+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will temporary layoff related to covid affect my amount of Canadian Experience?

gopal_chode75

Jun 2, 2020
I started working on July 2019 but I was on a temporary layoff just for a month(May) due to covid19. Now I'm qualified for Canadian Experience class since I have 11 months of Canadian Experience.(I haven't received the invitation yet but I have 479 points)

I'm wondering if I have to update this temporary layoff on the Express entry portal. Please note that I was still employed by my employer during that one month layoff period.

Few immigration consultants suggested me not to update the profile with this layoff since it was not a permanent layoff. Also, they told me I need not worry about this since I will have one year of experience by the time I submit my documents.

Can anyone please validate this? I'm curious to know if there are anyone on the same boat and how they are taking this further ?

Thanks.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I started working on July 2019 but I was on a temporary layoff just for a month(May) due to covid19. Now I'm qualified for Canadian Experience class since I have 11 months of Canadian Experience.(I haven't received the invitation yet but I have 479 points)

I'm wondering if I have to update this temporary layoff on the Express entry portal. Please note that I was still employed by my employer during that one month layoff period.

Few immigration consultants suggested me not to update the profile with this layoff since it was not a permanent layoff. Also, they told me I need not worry about this since I will have one year of experience by the time I submit my documents.

Can anyone please validate this? I'm curious to know if there are anyone on the same boat and how they are taking this further ?

Thanks.
A period of layoff cannot be considered as work experience, this is logical.

IRCC only considers paid leaves such as paid vacations for up to 2-3 weeks per year towards your work experience. Any other sort of leaves cannot be counted towards your work experience.

You have been getting poor advice from those immigration consultants. If you don't submit your paystubs, IRCC might very well ask for them down the road and it will be reflected in them that you were not being paid meaning that you didn't work for that month.

You should either update your profile, or if you don't just keep it as is but just make sure to apply once you have actually reached the 1-year experience (1560 hours over a period of at least 52 weeks, not necessarily continuous) and make sure that your letter of experience clearly indicated the periods in which you were actually working.

On the other hand, you could not disclose this and try to submit your application a month earlier, however, you could be risking potential refusal of your application or even worse... I don't think its worth risking it when you could just wait for another month and make things the right way.

Reactions: Jaimeavila

Sandhugagan

Oct 5, 2020
i am also have the same situation.
i was temporary laid off from 23March 2020 to 25 April 2020.
and there is no any option to put dates also.
Now, i have more than 18 months experience.
Should i need to edit my profile?
if i try, i can only put months

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
i am also have the same situation.
i was temporary laid off from 23March 2020 to 25 April 2020.
and there is no any option to put dates also.
Now, i have more than 18 months experience.
Should i need to edit my profile?
if i try, i can only put months
You should only apply after you have accrued enough qualifying hours. Yes, the system doesn't allow you to be too specific with dates. However, you can do the math yourself and make sure you apply only once you've accumulated at least 1 year worth of experience.

Shaina b

Mar 2, 2020
You should only apply after you have accrued enough qualifying hours. Yes, the system doesn't allow you to be too specific with dates. However, you can do the math yourself and make sure you apply only once you've accumulated at least 1 year worth of experience.

Shaina b

Mar 2, 2020
I have same situation, I am claiming point with 1 year experience but I did not mention my layoff in ee profile but now my ee shows 2 year experience, is this possible I will remove that extra 8 months if my cutoff score is matching with 1 year? Please help

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I have same situation, I am claiming point with 1 year experience but I did not mention my layoff in ee profile but now my ee shows 2 year experience, is this possible I will remove that extra 8 months if my cutoff score is matching with 1 year? Please help
Then you have not done things correctly. You should indicate the actual dates you worked. Of course if you tell the system you've been working for 2 years, then it'll think that's the case.

karwa.ankit10

Aug 3, 2022
Hello
Im also in same situation, I was laid off for 2 months in covid april and may 2020 .I only have 10 months of experience. after that i worked part time in same company and returned to my country in September 2020.
i started my full time from September 2019- August 2020. I have 4 months of noc b part time experience from May 2019 to August 2019.