+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be able to study at UofT with an expired PR card?

zxxha

Dec 19, 2017
I'm starting university in September 2018, and I haven't met my permanent residency obligations (was taken out of canada at 14 in 2014, when I first got my PR card, and then couldn't return since then because of my parents). I'm 18 now, and I plan to go back in august, and I understand that I'll have to stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving. The only problem is that my PR card will expire in 2019, I can't renew it till 2020.

I need OSAP (which I already applied for) for my studies in Toronto, and my question is, will I be able to receive that with an expired PR card? Along with that, are there any other problems that can arise during my education due to an expired PR card?

Another problem is that my parents tried to apply for US immigration for the entire family (including me) this year. we're unsure of that but will this be seen as a reason as to why I didn't come to canada? I was 18 when we applied for green cards, now im not sure if this can pose as a bad thing for me if I have to give H&C reasons. I didn't really have a say in that though, because my dad applied for the whole family thinking that our PR cards were as good as expired. And I wanted to live and study in Canada anyway. I'm really stressed about all this right now, any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
What dates did you live in Canada? From the looks of your post you might not meet the residency obligation which may be a problem when you try to enter Canada.

The expiry date of your PR card it not linked to your PR status - even though your PR card is in date you still need to meet the residency obligation.

zxxha

Dec 19, 2017
What dates did you live in Canada? From the looks of your post you might not meet the residency obligation which may be a problem when you try to enter Canada.

The expiry date of your PR card it not linked to your PR status - even though your PR card is in date you still need to meet the residency obligation.
I entered Canada in July 2014, got my PR card, stayed there for 3 weeks, and then had to leave because of my parents and I haven't been there since. I know that there might be problems with entering canada but I'm kind of banking on my H&C reasons to help me there.

Esedra

May 30, 2018
I had to show my PR card before starting the classes in order to get regular tuition rates.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Slightly confused. Did your family move to the US or have you been living in your home country al this time?

zxxha

Dec 19, 2017
Slightly confused. Did your family move to the US or have you been living in your home country al this time?
We’ve been living in our home country this entire time. I havent ever been to America but that might change if we do get our immigration visas approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Looks a bitt strange to say your family could not return to Canada for H&C reasons but applied for a US green card. Would likely be an issue for your family but less so for your individual application.

zxxha

Dec 19, 2017
Looks a bitt strange to say your family could not return to Canada for H&C reasons but applied for a US green card. Would likely be an issue for your family but less so for your individual application.
I knoww, it kind of is a mess because while my dad had to take care of his extremely sick mother who lives with us, he was also waiting to be eligible to apply for a green card through employment. I’ve decided to travel to canada alone for that reason so that my situation is looked at individually. But i was wondering if since i was also a greencard applicant will this will adversely affect me too? Moreover, do i have to tell them about the US immigration?

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hi @zxxha

I was in a very similar situation as you. There are plenty of steps you have to go through but what I can say is that you will be able to study as a PR.

About OSAP, if I am not wrong you may not be eligible. You need to have been in Ontario for at least twelve months before applying regardless of the situation of your parents' or your own financials.
For your H&C grounds, your case is only enough: you were taken against your will as a minor out of Canada. Now that you are 18 and an adult, you have decided that at your first given opportunity, you are moving back to Canada.

If you want more details, feel free to ask me. I had a very similar situation to that of yours and now I am here studying at UofT.

Good luck.

Reactions: jddd

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
I'm starting university in September 2018, and I haven't met my permanent residency obligations (was taken out of canada at 14 in 2014, when I first got my PR card, and then couldn't return since then because of my parents). I'm 18 now, and I plan to go back in august, and I understand that I'll have to stay in Canada for 2 years without leaving. The only problem is that my PR card will expire in 2019, I can't renew it till 2020.

I need OSAP (which I already applied for) for my studies in Toronto, and my question is, will I be able to receive that with an expired PR card? Along with that, are there any other problems that can arise during my education due to an expired PR card?

Another problem is that my parents tried to apply for US immigration for the entire family (including me) this year. we're unsure of that but will this be seen as a reason as to why I didn't come to canada? I was 18 when we applied for green cards, now im not sure if this can pose as a bad thing for me if I have to give H&C reasons. I didn't really have a say in that though, because my dad applied for the whole family thinking that our PR cards were as good as expired. And I wanted to live and study in Canada anyway. I'm really stressed about all this right now, any advice would be appreciated.
Come to Canada as early as possible. As your PR card is still active, you can enter Canada for sure and show your PR to your school to start everything. You have a good standing to renew your PR as you come back at the time when you just turn 18. You are very likely OK.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I knoww, it kind of is a mess because while my dad had to take care of his extremely sick mother who lives with us, he was also waiting to be eligible to apply for a green card through employment. I’ve decided to travel to canada alone for that reason so that my situation is looked at individually. But i was wondering if since i was also a greencard applicant will this will adversely affect me too? Moreover, do i have to tell them about the US immigration?

If your grandmother lived with your family and was sick then why apply for PR? You would have never been able to meet the RO because you wouldn't be able to bring your grandmother to Canada. Not criticizing your case specifically but keep seeing cases where there is no real intention to settle as a family this seems like a longterm plan for the children to claim H&C at 18. The original intention was to allow children that had spent a significant portion of their childhood in Canada return but the majority of cases we are seeing involve children that have spent a month or two in Canada and have no significant ties to Canada. It has become a well known loophole at thos point to secure domestic tuition and citizenship. My opinion.

Reactions: jddd

zxxha

Dec 19, 2017
Hi @zxxha

I was in a very similar situation as you. There are plenty of steps you have to go through but what I can say is that you will be able to study as a PR.

About OSAP, if I am not wrong you may not be eligible. You need to have been in Ontario for at least twelve months before applying regardless of the situation of your parents' or your own financials.
For your H&C grounds, your case is only enough: you were taken against your will as a minor out of Canada. Now that you are 18 and an adult, you have decided that at your first given opportunity, you are moving back to Canada.

If you want more details, feel free to ask me. I had a very similar situation to that of yours and now I am here studying at UofT.

Good luck.
i know some PRs to have recieved OSAP without having lived in Canada 12 months prior to applying. My brother was one of them. They werent in violation of RO like i am though.

Also, did you not get OSAP either then? And did you get your PR card renewed after landing or did you have to wait two years? Were you reported and had to present your H&C reasons?

Last edited:

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
i know some PRs to have recieved OSAP without having lived in Canada 12 months prior to applying. My brother was one of them. They werent in violation of RO like i am though.

Also, did you not get OSAP either then? And did you get your PR card renewed after landing or did you have to wait two years? Were you reported and had to present your H&C reasons?
I did not. How did your brother apply for it?

I am currently getting my PR card renewed. It has a good chance of being approved as I already have had a decision made on my file by an officer that I should be allowed to retain my PR status. I was not reported. I was called to secondary at the border where I had to explain my case.