+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will immigrants get the right job?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wonder what Canada is playing at when I see this sort of statistic.

Roughly 40 per cent of immigrants aged 25 to 54 are overqualified for the jobs they are working in, according to Statistics Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And what is the percentage of Canadians who are overqualified for their jobs? :)

It would also be interesting to see a breakdown among the immigrants of how long they have been here. I bet you that the percentage is a lot higher in their first year after coming to Canada than say 3-5 years after coming to Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
And what is the percentage of Canadians who are overqualified for their jobs? :)

It would also be interesting to see a breakdown among the immigrants of how long they have been here. I bet you that the percentage is a lot higher in their first year after coming to Canada than say 3-5 years after coming to Canada.
Well, getting info' out of statscan is like trying to get an octopus out of a lump of swiss cheese, the answers may take some time :)

I agree that the percentage is likely to be much higher in first year immigrants.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Generally speaking employment, unemployment and, I suspect, underemployment rates tend toward the national average over time according to the results of the Longitudinal Study of Immigrants to Canada. But after 2 years employment rates for immigrants in the prime working age group (25-54) was still 18% below the national rate.

For new Canadians the unemployment rate after four years was almost three (2.8 actually) times the national average for the entire group and double the national average for skilled workers. And LSIC immigrants settling in Quebec experienced unemployment rates of nearly 30% almost double the immigrant average and more than four times the national average.

I don't have any comparables for underemployment to the national average, but pre-migration and post-migration employment data demonstrates that immigrants experience underemployment. Of the LSIC immigrants four out of five (81%) held positions in their home country that usually require postsecondary education or apprenticeship training. After four years in Canada just over half (54%) held jobs requiring a similar skill level. And immigrants remain over represented in low skilled occupations compared to pre-migration patterns even after 4 years in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We know all this but I ask myself, isn't unemployment among immigrants always higher than among the natives in every country?

When we as immigrants are applying for jobs, with our foreign education and work experience and less than perfect English, I think we suffer but since it was our choice to immigrate, we just have to work harder and show that we as good or better.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
A good question, Leon, and probably true, but isn't it Canada's primary intention to attract workers, preferably skilled ones, through immigration (family unification and humanitarian immigrants are a much smaller percentage of the total) in order to increase economic productivity to compete in a global marketplace?

Foreign education not withstanding (since Canada seeks immigrant candidates who are already educated as part of the screening to let you in, right?), after four years of Canadian experience and competent English language skills shouldn't it be reasonable to expect to be just as employable as everyone else? If not, should it be reasonable to expect after 10 years and/or after attaining a new Canadian degree? If it takes longer or isn't going to happen at all, what is point in trying to attract already skilled workers then?

Allison

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AllisonVSC said:
If it takes longer or isn't going to happen at all, what is point in trying to attract already skilled workers then?
You get cab drivers you can actually have a conversation with? :D

No, actually, the 40% is a number thrown out there. When I immigrated, I think CIC sent me a letter after 6 months asking what I was up to. If those kind of letters are what they are using for the 40%, I am not surprised. It can often take more than 6 months to get a good job.

I also think that the ideas of immigration do not always go together with the reality in the working world. Lets say immigration asks the employers who they need. They name an occupation. Immigration puts the occupation on the list. People of that occupation apply and get their PR, only to find out that the Canadian employers, although they need people in that field are still not ready to hire people with foreign education or that the association of people with said education refuses to license them or something like that. Maybe immigration should take this into account too before they add occupations, questions like can this person get licensed to work in Canada and would employers want to hire them. If the answer is no, they might want to fill those occupations by adding immigration options for international students studying that subject.

Honolulu

Jan 14, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 25th 2009 ( at Sydney)
LANDED..........
December 29th
So things get better with time I gather?
Why do jobs have to be so much hidden in the beginning?
Are we desperately lacking in networking skills?

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
Only one word gives complete adequate explaination and description :
People might hate n hate me for saying it here but I am bold enough today atleast:
"Discrimination"

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
I think govt should charge some fees from immigrants and find work for them in their field before they land in canada, so they are not overqualified in their minial jobs
after all when people land here as a skilled worker they shd use the same skills otherwise no benefit to them or canada and increase of cheap labor supply

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
jckdry said:
I think govt should charge some fees from immigrants and find work for them in their field before they land in canada, so they are not overqualified in their minial jobs
after all when people land here as a skilled worker they shd use the same skills otherwise no benefit to them or canada and increase of cheap labor supply
totally agree on this one with you.

