+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

which is safest way to send Passport to the Canadian Consulate in NY from India?

smiley111

Oct 14, 2009
Hi friends

I have lived in Canada as a student and worker for the past six years. Last year, while living in Canada, i had applied for my Canadian permanent residency in New York. My Canadian student visa expired in December 2008 and i have been living in Mumbai (India) since then.

Earlier this month my lawyer (in Canada) received a letter of confirmation, from (the Canadian Consulate in New York), for my Canadian Permanent Residency. As per the letter, i have been asked to mail in my passport to the Canadian Consulate in New York

My Canadian lawyer spoke to Indian embassy in Canada they said that the law states that non-owners cannot carry passports that are not theirs, so I cannot send passport with friends or family.
To courier passport from India to overseas is not legal, that in most countries this is not even permitted
So, in reality no option to send Passports for stamping to NY

I am deep in trouble, as I need to send my passport to NY immediately for stamping.
I realise that this is a special case. Since i am in Mumbai (India)

I learn from the Indian Postal Department that Indian Government does not allow Postal Department or any private or international courier to accept Passports for delivery in any foreign country. But i called FED EX & they said Yes, but with authorized letter

My question here is which is safest way to send PP, with family/ courier/ apply for tourist visa ?

Since I have to act upon it within 30 days, please advise me on the above matter ASAP. A prompt reply will be greatly appreciated.

Waiting for positive reply at the earliest
ThanQ :)

sk.aggarwal

Star Member
Aug 26, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 30, 2009
Doc's Request.
October 26, 2009
Nomination.....
-
IELTS Request
October 26, 2009
File Transfer...
October 26, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 2, 2010
Med's Done....
March 1, 2010
Interview........
not done yet
Passport Req..
Feb 2, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
April 03, 2010
LANDED..........
Lets see
Getting tourist visa and going to NY is the legal way. But you need to make sure you understands costs associated with visa visa fees, air tickets for you and your family and staying in US till you get back your passport. However you can just move to Canada once you get the passport and do your landing. I would say sending with family is safe and less risky. However it is not legal.

Yarla7bh

Sep 12, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 22, 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 23, 2009
AOR Received.
May 06, 2010 (2nd AOR)
File Transfer...
Aug 04, 2010. NY
Med's Request
Oct 26, 2010
Med's Done....
Dec 09, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
My Guess......

U have 2 options - 1.Tourist Visa - 2. Fedex/Friend/Courier

-- Apply for a visitor/tourist visa first.
--If u get VISA ur fine, now u have to think if u want to fly or FEDEX it.
-- If u DO NOT get a Tourist visa, only option is FEDEX.
-- Yr choice depending upon how much time , money and effort u want to spend. Applying for Tourist Visa and going in Person will be a
backup option if u change yr mind on FEDEX.
-- