+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Who is going where?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I never lived in SK so I can not say anything about them. Some provinces, for example BC have monthly health care fees, see http://web.archive.org/web/20070206032130/www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/premium.html Alberta used to have them but did away with them on January 1st this year. I don't think SK has them, don't know for sure. As for provincial sales tax, in SK, it's 5%, see http://www.taxtips.ca/pst/pstrates.htm

domingo

Jan 20, 2009
adnan_hsn said:
Well I think you should do well if you are on 6K - about CAD100,000 gross? (if you are confident that you'll be able to get that kind of income)
What I meant to say that I have a saving of US$100K, which I can use during initial one or two years in case I am unable to find a decent job.

colsy

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
I put down Calgary on my application.

Vancouver would be great, but realistically from a financial point of view it would leave no margin for error if things didnt go to plan from the outset.

A

adnan_hsn

yeah, I have also noticed a change in trend. Immigrants are nowchoosing to go to a lot more other places than the traditional Onatrio province which is good.

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know of some immigrants to Canada who have come from south Korea, and they arrived with about a million or so and were broke after 3 or 4 years. This is due mostly because they bought a business which never really made any money and didn't have the skills to improve the business. If you've got any money, keep your purse strings tight and get any job you can at first. Lower your pride and learn what's going on. Make friends with as many people as you can and don't be afraid to ask for favours. Buy a cheap car. Make do with less until you get into the groove of things.

As for places to live, I would think of smaller places. Think about Red Deer or even Medicine Hat in Alberta or towns outside of Vancouver.

Just remember that your money can dry up fast when you don't have an income coming in, and any job you have will lead to something better.

shahbaz

Apr 10, 2009
Re: Which is the best place.?

I have got the immigration visa and will come to canada next month. Pls. answer the blew question

1-which city is most warm than all other cities
2-where the odd jobs are easily available.
3-Can i take the mobile set from paksitan or purchase from canada.
4-if i reach in canada at the mid of next month, then how many days will be req. for completion the starting procedure
5-which cities are most cheapest in every point of view i.e for rent a house
6- what is the lowest rate of house or flat of one room
7- can i share the house with other family.
8- am i reach every city of canada or only mentioned in the form. i got skill person immigrant visa

rgds
Engr.Muhammd Shahbaz

shahbaz

Apr 10, 2009
Re: Which city is best.

I have got the immigration visa and will come to canada next month.Pls. answer the blew question

1- which city is most warm than other cities
2- which city is most cheapest
3- where the odd job easily available
4- can i bought the mobile set from pakistan or not.

rgds
Shahbaz
0300-6628875

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. If you don't like cold winters go to Vancouver. If you like hot humid summers but are ok with cold winters, you can go to Toronto.

2. http://srv129.services.gc.ca/eiregions/eng/rates_cur.aspx

3. Canada has two mobile phone systems, CDMA and GSM. The CDMA works without a SIM card, the phone is programmed by the phone company. The GSM system works with a SIM card. If you have a phone, that uses a SIM card, you can buy a SIM card for the Rogers or Fido network. Your phone needs to have either 850 or 1900 MHz frequency though. If you can not use your phone, you can buy a phone in Canada. If you think you will use it a lot, you can get a free phone with a 2-3 year contract. If you do not think you will use it a lot, you can get a pre-paid phone from Telus for $100 with $75 in credits.

4. You should get your PR card mailed to you in about a month

5. You will find the cheapest housing in some village where you can't find a job

6. In Edmonton last year, it was still possible to find a room or small apartment for $500 because I know a couple of people who did.

7. If you want to. Look at roomates.ca or craigslist or in the paper for a room to rent. Be careful that you end up as the only person singed up for the lease or signed up for the utilities.

8. If you applied as a federal skilled worker, you can land anywhere except in Quebec but after landing, you can go anywhere.

A

adnan_hsn

Re: Which is the best place.?

shahbaz said:
I have got the immigration visa and will come to canada next month. Pls. answer the blew question

1-which city is most warm than all other cities
2-where the odd jobs are easily available.
3-Can i take the mobile set from paksitan or purchase from canada.
4-if i reach in canada at the mid of next month, then how many days will be req. for completion the starting procedure
5-which cities are most cheapest in every point of view i.e for rent a house
6- what is the lowest rate of house or flat of one room
7- can i share the house with other family.
8- am i reach every city of canada or only mentioned in the form. i got skill person immigrant visa

rgds
Engr.Muhammd Shahbaz

Shahbaz, I'd highly appreciate if you dont hijack this thread by asking totally different questions. You may start another one if you wish.

Regards

Jada

Apr 26, 2009
Nigeria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
March 31st 2012
Leon said:
I think housing in Calgary is slightly more expensive than in Edmonton still but you can find apartments around the same price range if you look. Food should be the same. AB is among the cheaper provinces to live because there is no provincial sales tax and no monthly health care fee.
Thanks Leon. Edmonton is sounding better and better. What about the winters in Edmonton?
Nicholas said:
Buy a cheap car. Make do with less until you get into the groove of things.

As for places to live, I would think of smaller places. Think about Red Deer or even Medicine Hat in Alberta or towns outside of Vancouver.

Just remember that your money can dry up fast when you don't have an income coming in, and any job you have will lead to something better.
Nicholas i understand what you are saying but i am wondering, if one gets any job available when one lands, will it not affect one's chances of getting a better job in one's desired field because of experience et al?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Jada, it depends on the risk that you are willing to take, whether you are okay with being underemployed vs risking the chance of being unemployed. Depending on where you come from, your English ability, your experience, your job, etc, it can be hard to find a job in Canada, (this is based on the experience of some immigrants). It may be better to be underemployed until one has Canadian experience (just living there, being in Canada, networking as an example), then one would have a chance to be employed in their preferred industry. Of course, some will get lucky and get a job in their preferred industry without ever having to be underemployed but it can be a risk. Good luck.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jada said:
Thanks Leon. Edmonton is sounding better and better. What about the winters in Edmonton?
Very cold and snowy.

Jada said:
Nicholas i understand what you are saying but i am wondering, if one gets any job available when one lands, will it not affect one's chances of getting a better job in one's desired field because of experience et al?
You could say that if you take a job just to have a job, you are not getting experience in your field and you do not have as much time to look for a better job but if you don't take a job at all, you are getting no experience in any field and you are eating up your savings. Nobody knows how fast they will find a job. It's up to you to decide how long you want to look for a "good" job before you take some job just a get a little cash flowing in. Depending on how much you have in savings, for some people that could be a year, for others it's maybe only a month or two. You also have to take into consideration if taking a lower job will look better on your CV than having been unemployed for a while.

maple

Jan 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 feb 2008
AOR Received.
july 2008
Med's Request
28 march 2009
Med's Done....
april 2009
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
29 / 07/ 2010
VISA ISSUED...
03 /Aug/ 2010
LANDED..........
landed on 5th Aug 2010
I guess the best and safest province is Ontario, regardless of Toronto as we always hear about crimes of shooting, stabbing, in addition to being really expensive. Cities like Calgary and Vancouver are pretty cold and maybe more expensive though they are known to have good opportunities for whoever wants to work. Maybe calm, unknown cities are better and safer than the known ones.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I didn't know Ontario is the safest province in terms of crime.

You are correct in saying there is good cities/towns in Canada other than the big ones.