It will be in everybody's favor and good judgement if they land a job prior to landing in the first place so at least they can just go on organizing their new life and all while also working and sustaining themselves instead of taking a plunge into the darkness especially now that the economy doesn't get anywhere closer to 'good" in most parts of the world.

Funny to watch this documentary today over here, once Brazilians wanted to live and work in Portugal, they look at Portugal as their mother of the nation etc, while nowadays, it is Brazil who is looked upon and as Portuguese governments is almost broke, many young skilled Portuguese are choosing for Brazil as a new terrain for work, study and to build a new life rather than USA, Canada or other European countries.

In that, you could see that Irish youth is quite jealouse of the fact that Portuguese can move to a place that is a real world power now generating much wealth, energy and money than US or Canada and like one of the Irish student said: wish she could speak Portuguese!

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
So you want to be served on a golden platter? not quite sure what your level of expectation is coming to a country that has around 8% unemployment (coming down from 10%) across the country. if you come as a PR it should be your own responsibility to find a job and to get settled. it's the same for canadians when they are unemployed. it's mostly up to them to find a new one. Why should immigrants get better treatment than locals? it isn't the government's responsibility nor task to find a job for an immigrant. there's already quite a lot of organizations and professional firms out there that provide this kind of service. The Canadian government already provides a lot of services around immigration and settlement from taxpayer's money who take most of the burden. Personally I think immigrants should take more responsibility by doing a proper preparation BEFORE landing. I find that most people concentrate too much on getting the PR visa rather than preparing for the time after landing.
I honestly believe that if you're well prepared and flexible you'll find a job within 6 months after landing. However, this requires a long-term planning and setting the right directions at least 12-24 months before landing...

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My two cents: Over-regulation is to blame. The minute the government burdens businesses with too much regulation, job-creation is stifled and people have trouble getting work. For example: Foreign trained doctors should have an easier time finding work in their field. I understand the need for safety, of course, but when so many Canadians have to go without a primary care physician, and people are waiting 15 hours and dying in emergency rooms, why are doctors driving taxis instead of saving lives? Answer: The government determines the number of doctors trained, the number of doctors hired, and the number of doctors they are going to pay. So instead of the need dictating where and how doctors work, the bureaucrats in Ottawa decide.

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
It was my suggestion, clubcanada - u r not looking at a long term benefit to canadians

- I was going with statistics wwhich says 40 % for immigrants - thsi increase compitition for minial jobs in canada for citizens n new comers both
- Unemployed canadian citizens get EI, welfare, have many contacts here and have adapted to their motherland, new comers start from scratch building contacts , friends and new life here
- How would u feel getting rejected for a job - just because u have experience in a different country which is say 10-15 years working as a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, petroleum engineer, lawyer, etc.
While many canadians lack quality serivces of a family physician, inflated salary of professions mentioned above as there s very high demand and less supply for these people here, overall burden on economy as many jobs are unfilled and ruural areas have less professionals
- Canada is recognising our skills and giving us PR but then we come here and do minial jobs to survive- while canada still has high demand for skilled jobs for which we came here -sothis viscious circle keeps on going on, overall loss to canada n citizens new or old
- Canadian govt charges alot of fess for immigration and wastes taxpayer or immigrant fees money on many so called organisations to help- immigrants - instead they should have direct job placement service while giving pr card to a new comer - in the areas where canadians are deprived of the skilled services
- This will save some money for govt too - if they make one govt organization only for direct job placement with pr card - so not having too many organizations mushrooming everywhere - and i mentioned govt charging extra fees for it from immigrants too

jckdry

Apr 28, 2009
agree with PommeDeRoute

A taxi driving doctor, say a surgeon with 10-20 years of experience in surgery in other country can perform a surgery way better than a newly graduated surgeon from a canadian college
- while canadian graduate doctor/surgeon doesnt have hard time finding a job and demanding his salary while imigrant drives cab for 2-5 years
this immigrant could have saved lives or atleast reduce the waiting times for surgery