+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

which letter to use for work experience reference?

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
hi. i am planning to use my part time TA/RA job at university to apply for EE FSW.

(1) I have the HR at my university write a letter about my working experience, which contains: job title, salary, start date and end date. They cannot include job duties.

(2) I am also asking my phd adviser to write another letter to prove my job duties as TA and RA are falling under the NOC 4012.

This is how the letter (1) looks like:
During 2011/8 - 2018/5, XXX was hired as part time graduate student research assistant (RA) at XXX university (salary xxx, working 20 hours/week).

For Letter (2), I can ask my PHD adviser to include any details if helpful.

Which letter is better? Should I use both?

Problem with letter (1) is that
(a) During 2011/8-2018/5, I have worked as both TA and RA. But the system only shows the RA. I don't know why.
(b) During 2013, I had an internship at a company. But looks like the HR system confirms I am a RA from 2011/8 - 2018/5, continuously. Payslips will say otherwise though. I am thinking of including this in my Letter of Explanation.

Please let me know your opinions.

Last edited:

t1zxz003

Dec 9, 2019
I am not 100% sure but I believe only full time job counts as points towards CRS score.

I don’t think RA or TA would count as a job experience.
According to the website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

And the CRS tool: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

In the last 10 years, how many total years of foreign skilled work experience do you have?

It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).

Part time job can count. Also TA/RA are within NOC 4012. By the way I’m not in Canada. I did TA and RA in USA.

please correct me if I’m wrong. This is important

Last edited: