+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife's application rejected. Urgent help needed PLS!

Fworker

Feb 14, 2013
Hi friends,

I applied for an open work permit for my wife and the application got rejected and following were the reasons provided:

1. Not convinced that my wife will return to home country
2. Not satisfied with the relation (certified copy of the marriage certificate was provided)

I am presently on a post graduation work permit, work full-time and have sufficient financial resources. All my financial and immigration proofs were submitted in the work permit application

At this point I just want my wife to join me in Canada.

Could you please tell what to do now? Should I apply for a Visitor visa?

Thanks.

gogagig

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Which country are you from?
How long have you been married?
Is your wife currently employed/student at home?

If you've been married for at least a couple of years, then I would find pictures of the wedding and reapply. Also, hopefully your wife is currently a student or is employed, even if your plan is for her to quit her school/job. Unemployed persons always find it hard to get approved.

Fworker

Feb 14, 2013
Thanks.

I am from India.
She's currently a student.
We have been married for 3 months. But, have the pictures.

Should i apply for a work permit or a visitor visa?

gogagig

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
I don't think you are any more likely to get a visitor visa than a spousal work permit. Because you have only been married for 3 months, this is likely a big factor that works against you.
If you insist on reapplying soon, then yes, I would try providing wedding pictures, and other proofs showing that the marriage is legitimate.

The other issue is that you must try and establish strong ties to India for your wife. Most people show property ownership records, bank balances, financial investments etc as reasons why she would like to return to India.

Hopefully she has some foreign travel experience from the past. This should also confirm that in the past she has returned to India after visiting abroad.

These spousal work permit applications after being married only a few months are always difficult. Good luck.

Fworker

Feb 14, 2013
It’s strange that a visa officer might find marriage pictures more convincing than a marriage certificate, which is a legal document.

crama123

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
Hong Kong PCC
AOR Received.
31-May-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
09-Feb-2014
Med's Done....
05-Mar-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
29-May-2014
LANDED..........
20-July-2014
Did your wife traveled outside in the past ? If yes did she always maintained a legal status through out her stay ?

Not sure how you can prove the relationship. Usually we always submit marriage certificate as a proof. May be when you try to submit next time you can include more documents like
Joint Account
Lease Agreement
or may be a letter from your employer ?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am sorry about the visa rejection. Ties to home country is the issue that most people have difficulty proving especially when they are just starting out. It will be a challenge proving desire to return to study with the previous work permit request. While many people are successful on subsequent applications, there is no point in applying until you are able to address the reasons for the refusal. Get your GCMS. You can apply for them in Canada and you will find threads on forum with instructions. It costs $5 and will take about a month to be emailed to you. These notes give you a clearer idea of reasons for rejection and put you in a stronger position to reapply. All the best.

Fworker

Feb 14, 2013
Any other suggestions folks.

How can my wife prove that she has strong ties with her home country when I, her husband, lives in Canada? Even a 10th grader won’t believe her if she tries to explain that she wants to leave Canada because she has strong ties with her home country.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Fworker said:
Hi Pippin. Thanks.

Could you elaborate how would a GCMS help?
You'll be able to see notes the VO made on her file. It might help you understand why she was rejected better.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Fworker said:
Any other suggestions folks.

How can my wife prove that she has strong ties with her home country when I, her husband, lives in Canada? Even a 10th grader won't believe her if she tries to explain that she wants to leave Canada because she has strong ties with her home country.
That's going to be extremely difficult and why it's so hard for her to get a visitor's visa.

Fworker

Feb 14, 2013
Amikety,

Thanks. Are you suggesting getting a work permit will be extremely difficult and instead she should apply for a visitor visa?

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
The issue will be the same whether it is a work permit or a visit visa. They are both temporary and you still have to show strong ties to home country. It is totally frustrating and stupid from the travellers perspective. Of course a couple want to be together. Or a family. You have always been law abiding citizens in your home country and would not abuse the visa if granted. Most of the people here on forum fall into that category. Since I became aware of the issues surrounding immigration I have learned a lot. I had no idea what a problem it would be even WITH evidence of travel history, property, full time high skilled employment and finances. Do a search on the main forum page for things like visa refusal and read everything you can about other's experiences so you learn where the pitfalls are. Definitely will find GCMS more useful than the plain refusal letter.