 and 2), and I really, really, wanted to take them with us today, because it is such an important day. Seeing the official recommendations though (you are supposed to stay in the room for the entire length of the ceremony, so if your child cries, you are supposed to have someone else with you who could take him or her out of the room), we decided not to bring them with us, and we are glad we made that decision.
There were quite a few toddlers in the room today, and the poor things were exhausted. It was even hard for the judge to speak sometimes, because the little ones were making their presence known one after the other.
To be honest, it would be hard for any kid to sit quietly throughout the entire ceremony (for us, the whole thing took about 2 hours). If you can bring someone along to take care of them if they cry, go for it. If you can't (like us), give yourself a break, go as adults, and celebrate with your little ones right after.

Good luck everyone! You are almost there!
Congratulations!!

I have a couple questions about the ceremony. I know they keep your PR card, do they also take your COPR or do they give it back to you? Also, is the oath in English, then French, or do French and English speakers say it simultaneously?

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations!!

I have a couple questions about the ceremony. I know they keep your PR card, do they also take your COPR or do they give it back to you? Also, is the oath in English, then French, or do French and English speakers say it simultaneously?
I don't recall them taking the COPR. The oath is done in English then French, and everyone is asked to say it in both languages (it's okay if you don't speak both, just go with reproducing what the judge says).

Reactions: permafrost_can

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
I don't recall them taking the COPR. The oath is done in English then French, and everyone is asked to say it in both languages (it's okay if you don't speak both, just go with reproducing what the judge says).
Oh, that's really cool!

Thank you for your quick reply, and congratulations again :)

as1985

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
AOR Received.
January 2012
We are officially Canadian citizens (as of an hour ago).
The way the ceremony works:
you show up (as everyone else who is taking the oath that day) around the required time, and you line up to give your PR card and sign a few papers. The line up is probably what takes the longest (there were 81 people taking the oath today, including minors).
After everyone has signed the papers and taken his or her seat, the judge addresses the audience (for about 40 minutes). Then, the oath is taken as a group.
After the oath, each family is called by name to go pick up their certificate of citizenship and sign one last time.
When everyone has returned to his or her seat, we sing O Canada as a group. This officially closes the ceremony.
People may decide to stay after the hymn to take pictures with officials (the judge, the RCMP officer, etc...).

One important piece of advice: even though you may want to bring your kids with you, I strongly recommend against bringing toddlers. I have 2 kids (they are 5 and 2), and I really, really, wanted to take them with us today, because it is such an important day. Seeing the official recommendations though (you are supposed to stay in the room for the entire length of the ceremony, so if your child cries, you are supposed to have someone else with you who could take him or her out of the room), we decided not to bring them with us, and we are glad we made that decision.
There were quite a few toddlers in the room today, and the poor things were exhausted. It was even hard for the judge to speak sometimes, because the little ones were making their presence known one after the other.
To be honest, it would be hard for any kid to sit quietly throughout the entire ceremony (for us, the whole thing took about 2 hours). If you can bring someone along to take care of them if they cry, go for it. If you can't (like us), give yourself a break, go as adults, and celebrate with your little ones right after.

Good luck everyone! You are almost there!

Congrats!
Was your ceremony at VIA Rail office or FortWhyte Alive?

winnipeg2013

Star Member
Nov 14, 2017
I am one of those november applicant who is still waiting for test invitation. It is really frustrating. Any one from October/November winnipeg applicants still waiting for test invitation??

as1985

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
AOR Received.
January 2012
I am one of those november applicant who is still waiting for test invitation. It is really frustrating. Any one from October/November winnipeg applicants still waiting for test invitation??
I know someone who is not on this forum but in similar situation as yours. She applied in November 2017 and still waiting for Test Invite. I think her application has been IP since January.

phlove

Star Member
Feb 26, 2015
Winnipeg MB CA
Visa Office......
canada
App. Filed.......
18/Oct/2017
i m 20 oct applicant and i got letter for test but i requested to change date bcoz i made my vacation plan and all air ticket booked so ..
got letter on 28th May but date printed on letter was 22th May .

Jun 1, 2018
I know someone who is not on this forum but in similar situation as yours. She applied in November 2017 and still waiting for Test Invite. I think her application has been IP since January.
My application is "in process" from January too. I am really disgusted, not sure CSIS or which department holding my application. But I guess it's usually the CSIS. I'll have 1.5 month overseas vacation coming up from Mid August. Not sure should I get a lawyer or not.

as1985

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
AOR Received.
January 2012
My application is "in process" from January too. I am really disgusted, not sure CSIS or which department holding my application. But I guess it's usually the CSIS. I'll have 1.5 month overseas vacation coming up from Mid August. Not sure should I get a lawyer or not.
I am afraid lawyer won’t be able to help unless your application is eligible for urgent processing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html