+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife to sponsor me in retirement

cliffjona

Feb 11, 2017
App. Filed.......
Sent 19/Feb 2018, Received 23/Feb 2018
My wife is a Canadian Citizen, born in Halifax, NS. we have been married 12 years (married in Canada) I am due to retire in 2 years time, and we want to buy a house and retire to Ontario, what is the best way to go about this, ie; should we apply from the UK or when we are in Canada, my wife intends to do part time work and if allowed for me to do part time work also.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
cliffjona said:
My wife is a Canadian Citizen, born in Halifax, NS. we have been married 12 years (married in Canada) I am due to retire in 2 years time, and we want to buy a house and retire to Ontario, what is the best way to go about this, ie; should we apply from the UK or when we are in Canada, my wife intends to do part time work and if allowed for me to do part time work also.
Very simple - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/
From the UK would make most sense.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you are 2 years away from potentially moving, it's too early to start the application. Processing times for British apps average between 4-8 months, depending on which office it is sent to. If you apply early and the sponsor can't show proof of intent to return to Canada when the app is done, IRCC will probably refuse the app and tell you to apply later.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I suggest you apply outland about 6 months before you intend to retire, though you can look at the forums closer to that date to see how the processing times for an application from the UK are going. Your wife will have to show proof of intent to return to Canada, so she could show things like the house you have bought or will still be looking for, your plans to retire, her plans to quit her job and look for a new one in Canada, etc.
You can come to Canada as a visitor before the PR application is finished processing, so if it is not done by the time you retire, you can just come to Canada like any other visitor from the UK.
Once you are a PR, you can work at any job a Canadian citizen could (except for a few that require high security clearances).

cliffjona

Feb 11, 2017
App. Filed.......
Sent 19/Feb 2018, Received 23/Feb 2018
Thank you all very much for the replies, Cliff