+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Why move to Canada when I am a US Citizen?

gst8486

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2011
newtone said:
Ummm nice info for people who cannot think outside the box. These stats are offset by the fact that USA has a population of over 333 million and Canada has just over 33 million. So this is not a good comparison.
I see what you are saying and i agree with you US's population is much more than Canada, that's why there is a per capita based information in those stats :D !

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gst8486 said:
I see what you are saying and i agree with you US's population is much more than Canada, that's why there is a per capita based information in those stats :D !
It still dosent address the population issue

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
June 02, 2015 (MR, RPRF, & PCC for Spouse)
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent w/Application: L-8.5, R-9.0, W-9.0, S-8.5
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
June 19, 2015; TLU (Medical results have been received): July 20, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Required as I was a US Citizen
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Issued Jan 07, 2016 - Arrived in Mail Jan 21, 2016
LANDED..........
June 19, 2016 - FINALLY - HURRAY!!!!
newtone said:
It still dosent address the population issue
If you talk about numbers alone then population would matter. What is being said is that the population difference doesn't matter when you talk in percentages. Do you understand what per capita means?

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
newtone said:
Thats cool however
Sorry I have been away from the forum as I have been on business travel.

newtone said:
Can you give a reference of 1 Canadian city where the price of a new car is cheaper than USA?
Ok. I'm not going to do tons of research so I'll just post the first one I found for a base model Chevrolet Impala at the first Chevy Dealer I found by Google in the Toronto area and the New York City areas.

Ok so in New York City the dealership in NYC only had 2015s so consider that they are going to be slightly less than a 2016...even still the search came back with $27,735 USD.

http://www.chevroletmajor.com/VehicleDetails/new-2015-Chevrolet-Impala-LS-Long_Island_City-NY/2370696003

The first dealership I came up with in Toronto gave a result of prices that start as low as $28,645 (CAD)

http://www.courtesychevrolet.ca/buildandprice/select-trim/2016-chevrolet-impala-539-intermediate-%20-%20-automatic-front_wheel_drive-%20-%20.html#step1Menu

So, great...it seems the Canadian version of the newer model (2016 instead of 2015) is higher priced. Oh but wait...that's Canadian dollars so in reality that is more like $23,646 (check xe.com if you doubt).

So without even really trying I found it...and for a year newer. I'm sure there are times where depending on the dealer you will find a higher or lower price. In reality it is probably averages out to about the same.

newtone said:
Can you give me 1 reference where its cheaper to fly between two Canadian cities compared to flying between 2 cities in USA?
Ok. Let's see. This one I am not going to take the time to research...I'm sure there are times where there may exist a cheaper flight, but I have heard that flights in general are more expensive in Canada. This however is due to supply and demand. For one, there are a lot more airlines to choose from in the US. Secondly, there are a lot more people flying daily. Because of this the costs have been driven lower. While they may be lower, I don't think the Canadian flights are astronomically higher. Once again once you convert the cost to the same currency it also will likely be closer in price...though I will say probably cheaper in the US.

newtone said:
Can you give me reference of 1 company in Canada where cell phone bill is cheaper than that of a US company?
I have not lived in Canada or gotten a cell phone there so I really can't speak to this. I can tell you that my bill (for 4 phones) is about $300/month. (actually a bit over 300 but let's just say 300) That is for an unlimited minutes, txt, and 10 shared GB of data/month. So that converts to $363.58/month in Canadian Dollars...you tell me...how much are the plans there?

