+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my US CPA get me additional points?

Nithiya

Aug 30, 2019
I have a bachelors and my US CPA scores (all 4 exams). Will I get any additional points for CPA or will only my bachelors in commerce be considered? Please let me know.

hasithaviduranga

Star Member
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton Alberta
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-02-2019
AOR Received.
11-04-2019
Med's Request
22-05-2019
Med's Done....
31-05-2019
I have a bachelors and my US CPA scores (all 4 exams). Will I get any additional points for CPA or will only my bachelors in commerce be considered? Please let me know.
Either of it you will have to do an ECA from any of the agencies. Traditionally it's only WES does evaluations for accounting professional qualifications. Non-of the other agencies are evaluating accounting professional qualifications (Not that I know. At least as per my knowledge).

But WES does not evaluate US CFA for some reason as per my experience. So, I'm expecting the same for US CPA. The difference being, at least I suspect, most of the Australian, and UK accounting qualifications are not pre-qualification based certifications. Meaning, if you are taking UK based accounting qualification you would have to take more than 15 exams, similar to a degree. In contrast, US accounting or finance qualification assesses the pre-qualifications and conduct only 3 or 4 exams to qualify. If you think in this way, your CPA, most probably won't recognized as a degree in Canada. But your Bachelors would be.

On a side note, my CPA Australia was not evaluated by WES as a full qualification. Also, to fulfill you US CPA eligibility requirements you may have had to taken 120 semester hour bachelors degree and at least post-graduate diploma for another 36 hours. If that is so those could be qualify as two or more certificates one may be 3 or more years bachelor degree.

Because, I have under taken Bachelor degree and Master Degree to be eligible to sit for US CPA exams. Those were evaluated as 4 year bachelor degree and 2 year master degree by ICES. In that case I recommend you to go with ICES rather than WES.

Reactions: qa1

Nithiya

Aug 30, 2019
I do not have a masters degree. So going by the current scenario, WES would probably just evaluate only 3 years of Bcom right?

Reactions: qa1

hasithaviduranga

Star Member
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton Alberta
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-02-2019
AOR Received.
11-04-2019
Med's Request
22-05-2019
Med's Done....
31-05-2019
I do not have a masters degree. So going by the current scenario, WES would probably just evaluate only 3 years of Bcom right?
If that is so it may be. But I have not heard any one from US CPA evaluated or not for certain. But CFA not.

And this is not a professional advice. This is only my experience and knowledge just for your information sake. Probably you could try you luck with US CPA researching all the 5 agencies and making inquires. Good Luck !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dec 25, 2019
Either of it you will have to do an ECA from any of the agencies. Traditionally it's only WES does evaluations for accounting professional qualifications. Non-of the other agencies are evaluating accounting professional qualifications (Not that I know. At least as per my knowledge).

But WES does not evaluate US CFA for some reason as per my experience. So, I'm expecting the same for US CPA. The difference being, at least I suspect, most of the Australian, and UK accounting qualifications are not pre-qualification based certifications. Meaning, if you are taking UK based accounting qualification you would have to take more than 15 exams, similar to a degree. In contrast, US accounting or finance qualification assesses the pre-qualifications and conduct only 3 or 4 exams to qualify. If you think in this way, your CPA, most probably won't recognized as a degree in Canada. But your Bachelors would be.

On a side note, my CPA Australia was not evaluated by WES as a full qualification. Also, to fulfill you US CPA eligibility requirements you may have had to taken 120 semester hour bachelors degree and at least post-graduate diploma for another 36 hours. If that is so those could be qualify as two or more certificates one may be 3 or more years bachelor degree.

Because, I have under taken Bachelor degree and Master Degree to be eligible to sit for US CPA exams. Those were evaluated as 4 year bachelor degree and 2 year master degree by ICES. In that case I recommend you to go with ICES rather than WES.
could you please clarify what do you mean by cpa australia was not evaluated as full qualification? Did you get any extra points for it ?

hasithaviduranga

Star Member
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton Alberta
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-02-2019
AOR Received.
11-04-2019
Med's Request
22-05-2019
Med's Done....
31-05-2019
could you please clarify what do you mean by cpa australia was not evaluated as full qualification? Did you get any extra points for it ?
I do not know any one who evaluated CPA Australia as a diploma or degree equivalent in Canada. Also, when I send transcripts to WES they did not recognize it as anything. However, I have not done CPA Australia full exams to get the membership. It was through a reciprocal agreement between CIMA UK and CPA Australia. If you have done the full exams to get the membership you can try sending it to WES for evaluation. Please post your outcome here. So that all would see it in the future.

I haven't claim any points for my professional qualifications cause my bachelors and masters maxed up the total points for education. You should mention those in your personal information along with the certificates to prove you have educational background for your chosen NOC for immigration officer's assessment.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019
I do not know any one who evaluated CPA Australia as a diploma or degree equivalent in Canada. Also, when I send transcripts to WES they did not recognize it as anything. However, I have not done CPA Australia full exams to get the membership. It was through a reciprocal agreement between CIMA UK and CPA Australia. If you have done the full exams to get the membership you can try sending it to WES for evaluation. Please post your outcome here. So that all would see it in the future.

I haven't claim any points for my professional qualifications cause my bachelors and masters maxed up the total points for education. You should mention those in your personal information along with the certificates to prove you have educational background for your chosen NOC for immigration officer's assessment.
thank you so much for your response. I will provide an update once the Assessment is received l.

mark12345680

May 26, 2018

Hey there, I am admitted to be a member of CPA Australia through exam +3 year experience. I will apply for WES evaluation. I know this will be a long shot. But when I have my results back. I shall let you guys know the outcome

Dec 25, 2019
Hey there, I am admitted to be a member of CPA Australia through exam +3 year experience. I will apply for WES evaluation. I know this will be a long shot. But when I have my results back. I shall let you guys know the outcome
When did you send your assessment? When is it due?

deepikajn7

Sep 2, 2020
I have also done my CPA and want to apply to Canada express entry program. I want to apply for my CPA transcripts for my ECA, but could not find any link to apply the transcripts on Guam board's site. Can somebody please guide me how can i apply for CPA transcripts from Guam board of accountancy?