+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will PR card number change after renewal

a41g

Jun 28, 2016
Hi guys, need some help.

I need to provide flight details for my urgent processing of PR card renewal. The flight booking need my PR card details. So, will my PR card number change after renewal?

BR.

a41g

Jun 28, 2016
Hi guys, need some help.

I need to provide flight details for my urgent processing of PR card renewal. The flight booking need my PR card details. So, will my PR card number change after renewal?

BR.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR card number - the field marked ID No - is your UCI#; so no, it will not change.
PR card number and PR ID numbers (UCI#) are not the same. PR card number is the alpha-numeric on the back (2 letters + 7 numbers).

Since a UCI doesn't change, do you know if the PR card number (on the back) changes (like a passport)?

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
PR card number and PR ID numbers (UCI#) are not the same. PR card number is the alpha-numeric on the back (2 letters + 7 numbers).

Since a UCI doesn't change, do you know if the PR card number (on the back) changes (like a passport)?
Good point - no, I don't.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The number on the back will be different for renewed PR card, mine is. How is that significant?
As I understand it (but I have no inside info):
-the PR number or UCI on the front is unchanging and will stay with a PR/citizen (or even one-time TRV holder) for life. That's how you identify yourself, basically. It's irrelevant whether the card is 'valid' or whatever else - it's used to identify you (or more accurately perhaps, your file(s) in the system). Hence unique client identifier. Largely speaking it's the most relevant.

-I believe the number on the back is the physical card identifier. You may get asked to enter it in certain circumstances to ensure that you have a current, valid, physical card, including one in the database. Changed any time they issue a new one (and flag old ones as expired or stolen or lost, for example).

I assume that this latter number may also have some security features/mathematical formulae behind it that allows it to be identified as (potentially) a real card, i.e. a random string of letters and numbers can be identified as fake, and/or links it somehow to the holder of the card (checksums of some of the info on the front encoded in that number). Note, I don't know anything about this, but it's pretty simple stuff to do - it would allow check-in personnel to key in or even read over a phone small subsets of data and get some kind of 'seems legit' or 'check again' response. Or in simple terms, somewhat like a credit card number can be identified as not real with a simple algorithm. Not the only security feature of course but one that doesn't require physical examination.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As I understand it (but I have no inside info):
-the PR number or UCI on the front is unchanging and will stay with a PR/citizen (or even one-time TRV holder) for life. That's how you identify yourself, basically. It's irrelevant whether the card is 'valid' or whatever else - it's used to identify you (or more accurately perhaps, your file(s) in the system). Hence unique client identifier. Largely speaking it's the most relevant.

-I believe the number on the back is the physical card identifier. You may get asked to enter it in certain circumstances to ensure that you have a current, valid, physical card, including one in the database. Changed any time they issue a new one (and flag old ones as expired or stolen or lost, for example).

I assume that this latter number may also have some security features/mathematical formulae behind it that allows it to be identified as (potentially) a real card, i.e. a random string of letters and numbers can be identified as fake, and/or links it somehow to the holder of the card (checksums of some of the info on the front encoded in that number). Note, I don't know anything about this, but it's pretty simple stuff to do - it would allow check-in personnel to key in or even read over a phone small subsets of data and get some kind of 'seems legit' or 'check again' response. Or in simple terms, somewhat like a credit card number can be identified as not real with a simple algorithm. Not the only security feature of course but one that doesn't require physical examination.
I concur; The ID number on the front of the card (being the PR's UCI number) will not change on any future PR cards. It also seems to make sense that the number on the back will change, since that's how most passports are updated as well. However...why does a DL always keep the same number?

I do wonder about the string of numbers and characters on the lower back of the card. It's easy enough to discern the UCI number and D.O.B., but beyond that...no clue.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I concur; The ID number on the front of the card (being the PR's UCI number) will not change on any future PR cards. It also seems to make sense that the number on the back will change, since that's how most passports are updated as well. However...why does a DL always keep the same number?

I do wonder about the string of numbers and characters on the lower back of the card. It's easy enough to discern the UCI number and D.O.B., but beyond that...no clue.
Driver's license: same approach basically. At least in Ontario there's another set of numbers on back, as well as bar and qr-type block codes.

And now that I check I see the PR card has bar codes as well. The string of numbers and whatnot below is similar, but designed for a VERY simple machine-readable format that is basically the same as in passports - the scheme was devised or approved by ICAO for international use ages ago (like 30-50 years, too lazy to look it up).

For passports, you can loook it up how it breaks down, I presume somewhere you could find this for the PR card, or break it down with a few cards and a bit of work, but I can't be bothered.

Reactions: Ponga

annie464

Dec 25, 2015
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
SVO, NOVA SCOTIA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 21, 2016
Doc's Request.
Feb 13, 2017
AOR Received.
Oct 30, 2016
Med's Request
Nov 18, 2016
Med's Done....
Nov 19, 2016 RPRF PAID: Dec 16, 2016
I think he is talking about alpha numeric number back of your card
Yes it changes I compared my spouse pr card and renewed pr card both have different numbers