newtone said:
Can you give me description of 1 job in Canada where salary is more compared to same job in USA?
This I can easily do because I have already researched it. My wife is a secondary teacher. Her pay would be nearly double in Canada what it is here in the US. (of course in Canadian dollars) Because of education cuts in the US she hasn't even been able to get a job lately. She has been working as a substitute, or what I believe they call in Canada a "supply teacher." Here in Texas she gets paid more than most because she is a certified teacher. She gets $100/day. In Canada, because they focus more on education all supply teachers must be certified. However, they get paid $200/day. Now again, I have to be fair and realize that that is in Canadian dollars. So that is actually like $165 US dollars/day. Sill more than the $100/day she gets now.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Ok. Here's the thing...I know that ultimately expenses may be higher in Canada probably due to better minimum wages and because of higher taxes. But guess what...those are things that both help the people (including you) and the economy. If you want to not have to pay into a single payer universal healthcare system then go to the US. They are the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't guarantee healthcare to its citizens.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
newtone said:
I dont see the headquarters of United nations in Canada. Neither IMF nor World Bank, and these are the places that need the most safety.
Canada historically has participated more in peacekeeping for the UN than any other country. Lately that has dwindled due to the particular leadership in control. In any case, the IMF and World Bank are tied tot he US Dollar...that has more to do with politics and oil than anything else. The US has the most powerful military in the world. That doesn't equal safety. Instead it lends itself to the nihilism persistent in American culture and the prevalence of a might is right philosophy. As you know the US flexes its military muscle to get involved in the middle east.

newtone said:
Its not safe for black people and it never was.
You are kidding, right? You do realize that when slavery was going on down here in what was to eventually become the US, Britain outlawed the slave trade in 1772. There were blacks who joined British colonial forces during the American Revolutionary War. Blacks fled the US to fight for the British against the rebel US colonists and became what are known as Black Loyalists (loyal to the crown). Things were not perfect either but the developed much faster in Canada than in the US. During the war of 1812, there were Canadian Black soldiers that fought against invading Americans. 24 March 1837, Blacks were given the right to vote in Canada, long before it happened in the US. Although the US ratified the 15th amendment to the constitution in 1870 supposedly giving Blacks the right to vote, it took almost 100 more years for it to actually be fully realized. During the civil war the underground railroad had tens of thousands of fugitive black slaves escape and head to Canada. We'll end the history lesson but just leave it at the general understanding that historically Canada has been much more tolerant and favorable to blacks.

newtone said:
Canadians cops are notorious for racial profiling
I'm sure it does happen. I doubt it is anywhere near as bad as in the US though.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are correct I really don't understand the concept of per capita

Here is a link that explains it and according to that it clearly says you need to determine the size of the population you are measuring

http://www.ehow.com/how_7505706_calculate-per-capita.html

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kwyatt75 said:
Canada historically has participated more in peacekeeping for the UN than any other country. Lately that has dwindled due to the particular leadership in control. In any case, the IMF and World Bank are tied tot he US Dollar...that has more to do with politics and oil than anything else. The US has the most powerful military in the world. That doesn't equal safety. Instead it lends itself to the nihilism persistent in American culture and the prevalence of a might is right philosophy. As you know the US flexes its military muscle to get involved in the middle east.
Yes US does flex its muscle in the Middle East because the ME has always been a hotbed of conflict since the dawn of time. If you are religious, you may know even God has sent the most number of messengers in that part of the world but they still couldn't change those little rascals. The conflict continues, stay tuned for more. I think US is doing a great job down there otherwise the region will go to the dogs considering they follow the law of barbarism. I feel bad for Israel yet immense respect for their people, they are like a pound of flesh in a cage with a dozen lions

kwyatt75 said:
You are kidding, right? You do realize that when slavery was going on down here in what was to eventually become the US, Britain outlawed the slave trade in 1772. There were blacks who joined British colonial forces during the American Revolutionary War. Blacks fled the US to fight for the British against the rebel US colonists and became what are known as Black Loyalists (loyal to the crown). Things were not perfect either but the developed much faster in Canada than in the US. During the war of 1812, there were Canadian Black soldiers that fought against invading Americans. 24 March 1837, Blacks were given the right to vote in Canada, long before it happened in the US. Although the US ratified the 15th amendment to the constitution in 1870 supposedly giving Blacks the right to vote, it took almost 100 more years for it to actually be fully realized. During the civil war the underground railroad had tens of thousands of fugitive black slaves escape and head to Canada. We'll end the history lesson but just leave it at the general understanding that historically Canada has been much more tolerant and favorable to blacks.
I am not kidding I am really serious. Yes I know a little about black history and their invaluable contribution to Canada and US. Yes they fought in the war of 1812 and they were strategically placed in the front lines, in front of white solders so that they could take a bullet first. If you compare that to the recent immigration process you can see the similarity. Canada is importing thousands of immigrants only to have most of them work in less desirable jobs in the front lines, serving hamburgers at McDonalds and coffee at Timmis. Irony is these are educated and highly skilled people and because they couldnt find jobs in their fields, the very fields they got points for in the first place to legally come to this country, now they have to take up least desirable jobs to feed their family.

