+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why my profession in WP is different than my job designation?

jgd

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Dear Friends

I was recently transferred by my company in ICT category from Abu Dhabi to Toronto. The job offer contract that I have signed states "Base Manager' and also the letter that was given by our USA HR to Canadian Embassy for WP mentioned "Base Manager" and roles detailed as engineering manager.

On arriving at Toronto the WP that was issued to me stated the profession as "Aerospace Engineer". I want to apply for PR after completing one year work experience in Canada and "Engineering Manager" is a profession on demand list.

My question to experienced members here is that for PR process will the job offer contract be considered or the designation mentioned in WP?

Thanks

ame

CEC_NLD

Sep 13, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-07-2013
Doc's Request.
28-02-2014 Schedue A form
AOR Received.
16-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
18-03-2014
Med's Done....
Upfront 07-03-2013
Your roles and responsibilities should match with the NOC code you apply,title doesn't need to be matched

cecstatchk

Jan 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jgd said:
Dear Friends

I was recently transferred by my company in ICT category from Abu Dhabi to Toronto. The job offer contract that I have signed states "Base Manager' and also the letter that was given by our USA HR to Canadian Embassy for WP mentioned "Base Manager" and roles detailed as engineering manager.

On arriving at Toronto the WP that was issued to me stated the profession as "Aerospace Engineer". I want to apply for PR after completing one year work experience in Canada and "Engineering Manager" is a profession on demand list.

My question to experienced members here is that for PR process will the job offer contract be considered or the designation mentioned in WP?

Thanks

ame
Do yo work with aircrafts ? Because "Aerospace Engineer" and "Engineer Manager" are two different things. Just now looked up on NOC and they have different NOC codes. Did you ask IO at POE why its "Aerospace Engineer" ?

As you know CEC is experience category and we need to submit a copy of our WP along with application. So they will be a comparison between the NOC you are applying for CEC and your WP to make sure you are working under the right category.

In short my understanding is both should be in sync. Not word to word. Your NOC should fall under WP Job category.

jgd

Star Member
Oct 8, 2012
Dears

Thank you for your responses.

I am an aircraft engineer with 16 years, last few in management roles in India and UAE.
The job offer and the letter sent to Canadian embassy by our HR stated job roles like "hiring, training, supervising engineers" ..which I found similar to "Engineering manager" . So I was hoping getting a PR would be quick after completing one year the job.

Now that the WP states "Aerospace Engineer' I am confused how this impacts our PR situation.

Thanks

jgd

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jgd said:

Old information has it that you can contact Immigration where you landed (Toronto-Pearson?) and ask them to correct it.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/wrong-occupation-on-work-permit-what-to-do-t63725.0.html

Given your intent to apply under the engineering manager occupation, it might be worth the effort.
http://www.torontopearson.com/Contact_Us_B2B.aspx#

sophie_fr

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-04-2013
AOR Received.
19-06-2013
Med's Request
19-02-2014
Med's Done....
21-02-2014
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2014
LANDED..........
06-04-2014
I was actually in a similar situation last year. I was a Sales & Marketing coordinator for a travel agency and my work permit said "executive assistant". I didn't notice the mistake until I left the country to go on vacation a couple months after my WP was issued. When I came back from vacation and landed at Pearson, I asked the immigration officer if they could change the occupation listed on my WP and he sent me to the immigration office. The immigration officer refused to change it, saying that "executive assistant" was a generic term and that it wouldn't affect my PR application. And he was right, it didn't. I'm now manager and my work permit says "tourism related services".

Conclusion:
1. occupation listed on WP should be related to your actual job, but it doesn't have to be your exact title
2. when you apply for PR, your employment letter is what matters the most

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, you should be fine!