+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Part-time TA or RA do count as full-time job

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
Hello All Friends,

This is Frank Mas. Here I want to clear a confusion you have, or maybe you have it cleared already. University part-time TA or RA job experience do work !!! You could convert your part-time hours to full-time hours.

From 2010 to 2015, I was a PhD student in the USA. I worked as an RA or TA continuously during these five years, and the workload was 20 hour per week. So 5 years continuous RA or TA job in the USA, is equal to 3.3 full-time job in Canada. In EE application system, I claimed that NOC 4012, and my CRS was 462.

Now I've got my PPR. So, part-time TA or RA is not a problem at all. All you need to get are: (1) Employment verification letter from the university HR department, (2) Job duty description letter from your advisor or from your department, (3) Tax form to verify that these jobs were paid.

After I graduate, I worked as a postdoc fellow in the US. But postdoc fellow in the US was not a job (so weird), so I claimed my TA or RA (NOC 4012) as my primary job for EE application. So I got my PPR.

Good luck to you all.

Reactions: amit2410

Chen87

May 17, 2018
Yes, it was. One of the key requirements of NOC 4012 is that: "Enrolment in a university or college program is required"

Good Luck !!!
Thanks.
In my country, the stipend is not taxed, so I don't have tax forms. However, I do have a document that shows the monthly stipend I was paid with (in addition to the reference letter my supervisor will give me). Do you think these will be sufficient?

yhan

Star Member
Jul 28, 2018
Thanks.
In my country, the stipend is not taxed, so I don't have tax forms. However, I do have a document that shows the monthly stipend I was paid with (in addition to the reference letter my supervisor will give me). Do you think these will be sufficient?
I don't think it would be a problem.

akapur

Mar 20, 2020
Hi Yhan and others! Thank you for this informative post. I am new to this forum and appreciate the information and help available here. I am in similar situation. Completed my PhD from US and working as a postdoc in US now. I have a few questions:

1. If the position keeps switching between TA and RA depending on semesters, is it required to specify exact dates of employment for each? Or can HR write that '(name) was employed as a RA/TA starting 08/2012 to 08/2018'? I am confused on how to exactly word the employment verification letter for given situation.

2. Can HR describe job duties in same employment verification letter or should department describe duties as TA and PhD adviser describe duties as RA on separate letters?

3. HR should also specify in same letter that ' (name) was enrolled as a graduate student in (program) at (university) during this period'. Correct?

4. By tax forms, do you mean W2?

So postdoc is not regarded as a job, huh! That is strange. Have never heard of that before.

Thank you in advance for response.