Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
But most of the parents go for Canadian passport, since OCI is sufficient to live, work and study in India.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
longwaitwithrq said:
Hi I know of a similar case where the son was born in another European country and his parents decided as patriotic citizens to get him an Indian passport and Indian citizenship. The kid remained an Indian and cant stop cursing his parents as he cant reverse his parents decision and now is a young man. Has been so bitter that he refuses to meet his parents now that he doesn't stay with them. Cursing his existence in India for whatever reasons !
I find it hard to believe since no European country grants nationality based on unrestricted jus solis (some few grant based on jus solis basis but there are a number of rules that are applied), which contrasts with Canada's mix of jus soli and jus sanguinis.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
longwaitwithrq said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

dont need u to believe facts ! the boy is 32 years old now
The link above states what I wrote, heh.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
longwaitwithrq said:
i dint notice u wrote u are a dunce
HAHAHAHAHA you're hilarious.

Sunny2015

May 25, 2015
If we choose Indian passport right after the baby is born, Do we need we get Canada Visa for the baby even if baby is not going out of Canada and coming back (given the fact that baby has Canadian birth certificate and should be legally allowed to stay in Canada)?
Will the baby need Canada Visa to enter to Canada for all travels (as the baby wont have a Canadian passport)?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Must be some visa or travel document required.

WiseGuy711

May 30, 2015
alphazip said:
Not sure what European country this was, but Canada and the USA award citizenship based on birth in the country. European countries mainly award citizenship based on descent. Parents of a child born in Canada can't make any deal or arrangement to deny the child's right to Canadian citizenship. If this family is going to live in India, obviously the choice that makes the most sense would be to get an Indian passport. The child can always decide later to move back to Canada. The only change that would be permanent is if the child (as an adult) renounces Canadian citizenship before Canadian authorities. At that point, any right to live and work in Canada comes to an end.
France.

kooltest22

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What about OHIP? Do you lose it once you opt for Indian citizenship?

One frank advise for you is to do the delivery in India. That way, you would get the Indian citizenship by default and do not have to worry about the rule changes. Also, since you are on WP, you should get the dependent visa for the child in just a few weeks.

kooltest22

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For PR parents though, it is a tricky situation.
1. If they opt for the delivery in India, the PR processing time would be very long, 1 year or so? Please correct me if I am wrong.
2. If they opt for the delivery in Canada and get for Indian citizenship, what travel document would they get for the baby?
Will PR be rejected saying the baby is applicable to apply for Canadian citizenship?
Has anyone done this before? How long does it take?

PS: I am well aware that the option of OCI exists and is the easiest one. But, as the OP mentioned, if you are clear about moving back home, then it is worth considering applying for Indian passport.

sehj

Jul 3, 2013
Me and my wife are Indian citizens (hold Indian passports) currently staying in Canada both having a valid Canadian work permit. We are expecting a child to be born in November this year in Canada and would like to confirm on few points regarding citizenship of baby and its consequences.

1. Should we get Indian or Canadian passport for the baby, (as we want settle in India permanently and do not plan to come back to Canada). What are the pros and Cons of both these options?
2. If we choose Indian passport, will my child be able to reclaim the Canadian citizenship when he/she reaches 18 years of age?
3. If we choose to take Canadian passport, will he/she be able to claim Indian citizenship ever after based on parents having Indian citizenship?

I saw few related threads but could not get answers to all my queries. Please help
I have same case also.Just want to know what did you find best way to solve this priblem?
please let me know

shanky2023

Apr 12, 2023
Thanks a lot alphazip. This really very helpful info.
So based on these facts, it seems to me that it is better to go for Indian passport so that child doesn't suffers any partial treatment at any front and meanwhile we parents also need not to worry about paying any extra money for child's education (NRI/OCI quota etc). Also the child will have the option to select his/her citizenship once he/she reaches 18 yrs of age.
Please suggest if I am missing any other consequence that we must also consider before assuming this option to be better.
Hi There,

I saw your query and I am in a similar boat now. Could you please help me with your experience like what did you choose and how do you feel about your decision. Thanks.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hi There,

I saw your query and I am in a similar boat now. Could you please help me with your experience like what did you choose and how do you feel about your decision. Thanks.
You should ask what specific questions you have. It is pretty much up to you if you want the Indian passport for your child or not. Irrespective of your actions now, the child will always have their own choice to make the day turn 18. So if you decided to get the Indian passport, the child can always renounce Indian citizenship and come back to Canada when they grow up.

Alternatively, if you decided to get the Canadian Passport, and move back to India, your child would still have access to pretty much the same resources which Indian citizens have. However, they might be subject to higher tuition fees. Even in this case, if the child eventually wants to become an Indian citizen, they can anytime renounce their Canadian citizenship and get Indian citizenship.

In summary, you are likely overthinking.

Reactions: footyluv

samdevban

Apr 21, 2023
If I get Indian Passport for my newborn in Canada, then will she need a visa to enter Canada and more importantly will IRCC grant her a visa (considering she is already Canadian citizen by birth)?

We are temporary residents with work permit in Quebec and we don't plan to settle here permanently but we will stay here for next couple of years. So, she will travel back and forth between Canada and India couple of times but will do her primary education in India.

So to summarize the queries:

1. Does a Canadian Citizen by birth holding a foreign passport (Indian) and without Canadian Passport, need a visa to enter to/travel from Canada or a Canadian Birth Certificate + Indian Passport be sufficient?

2. In case she must need a Canadian Passport to travel outside Canada, will it be easy for her after a few years, to renounce her Canadian Passport to get an Indian Passport provided her birth is declared to the Indian Consulate within 1 year of birth? How complex is the process of renouncing one citizenship and acquiring the other one?

Please advise.

Last edited:

wink

May 25, 2021
1. Does a Canadian Citizen by birth holding a foreign passport (Indian) and without Canadian Passport, need a visa to enter to/travel from Canada or a Canadian Birth Certificate + Indian Passport be sufficient?
As for Canada is concerned, your child is a Canadian citizen, so there is no need for a visa. In other words, they won't issue any visa as it does not make sense.

If she decide to travel to Canada (while holding Indian passport), I would think it is similar to the situation many people in the forum discuss which is they took oath but left the country (for various reasons) before they could get the passport or citizenship certificate. If you search the forum, you would see many discussions regarding this scenario. What you would find answer to these question is that somehow one should show up at the Canada land border and provide some kind of proof (though you don't have the passport or citizenship certificate yet) that you are a citizen. My understanding is that the border official will try their best, with the info provided, to confirm you are a citizen indeed. In you daughter's case, she would have a birth certificate which should be a good enough proof to let her inside the country. But I am not sure whether you could do that every time. As you can guess, only way to show up at the Canada land border is via US and for that to happen one need to have a valid US visa to fly into the US.

One of the way, I could think of.