kwyatt75 said:
I'm sure it does happen. I doubt it is anywhere near as bad as in the US though.
It is as bad as US the only difference is when the police in involved in an altercation with the public the SIU (Special Investigation Unit) is brought in to investigate. They are supposedly neutral agency who investigates these issues. Bottom line is it puts the police force on the spotlight, the media has a field day and the cop involved depending on the seriousness of the crime, may either be restricted to a desk job, suspension or discharge from the force. So the cops have a fear or being involved with the SIU therefore they take things a little lightly with the public. But sentiments and attitudes are the same across the border.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
So what is the conclusion? Canada or USA? Which is better?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ttrajan said:
If you are a go getter and want to be somebody in life by working really hard and expand your global connections USA is the place.

If you want to be a nobody, have a relaxed life, bum around all day long, act and think locally then Canada is the place to be.

Bottom line is, depends where you see yourself in the future

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kwyatt75 said:
Ok. Here's the thing...I know that ultimately expenses may be higher in Canada probably due to better minimum wages and because of higher taxes. But guess what...those are things that both help the people (including you) and the economy. If you want to not have to pay into a single payer universal healthcare system then go to the US. They are the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't guarantee healthcare to its citizens.
Better minimum wage is offset by higher cost of living, try buying a house in Toronto, Calgary or Vancouver. Unless you want snow rabbits as your neighbors and the barren wilderness at -50 as your backyard most livible cities (wrt job and facilities) are bordering USA, but the catch is its extremely expensive. Even rent is going through the roof. US has a universal healthcare for poor people I have family who use it and its working for them. Its a complete myth that US dosen't have universal healthcare. For people who are not poor and working the medical insurance from work covers their healthcare. People who are rich and dont work, well I think we all know the answer to that :)

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ttrajan said:
I guess it is a matter of opinion. it depends on who you ask. I say Canada...and that's because I have lived my whole life (39 years) in the US.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
newtone said:
If you are a go getter and want to be somebody in life by working really hard and expand your global connections USA is the place.
That can happen in the USA or in Canada. In fact they say that the "American dream" is more possible in Canada now than in the US. In other words there is a greater chance for upward mobility in Canada. I think you can make it in either place as long as you work hard. there are just more safety nets for you and there might be a better work-life balance and quality of life in Canada.

newtone said:
If you want to be a nobody, have a relaxed life, bum around all day long, act and think locally then Canada is the place to be.
Well, that's pretty harsh. Why is it that you're immigrating to Canada?

newtone said:
Bottom line is, depends where you see yourself in the future
I agree with you on that point. It is an individual choice. Let me touch on the issue of global connections vs "thinking locally." Canadians are way more global than American. Americans are very egocentric as a society and only care about themselves thinking always that they are the best at everything. Canadians on the other hand are more globally aware in general.. Just think about it... If you're from a foreign country how much do you know about America? You probably know quite a bit. on the other hand ask an American what they know about your country and I guarantee you it'll be practically nothing. Obviously there are exceptions but most Americans just don't give a crap about anyone else.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kwyatt75 said:
That can happen in the USA or in Canada. In fact they say that the "American dream" is more possible in Canada now than in the US. In other words there is a greater chance for upward mobility in Canada. I think you can make it in either place as long as you work hard. there are just more safety nets for you and there might be a better work-life balance and quality of life in Canada.
Not really, the "American Dream" is still American, it might become Canadian temporarily only because America is not doing too well financially but generally it is still the American dream and it will continue that way for many years to come.

kwyatt75 said:
Well, that's pretty harsh. Why is it that you're immigrating to Canada?

