+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will Ankylosing Spondylitis be an issue on my PR application?

Navtej Singh

Dec 1, 2016
Hello Guys,

I am on post graduate work permit in Ontario and will be applying for my PR soon. I have ankylosing spondylitis which was diagnosed last year.

The only medication I take is Vimovo which costs me $60/month max. I refill my prescription every 4-6 months as I barely take the medication. Its only been recommended to me if I have a flare up.

Was wondering if this would be a concern when I apply for my PR.

Thanks in advance.

rohit2085

Star Member
Apr 7, 2019
Hello Guys,

I am on post graduate work permit in Ontario and will be applying for my PR soon. I have ankylosing spondylitis which was diagnosed last year.

The only medication I take is Vimovo which costs me $60/month max. I refill my prescription every 4-6 months as I barely take the medication. Its only been recommended to me if I have a flare up.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Navtej, did you get your answer. my wife is in same situation. Kindly help, here.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hi Navtej, did you get your answer. my wife is in same situation. Kindly help, here.
It depends on case to case. Applications are rejected due to medical grounds if
1. The condition is communicable and can be threat to the Canadian society, like, TB.
2. Or, the condition would be burden on the Canadian health service.

Your wife might get a letter that may ask how she intends to mitigate the condition and what the costs would be, if the reply is justifiable, she would be deemede admissable.

rohit2085

Star Member
Apr 7, 2019
It depends on case to case. Applications are rejected due to medical grounds if
1. The condition is communicable and can be threat to the Canadian society, like, TB.
2. Or, the condition would be burden on the Canadian health service.

Your wife might get a letter that may ask how she intends to mitigate the condition and what the costs would be, if the reply is justifiable, she would be deemede admissable.
Does she need to mention about this condition during medical? Can't we conceal it.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Does she need to mention about this condition during medical? Can't we conceal it.
Concealing information is misrepresentation and misrepresentation carries a 5 year ban for entry into Canada.

If she takes medications for the condition, that will anyway present in the blood report.

Navtej Singh

Dec 1, 2016
Hello Rohit,

You should disclose any medications/diagnoses there are.

How much is it costing your wife in terms of medication costs? The new threshold suggests if the cost is under $19,812 per year, it should be okay.

I am also looking for answers.

Thanks

John Yam

Nov 8, 2022
Hello Guys,

Thanks in advance.
Hi there,

Hope you are doing well. Just to follow up, were you able to pass the medical exam and acquire a PR?

I am a student who wish to apply for a study permit in Canada will declaring AS affect my chance of getting a VISA?