+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

who else is waiting for FBI certificate?

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
27-07-2010 (to Detroit 15/09/10)
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-2010 (arrived 01-11-2010)
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
FBI check is for those who lived in the states for more than 6 months after turning 18 years old. I have never had a RCMP check since I have never lived in Canada. I doubt you can replace FBI check w/ RCMP check.

charloux said:
I see so much about FBI certificates on this forum... Do you only need to submit one if you have lived in the USA? They requested an RCMP check for my husband. Anyone else have to do one of those?

Are people using the term FBI for the RCMP check? Just a tad confused...

adetia9

Star Member
Mar 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
USA Outland - Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2010
AOR Received.
03-05-2010
File Transfer...
03-05-2010
Med's Done....
30-11-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-03-2011
LANDED..........
04-08-2011
As a followup, we're still waiting for our "second round" of fingerprints to be processed. My first package included two sets, this second package includes three. I used the RCMP for the first set, and a paid fingerprinting service the second. I really don't know why the FBI won't update to using electronic fingerprints for Canadian immigration as I am told that these are either accepted as good enough on the spot or the machine won't let you move on to the next image. Sounds like it would cut down on alot of hassle, trouble and wasted time for everyone.

tigerpika

Jun 1, 2010
I got my prints taking locally, at the jail. They had an electronic machine and there were no problems. I think it just depends where you get your prints done, since the FBI certainly accepts the electronic prints. They print them out on a fingerprint card that is identical to the one they use for ink.

adetia9

Star Member
Mar 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
USA Outland - Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-03-2010
AOR Received.
03-05-2010
File Transfer...
03-05-2010
Med's Done....
30-11-2009
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-03-2011
LANDED..........
04-08-2011
Really? It says in the package that they must be standard not electronic "rolled" prints.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It really does not make sense why the FBI only accepts the now outdated ink and roll method. Part of the problem with my first set of prints being rejected is that the local Ontario city police that did mine, had to dust off the old ink and roll equipment to do them. As everything they currently do is electronic fingerprint scans, which is all RCMP accepts.
Not having had them done before I didn't have anything to compare them with. After my first set of prints were reject I went back to the local Ontario city police and had them redone. Upon examination I could clearly tell they were not that great. I then went to Toronto and had them professionally done, and the technician there also said the quality was not that great. The place I went to in Toronto specialize in fingerprinting and was quite familiar with FBI standards.

As far as RCMP check, if you have been in Canada even as a visitor for six month you will need to have a police check for living in Canada. When I went the fingerprinting service in Toronto they pretty much made me purchase a second set of prints for the RCMP police check.

tigerpika

Jun 1, 2010
Where does it say that? I just scanned the FBI information request page and the CIC for US police certificates and didn't see it. I am applying outland, does that make a difference?

I'm just curious, I don't want to give out bad information!

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
adetia9 said:
Really? It says in the package that they must be standard not electronic "rolled" prints.
That is true. The FBI does not accept electronic prints.

However what they do is scan your fingerprints electronically with a fingerprint scanner. Apparently the electronic scanner can immediately tell if the prints are good (quality). They then take the scan and print it out on an FBI approved fingerprint card.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
I second that.

Yup and the electronic scanner can tell if the prints are good right away and made you do over and over if it wasn't..I had it done at the FBI when I went in for the US citizenship years ago. The machine was very useful since I didn't have to worry about the prints weren't good enough since it told me the results (of the quality) right away!

Btw, my pinky finger was the reason I had to do over again (like 5 times!!). yikes!

sogwap said:

However what they do is scan your fingerprints electronically with a fingerprint scanner. Apparently the electronic scanner can immediately tell if the prints are good (quality). They then take the scan and print it out on an FBI approved fingerprint card.

tigerpika

Jun 1, 2010
Yes, they were scanned on the machine, it was a very painless process. My prints on the card came out lovely. I got the certificate about six weeks after I sent it in, but the website says it can take up to 13 weeks. Good luck everyone.

michaelab

May 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2010
AOR Received.
3-09-2010
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
27-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
23-12-2010
Oooo I wish I had it scanned on the machine too! Unfortunately I had to go to the state police station and they did them manually lol ugghhh. I think all the fingerprinting places should get the machines :p that saves time and money for the applicants..and we wouldn't be sitting here worried and waiting!

tigerpika said:
Yes, they were scanned on the machine, it was a very painless process. My prints on the card came out lovely. I got the certificate about six weeks after I sent it in, but the website says it can take up to 13 weeks. Good luck everyone.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
sogwap said:

My husbands prints were electronically printed on to the fingerprint card and they accepted them and mailed us back in 6 weeks.

I wonder if what they mean by "electronic" is the electronic submission of the prints versus being mailed to them because they certainly accepted my husbands prints no problem.

abedelia

Star Member
Oct 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sogwap said:
As far as RCMP check, if you have been in Canada even as a visitor for six month you will need to have a police check for living in Canada. When I went the fingerprinting service in Toronto they pretty much made me purchase a second set of prints for the RCMP police check.
Hi Sogwap,
Are you saying that you need a Canadian police check to submit with your application if you've lived in Canada over 6 months? Or did you have a request for an RCMP criminal record check from your visa office?

I am asking because I lived in Canada as a student for 4 years (it's how I met my husband) but I didn't submit a police certificate for Canada per this information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

I am wondering if Buffalo will ultimately ask for one...

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
somewhere in the instructions it says not to do fingerprints for Canada even if you've lived there for more than 6 months. They will specifically request for you to do them if it is needed, but is apparently not common enough for them to require it.

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abedelia said:
Hi Sogwap,
Are you saying that you need a Canadian police check to submit with your application if you've lived in Canada over 6 months? Or did you have a request for an RCMP criminal record check from your visa office?

I am asking because I lived in Canada as a student for 4 years (it's how I met my husband) but I didn't submit a police certificate for Canada per this information:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

I am wondering if Buffalo will ultimately ask for one...
I have no inside knowledge. I was under the assumption that I would not need security clearance from Canada. As technically I'm a visitor, since I have not stayed in Canada for more than six months at a time. Also I plan to apply outland, with my permanent address in the States.
When I had my fingerprints taken in Toronto for immigration, They said that if I was in Canada for over six months or living here at the time of PR immigration process that they would ask for security clearance from Canada.

According to the information on that page you are correct.
How to obtain a police certificate
Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed.

How and where do I obtain one?

If the visa office asks you to complete a criminal record check, visit the RCMP website for instructions.
However since you spent four years in Canada, it might have been a good idea to get one.

Does anyone have any concrete information on this, rather than hear-say?

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
sogwap said:
I have no inside knowledge. I was under the assumption that I would not need security clearance from Canada. As technically I'm a visitor, since I have not stayed in Canada for more than six months at a time. Also I plan to apply outland, with my permanent address in the States.
When I had my fingerprints taken in Toronto for immigration, They said that if I was in Canada for over six months or living here at the time of PR immigration process that they would ask for security clearance from Canada.

According to the information on that page you are correct. However since you spent four years in Canada, it might have been a good idea to get one.

Does anyone have any concrete information on this, rather than hear-say?

Canada

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?

Only in certain cases. The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed.

How and where do I obtain one?

If the visa office asks you to complete a criminal record check, visit the RCMP website for instructions.