+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

which private health insurance agancy?

Brita

Jun 9, 2012
Dear All,

for a newly landed immigrant which private health insurance agency in Canada (Toronto) has better coverage and also is more affordable to get before we could use the public health insurance?
please let me know the names and possibly the links.

best regards

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Brita!
There are quite a few companies that are pretty good. Our agency works with 6 different companies. Manulife is the largest insurance company currently and their coverage is also pretty good. If you want you can email me at arbetov.office@gmail.com with your age and I will email you the lowest quotes from 6 different insurance companies. You can also send me a private message on the forum.
You can visit our website

Last edited:

Janna3D

May 17, 2012
Kanata, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2012
File Transfer...
24-08-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
09-12-2012
Haver do you deal with Traveler's Insurance? They have a plan called the Ex-patriot plan, and it covers maternity(well, 80% of it) if I give birth after being enrolled for 10 months. Small window of time to get pregnant, but still better than any other plan Ive read about!

Please let me know, as I'd be interested in enrolling in that.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Hi Brita,

The best starting point for your (visitors or expat) travel health insurance options is to use a comparable quote website that can help you instantly look at all the top available policies found in Canada, like the one offered by BestQuote Travel Insurance Agency.

Landed immigrants, permanent resident visa holders or foreign workers waiting to be accepted on provincial health care will be interested in a 2-3 month visitors to canada insurance policy: http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/visitors-to-canada-insurance

For visitors to Canada insurance they are licensed with ten different insurance companies, although not all the companies will show up on the quote depending on the duration you choose, how old the travelers are, etc.

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions, posted on BestQuote's site (although most policy details are presented to view and compare (prices, refund policy, eligibility, coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, etc.) after you have asked for an instant quote):

Q: Why should visitors buy insurance from a Canadian insurance company instead of from a company in their home country?
A: Canadian medical providers (hospital, dentists, medical clinics, etc.) prefer to work with Canadian insurance companies. There is direct billing between hospitals and the Canadian insurance companies. In the event that you have to pay for expenses and then file a claim, Canadian insurance companies will have a faster claim procedure as they can verify Canadian medical expenses faster than providers in foreign countries (so you get reimbursed faster).

Also, Canadian insurance companies are regulated by Canadian regulators, at some of the very highest standards around the world. In fact, they are also re-insured by Assuris - a Canadian government agency that will cover up to $60,000 of medical expenses in case a Canadian insurance company becomes insolvent. Not that that is likely, but it's nicer to know that you are insured no matter what happens. And, of course, if you are already in Canada when you are shopping for visitors insurance, companies in your home country may not insure you because you have already left your home (province).

Q: What amount of Visitors travel medical insurance should I purchase?
A: Hospital costs for visitors to Canada can amount to over $4,000 per day, and air ambulance charges to return you home could very easily be in the ten's of thousands of dollars. We recommend at least $100,000 of medical insurance coverage if peace of mind is what you are after.

Q: Do I purchase Visitors to Canada insurance before I leave, or once I arrive in Canada?
A: We recommend that you purchase your visitors to Canada travel insurance prior to your arrival in Canada. If you purchase after you arrive in Canada, most insurance companies will have a waiting period of anywhere between 1 to 8 days after you purchase, during which time there will be only limited coverage. If you are a landed immigrant, or coming to Canada on a working holiday visa, visitors insurance allows you to be covered for sickness and injury before being eligible (3 month waiting period) for provincial health coverage. Don't take any chances by waiting to buy visitors to Canada insurance after you arrive. Buy it before you get here and avoid having any gaps in coverage.

Q: Can I purchase a policy for my family members who are planning to come for a visit?
A: Yes. Anyone can purchase a visitors insurance policy on behalf of someone coming to Canada. In fact, you should know that if a person is coming to Canada and you have sponsored their stay, you will be responsible for their medical bills if they cannot pay for them. So even if they don't want the coverage, you might want to buy it for them anyway. For people employing a live-in caregiver, visitors insurance is what you buy for 'nanny insurance' before your caregiver becomes eligible for provincial healthcare.

Q: Are there any discounts for two or more travelers buying at the same time?
A: Some company's do offer discounts for companion travel, or larger group travel insurance policies. However, It may actually make sense to buy two separate policies, because the price may be the same (depending on the company) but if one traveler has a claim and both travelers return home the policy holder that did not claim can apply for a refund. If both travelers are covered under the same policy, no refunds are possible after a claim has been made by either of the travelers, no matter how many days are left on the policy.

Q: If I have a pre-existing condition, can I get coverage for that with visitors insurance?
A: Maybe. It depends on the pre-existing condition, and the terms and conditions of the policy. Some insurance companies offer plans that cover pre-existing conditions as long as they have been stable for a certain period of time (3 to 6 months) before departure from your home country. Sometimes, pre-existing conditions will not be covered. It is important to read your entire policy to make sure you are aware of the definitions affecting coverage, as well as the possible exclusions that may apply.

Only some of the available plans will cover pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart conditions, etc. Other policies, while they do cover stable pre-existing medical conditions, use strict eligibility questions to screen out applicants (for example, no coverage available if you use an ICD (pacemaker), oral steroids for lung conditions, diagnosis of stroke, blood clots, congestive heart failure or heart murmur in past 12 months, etc.). For a direct comparison of the exclusions concerning pre-exisiting medical conditions, click here to compare policy wording and stable periods.If you have any questions about your pre-existing conditions and obtaining coverage, please contact us.

Q: Do I have to take a medical test before I can buy Visitors to Canada insurance?
A: No. There is no medical exam required prior to purchase. There may be some medical questions that are asked as a part of your online application. You must answer all questions truthfully, as not doing so may void (cancel) your coverage. If you have to submit a claim, the insurance company will investigate to determine if your condition was a pre-existing one, and/or whether you were truthful on your application.

