+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will we need a CSQ??

BeeQC

Sep 10, 2014
Hi all!

My partner and I met in Japan and applied for Sponsorship while we were there (I'm Canadian, he's a kiwi). We have just finished our job contracts in Japan so we will each be returning to our home countries while the process is still going on.

My question is, I live in Montreal, i.e. I'm staying with my parents for a while, but we have no intention of living in Quebec. Will he need to apply for a CSQ? If so, how difficult is that process? (I'm not a francophone and he speaks zero French, so I'm a bit worried...)

Thank you!

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
If you and your partner submit the application while you are living in Québec, you will almost certainly be asked to provide a CSQ. Although you may intend to move out of the province, from CIC's point of view if they processed the application instantly your partner would have to move to Québec to be with you.

For family class applicants, the CSQ process is straightforward and reasonably quick. The application process is on MICC's website, just complete and mail in the package alongside a copy of your Sponsorship Approval letter that asks you to obtain a CSQ. Those sponsoring simply a spouse or common-law partner (no dependent children) have no minimum income requirement.

As part of the package, you will have to sign an undertaking for financial support if the new-PR receives social assistance; your spouse or partner will also have to sign the "Declaration on the common values of québec society" saying that they are willing to abide by Québec values and "want to learn French." This declaration is not particularly legally enforceable.

For your (the sponsor's) portion of the CSQ application, the French version is the official version, although there are English forms to use as a translation guide. The applicant's section can be completed in either English or French.

If you move away from Québec during the processing of the application, you will need to complete and submit a Federal undertaking form including the Option-C printout from Revenue Canada. (Option-C is not necessary for the CSQ.)

BeeQC

Sep 10, 2014
We applied while we were living in Japan and I'm now back in Canada temporarily staying with my parents in QC, then I'm moving to BC with my partner as soon as he gets approved. (which shouldn't take more than a few months, apparently). We didn't use any of the Quebec forms because we don't intend on moving here, so all of the paperwork we submitted was under the Federal process, not Quebec...

The letter I received after Sponsorship Approval says this

Provincial Requirements for Residents of Quebec

If you are a resident of the province of Québec, you must submit an undertaking application to the Provincial Government. To download the required forms, please consult the Ministère de l'immigration, de la diversité et de l'inclusion (MIDI) website at www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca (Sponsors and Sponsored Persons section). Complete the required forms and promptly submit them to the MIDI at the address provided in the provincial guide. Do not submit any of the MIDI forms to this office as they will only be returned to you. You must enclose a copy of this correspondence with your undertaking application to MIDI. If you received this communication via email, you may print a copy to be enclosed with your undertaking application to MIDI.
When I received this letter, I was residing in Japan, so I kind of ignored that part (it says "if"), but now that I'm back in Canada, visiting my parents I'm confused...

Also, if we need to get a CSQ, does that mean he will need to come into Canada via Montreal? Because flying to Vancouver would be soooo much cheaper for us... Sorry for the long and confusing story...

Majromax

Nov 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2014-10-21
AOR Received.
2015-01-11 [Inland AOR rec'd 2014-11-19, corrected]
File Transfer...
2015-01-20 [CSQ applied Feb 9, issued Feb 19]
Passport Req..
[IP: 2015-06-10; DM: 2015-06-30]
VISA ISSUED...
2015-07-20
LANDED..........
2015-07-27
BeeQC said:
When I received this letter, I was residing in Japan, so I kind of ignored that part (it says "if"), but now that I'm back in Canada, visiting my parents I'm confused...
What's your mailing address, as far as CIC is concerned? If you're "just visiting" your parents but are receiving mail with them and have a Québec health card, then you're enough of a resident that CIC will likely want a CSQ.

Also, if we need to get a CSQ, does that mean he will need to come into Canada via Montreal? Because flying to Vancouver would be soooo much cheaper for us... Sorry for the long and confusing story...
No, he can still land at any border crossing that provides immigration services.

BeeQC

Sep 10, 2014
Thank you for all your replies! I called the CIC and they told me pretty much what you guys said. They said that I should email the Visa Office and tell them that even though I am in Quebec, I'm just visiting my parents or something like that. Hopefully that will be enough and he won't need a CSQ :D