+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who is going where?

A

adnan_hsn

If you are successful with your immigration application, have you thought about your preferred city/province to live in Canada? Obviously, everyone has their own criterea of choosing a location which may depend on the employment opportunities, family, scenery and weather etc, .........but I wonder whats YOURS?

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
My application is in very early stages, may take another 8-12 months. I have given Toronto as my destination. Can I change the destination after reaching Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are applying as an FSW, the location you write on your application is not important and you do not have to land in that city if you change your mind as long as you stay out of Quebec. If you really want to go to Quebec, you can land somewhere else and go there later.

A

adnan_hsn

domingo said:
My application is in very early stages, may take another 8-12 months. I have given Toronto as my destination. Can I change the destination after reaching Canada.
Where would you like to live once you get to Canada?

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary are my choices in the order of most desirable to least desirable.

A

adnan_hsn

domingo said:
Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary are my choices in the order of most desirable to least desirable.
oh you got to be very rich to keep Toronto and Vancouver on top of your list.

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
Hmm, I am not that rich. I did my calculations and will be needing around Can$6K per month to support myself and my family (spouse + 4 kids). All my kids goes to school Grade 1-5. Do you think its enough? Please let me have your views.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you should be ok with 6 grand a month. A lot of people have to survive on less. Immigration says in the LICO table that a family of 6 should be able to make it on $51,498 a year but maybe not in luxury :) Housing is your biggest cost and you can look for places to rent on the web and compare.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The LICO table is what immigration uses as a guideline for income if you want to sponsor more relatives, you can see it at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp

New2Canada

Mar 6, 2009
Vancouver, its pretty, doing well economically, climate and safe. I don't think Vancouver is a terrorist target and lower crime than places like Toronto. Couple of years ago, they caught some terrorists in Toronto, I presume Vancouver is just much safer.

A

adnan_hsn

domingo said:
Hmm, I am not that rich. I did my calculations and will be needing around Can$6K per month to support myself and my family (spouse + 4 kids). All my kids goes to school Grade 1-5. Do you think its enough? Please let me have your views.
Well I think you should do well if you are on 6K - about CAD100,000 gross? (if you are confident that you'll be able to get that kind of income)

Jada

Apr 26, 2009
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 31st 2012
Seniors please advise, so how much would one need to sustain a family of 2 monthly if one lives in Edmonton? Is Calgary a cheaper place to leave in than Edmonton? And what about Saskatchewan. I initially wanted to go there but iread on google that the place has a lot of gang and rape crimes.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think housing in Calgary is slightly more expensive than in Edmonton still but you can find apartments around the same price range if you look. Food should be the same. AB is among the cheaper provinces to live because there is no provincial sales tax and no monthly health care fee.

Jada

Apr 26, 2009
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 31st 2012
Thank you Leon. What do you mean by monthly healthcare fee? You said nothing about Sasketchewan.