+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife's COPR received. Have not landed yet. Want to renew her passport before landing, is it ok?

mtmadill

Apr 26, 2015
Seoul, South Korea
Category........
FAM
As the title states, wife received her COPR. We land in June. Super excited. But have a question.

Her passport expires in two years. We want to renew it where we live now (her home country) as it is much cheaper, easier, faster and more convenient.

She is going to add my last name so technically the name will be the same, but with my last name at the end (In her home country, they add (wife of xxx) after her name as name changes are not allowed). So it would be Jane Doe (Wife of xxx). Obviously the passsport number will change so that is a issue.

Question: What is the process to change her passport info with Canada immigration pre-landing? Is it going to be a huge hassle?

wasiqjaved

Sep 15, 2007
13.18 Valid visas in expired passports
Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered valid.

Source : Page 73/129 of ENF 4 Port of entry examinations (updated : 1st Feb 2019)

mtmadill

Apr 26, 2015
Seoul, South Korea
Category........
FAM
Thanks for the reply wasiqjaved.

So I'm not a hundred percent sure that what you said in your reply is related to our situation.

She will become a permanent resident where she will get a permanent resident card.

What we are looking to do is renew her passport BEFORE landing and BEFORE meeting with an immigration officer for the first time in Vancouver. Her current passport has 2 years left. We land in June for the first time with her COPR.

Last edited:

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Fine. Just make sure when she lands that she has both her old (cancelled) passport and her new one and presents them both to CBSA

aby1098

Sep 25, 2011
Category........
FAM
Thanks for the reply wasiqjaved.

So I'm not a hundred percent sure that what you said in your reply is related to our situation.

She will become a permanent resident where she will get a permanent resident card.

What we are looking to do is renew her passport BEFORE landing and BEFORE meeting with an immigration officer for the first time in Vancouver. Her current passport has 2 years left. We land in June for the first time with her COPR.
I recommend to renew the passport from inside Canada after receiving the PR card. 2 years validity is not too short.

Reactions: yoge