I am Canadian spent most of my life in Canada, sick and tired of taxes, ridiculous fees, stupid laws, and monotonous life. It would be nice to have my hard earned money spent for my family rather than giving it away as charity to the government and then people abusing the stupid laws to take money from government as social welfare. Now planning to settle in USA with family, just waiting for my family to get the Canadian passport. Its been two years already since they applied for citizenship. Go figure! I am the Canadian version of you ;)

kwyatt75 said:
I agree with you on that point. It is an individual choice. Let me touch on the issue of global connections vs "thinking locally." Canadians are way more global than American. Americans are very egocentric as a society and only care about themselves thinking always that they are the best at everything. Canadians on the other hand are more globally aware in general.. Just think about it... If you're from a foreign country how much do you know about America? You probably know quite a bit. on the other hand ask an American what they know about your country and I guarantee you it'll be practically nothing. Obviously there are exceptions but most Americans just don't give a crap about anyone else.
When I say Global, I meant to say look at the multinational companies USA has. Apple, IBM, Boeing, Nike, Levis, Home Depot, Walmart, McDonalds General Electric to name a few. Jobs exist because these industries exist. How many does Canada have? Where are the jobs? Where are the industries? Canada is piggy backing on US companies, a few American companies have branches in Canada so that the poor Canadians can light a candle in their home. Perfect example, when the American economy rebounds, interest rates in Canada will rise, foreign investors will withdraw money parked safely here, and Canadians home owners majority of whom, brought houses recently and are living beyond their means will declare bankruptcy then we will have something called "Canadian reality". This will be epic. Real estate in Canada is already atleast 30% overvalued. Its a universal fact whenever USA farts Canada takes a deep breath and faints until something catastrophic happens in USA (9/11 or economic downturn) and then Canada wakes up and looking like a superstar in the world arena. Companies that are Canadian largely, Insurance, banking and telecommunications are milking the hard working tax paying Canadians with outrageous service fees. Ideally since they are Canadians it should be cheaper cause these services are local businesses.

kwyatt75

Apr 6, 2015
TEXAS
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 24, 2014
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER - March 22, 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
June 02, 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
newtone said:
I am Canadian spent most of my life in Canada, sick and tired of taxes, ridiculous fees, stupid laws, and monotonous life. It would be nice to have my hard earned money spent for my family rather than giving it away as charity to the government and then people abusing the stupid laws to take money from government as social welfare. Now planning to settle in USA with family, just waiting for my family to get the Canadian passport. Its been two years already since they applied for citizenship. Go figure! I am the Canadian version of you ;)
Well that explains it. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. What brings you to this forum?

We are sick of our taxes here too. What's worse though is that they don't come back to us in any benefits like healthcare or infrastructure improvements. Instead they are pumped into endless wars that do nothing but make the rich richer and the poor dead. Our education system is horrid and then our politicians cut education funding to make it worse. We have a ton of stupid laws here too. Here they work us until we die. You are just an expendable person...there is no work-life balance here. They keep raising the age for retirement and stealing money out of social security (pension) that they will never put back...then they want to cut funding to it saying there is no money but turn around and spend trillions on wars. You may think that you are giving away money as charity to the government but you actually benefit from that tax money. Here they just take the money and you get nothing. Then if you are lucky enough to have a job that actually provides for private health insurance that money taken out of your paychecks monthly for the health insurance premium doesn't even cover it. Then you have a deductible to meet, and coinsurance that you have to pay each time you use it. You can have insurance and still get a bill for thousands of dollars. You can literally get sick and lose your job because you can't work...end up losing your health insurance and then what...you get to die because our system wants to make rich people richer instead of helping its people. You won't really have more money in the end. Just hope you don't get sick. That said...I hope things work out for you and you do find a happier life that you are looking for here in the US...but having been here my whole life I'm very skeptical of that possibility.