+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wife received Confirmation of PR (COPR)

danko8

Nov 16, 2012
Hi fandv, thanks!
For our case, after we submitted all the forms in one package to CPC-M (March 2012), I got a letter June/July that my sponsorship was approved and the rest of the package was sent to the Visa office for my wife (Japan). We then got a letter in August from the Visa office handling Japan (Manila office) that they are reviewing the application. Mind you this office was quite slow since their letters dated vs. when we got the letter in the mail was about 3-4 weeks delayed. WE never got any request to mail the passports, and the letter says that they don't stamp or add any visa's to the passports anymore.

We received our CoPR by courier on Friday, which since she is already in Toronto, we drove to Lewiston Bridge crossing to confirm her landing. It only took 5 minutes (minus the slight 20 minute interaction with US Border).

fandv said:
First of all, big congrats to you danko8, and also to your wife! Glad to hear about the good news... :)

To everyone else: could you please explain how this COPR thing works...? (I'm just curious about it and wonder whether my wife and I will get it too?)

I'm a Canadian citizen, and my wife is Indonesian. We're doing the sponsorship outland, through Singapore.

So far I've always thought that the process works as follows:

- We submit the whole application to CPC-M
- CPC-M will then assess my eligibility as a sponsor.
- Assuming I'm approved to sponsor, CPC-M will then forward the immigration application to the visa office in Singapore
- The Singapore office will then assess my wife's applications, along with the relationship proofs
- Once approved, the Singapore office will then request my wife to send her passport, and then they will stick the PR visa on her passport, and then they will send the passport back to her, and then my wife will have to land in Canada within X months...

So when does the COPR play its role? Does it come together with the passport when the Singapore visa office returns it with the PR visa?

danko8

Nov 16, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Just a little warning... the border guy at US side said today was super quick since its a weekday. He said if we were there on a nice weekend afternoon we may have had to wait several hours to get my fiancees temp US visitor visa!

I've heard of some people walking across the Rainbow bridge, and then going directly from US to Canada office after they tell the US side they are just looking to do a flagpole landing back in Canada and don't really want to enter the US. US can simply deny them entry, and send them right to the Canada side. Though dunno also if you have to end up waiting in line to do this.
Oh and also if your wife is 6 months pregnant, i dunno if all that walking would be a good idea!

I hope she has some temp health insurance now. Remember it takes 3 months after landing for OHIP to kick in. So that will be Feb 17 or so for her. If you guys have the baby with no insurance and before the OHIP kicks in... it could cost you a bundle!
Hey Rob_TO, I think you and I both have very similar situations, so I wanted to tell you what we did...we appealed our OHIP date of Feb.17, and asked for a review. We submitted to OHIP review committee address on the back of the Service Ontario form. They replied that, although we applied for Sponsorship outside of Canada while my wife was IN Canada, they will honor the date that she was eligible...August 29, 2012, which is the date the CIC started to process her application. Therefore they will kick-in the OHIP 3 months after that, or Nov. 29, 2012. This is such a relief, since we originally asked CIC for an AIP letter, but were rejected due to the fact that the CIC doesn't provide AIP letters for applicants for Family Sponsor- Outside of Canada.

Anyhow, hope you and your wife can do the same...OHIP is so much more convenient than paying cash and submitting claims...