+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian work experience in time of Covid-19

MandeepSinghBatth

Sep 24, 2018
Hi,
I started my job in Canada in july 2019, due to covid-19 I got temporarily laid-off for 4 weeks from work. After 4 weeks I started my full-time job. I have my express entry profile according to which I might get invitation in july this year on the completion of full time canadian work experince. will my 4 week layoff be counted towards my 1 year full time work experience or what I should do in case I get invitation in july under express entry. Thanks all of you in advance.

MandeepSinghBatth

Sep 24, 2018
No, your 4 weeks unemployed will not count.

You must enter your work experience as two separate line items so that the 4 weeks out of work does not get counted.
what if I apply one month after getting ITA as by then I would have completed one year experience in canada

MandeepSinghBatth

Sep 24, 2018
Firstly, you must adjust your work experience so that the 1 month gap is reflected.

If you then receive an ITA before you have actually completed one full year, it will be due to how the system calculates work experience (based on months only).

In that case, it appears you can wait until you have actually completed the full year and then submit your application. This was confirmed by an IRCC tweet that someone shared on the forum. Note I have not verified the authenticity of that tweet.
I will ask my lawyer to do this.Is there a way I can contact IRCC on this question? thanks for your helpful reply

MandeepSinghBatth

Sep 24, 2018
You can try tweeting at them (as others have done before) or go the traditional route and send a webform enquiry.
I will ask my lawyer to do this.Is there a way I can contact IRCC on this question? thanks for your helpful reply
Firstly, you must adjust your work experience so that the 1 month gap is reflected.

If you then receive an ITA before you have actually completed one full year, it will be due to how the system calculates work experience (based on months only).

In that case, it appears you can wait until you have actually completed the full year and then submit your application. This was confirmed by an IRCC tweet that someone shared on the forum. Note I have not verified the authenticity of that tweet.
could you please share with me the same tweet by IRCC that someone shared on the forum? Thanks

MandeepSinghBatth

Sep 24, 2018
No, your 4 weeks unemployed will not count.

You must enter your work experience as two separate line items so that the 4 weeks out of work does not get counted.
@dan_and do I need to add new job under work history in my express entry profile to reflect the lay-off gap of 4 weeks? I am asking this so that I can tell my immigration lawyer about what changes actually he should make in my EE profile to emit the lay-off from my experience.