Q: Can my Visitors to Canada medical insurance be extended if I want to stay longer?
A: Most policies can be extended up to one year of time in Canada, provided you are still in good health and do not have any prior or pending claims on the policy. You just need to call your insurance company before your policy ends (please look up exact extension details in your policy wording, and they can extend the coverage for you.

Q: Who can purchase Visitors to Canada travel insurance?
A: As long as they meet the eligibility requirements stated in the policy:

Visitors to Canada here on business or vacation;
Immigrants to Canada waiting for government health coverage approval.
Canadians who have returned to Canada and are not yet covered under a provincial health plan.

Q: Do you offer discounts for group travel medical insurance?
A: Yes, some insurance companies offer group discounts. Call us toll-free at 1-888-888-0510 for more information.

Q: Am I covered for trips outside Canada?
A: Your medical emergency coverage begins after your arrival in Canada. After that time, as long as the majority of your period of coverage is spent in Canada, you will be covered for during travel outside Canada. However, expenses incurred in your own country will usually not be covered. Please read your policy for details.

Q: If Visitors to Canada insurance won't cover my pre-existing condition, why should I buy it?
A: Even though the emergency medical coverage might not apply to an existing condition, your travel insurance will cover any new illnesses or accidental injuries. There are also Visitors to Canada plans that include trip interruption coverage, which can protect you from financial losses from having to cancel your trip after you come to Canada (ie. for a family emergency back home), or for delays and other surprises that occur while travelling.

Q: What do I do in the case of an emergency and/or hospitalization?
A: You must call your insurance company and notify them of any emergency medical treatment or hospitalization as soon as possible, , and/or to obtain their approval of expenses that can be covered (ie. flying home to obtain medical attention). Failure to notify your insurance company can result in decreased coverage.

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Hi Janna3D,

While you will find a few 'expatriate' plans available that do offer more extensive coverage, including some maternity benefits and coverage for regular checkups, these plans tend to be much more expensive than visitors to Canada plans.

You can find some of these plans available through BestQuote's online quote system and reference page, but for a more complete set of expatriate plans including the 'patriot' plan, you'd be better to call them (1-888-888-0510): http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/expatriate-insurance-and-travel-insurance-for-backpackers

In total, BestQuote is licensed with 6 different provides on international health care (expatriate) policies, although for different reasons, only a few are listed in their current online database.

For visitors to Canada (landed immigrants and permanent resident visa holders) that are planning to apply for and become covered under provincial health care, there is little benefit to using an expatriate plan over a visitors to Canada policy because the waiting time to go on provincial health care is only three months or so (it can be less), and the window of coverage for pregnancy under an expatriate plan is quite small. (You can't be pregnant before arriving in Canada, and then, by the time you know that you became pregnant while in Canada - so that it is covered under the expatriate plan), it'll be three months or so later and you'll be covered under provincial health care - full stop.

Why pay a lot more for coverage that won't be used prior to becoming covered under provincial health care?

Of course, if you are planning to be in Canada visiting for an extended period of time and will not be eligible for provincial health care, then looking into the various expatriate plans available might make sense.

Brita

Jun 9, 2012
Hi every body
thanks for your provided answers.
what does deductible means in Insurance terms and quotes?

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
Hi Brita,

When you choose to buy a policy that has a deductible, that means that the insurance company will require you to pay the first (deductible) portion before they pay the remainder of expenses. So for example, if you had to visit the hospital for an emergency illness, and your policy had a $100 deductible, and the hospital bill came to $760, then you would be asked to pay the $100 before the insurance company paid the other $660.

On the BestQuote website, once you get a quote, you can change the deductible amounts right on the quote presentation, and the price will automatically be refreshed to show the lower price (the higher the deductible that you choose, the lower the price).

If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact admin@bestquotetravelinsurance.ca

Brita

Jun 9, 2012
Dear Haitokin

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply
:)
BTW have you heard of Travel Guard agency? in best quotes it offers generous coverage list with the lowest price,about $100 lower than others!! is it a reliable insurance company?
all the bests
Brita

jennydorres

Jul 19, 2013
;D easy breezy!!, safevisit.ca is the best one, i have been using them sinec first time i started in this country and thyr are really good! for anything you need!

Martin58474

Feb 3, 2014
Just a quick note to anyone else who reads this post. When coming to Canada you are better off buying a visitor to Canada insurance plan as opposed to travel insurance from another country.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The main reason to buy Visitors to Canada insurance, rather than travel insurance is that it is easier to deal with the company locally when it comes to claims. Also, for some visas the border agents require to see a insurance proof from a Canadian insurance. Hope that helps! :)

fsw2014 batch

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
bumping this this thread up. could anyone please suggest insurance companies for new immigrants to toronto? preferable ones that they have used and found good. thanks!

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Most Canadian insurance companies offer their products to New Immigrants all across Canada. You can get a personal quote based on your age, duration of insurance coverage and medical conditions status and choose a plan that suits you from the list of available options, if you follow the link below.

Temporary Medical Insurance for New Immigrants

As for recommendation, if you are looking for a decent coverage, you could take a look at TuGo or Manulife's insurance for new immigrants to Canada.

Yet, in case you are seeking something less costly, you may want to consider getting The Destination Canada insurance policy.

Last edited:

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
Go to the below site and compare the Visitors to Canada insurance. Destination Canada seems to be cheaper as compared to other plans and looks like it has almost similar coverage.

https://arbetovinsurance.com/

anilsharma

Jul 26, 2016
One of the best TATA AIG Insurance agency, No medicals on enrollment – Up to 50 years and/or for sum assured below 5 lacs