+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who to believe?

mmmm

Mar 10, 2008
Hi, I'm kind of confused. If someone can help me, please tell me.

So I called about my situation which is posted 2 days ago here. I called CIC 1-800 number and first person who answered answered my question and said it is totally fine etc.

But after a while, I figured I make one more call to make sure and someone else answered and said they cannot answer that Immigration question that is applied to Buffalo office. CIC 1-800 number is strictly for people who applied in Canada.

Have you got different answers from different agents or advicers?
Who to believe??

thank you for your time,

mmmm

Mar 10, 2008
Hello, I would really appreciate if someone could answer my question.

I applied for Skilled Worker Visa for Federal. I thought I could score 16 points on first language and 1 point for second language to obtain 67 points to get qualified but Currently, I have only 64 points after taking language exams. I have been living with my girlfriend here in Montreal over two years(I have all the proof like lease and joint account etc.), so I decided to claim for Common-Law(5 points) which would make 69 points.

However, we will be living in Montreal since my girlfriend(common-law partner) is attending school here for another 2 years and she gotta her Quebec residency to decrease her tuition.

So what I´m wondering is that do I have to apply through Quebec application instead of Federal to claim for Common-Law points since we live in Quebec right now and my common-law partner has 2 years of school left?

I thought about writing a letter to Immigration indicating that I am leaving the province once I get skilled worker since I don't think I'm allowed to stay in Quebec because of my FEDERAL application. But my common-law partner already indicated to Quebec government that she intends to stay in Quebec for a while to get her residency about one year ago.(so she cannot really write a letter saying she would come with me when I leave the province) So this could lead the immigration officer to misunderstand that our relationship is not real even though we are serious. so it is really tricky....

what would you suggest?

sorry for long post and thank you so much for reading this!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
If your girlfriend isn't planning on moving with you, you can't claim points for her. So a federal application is not going to work because it seems you'd have too few points.

Seems like your only choice is to apply to Quebec.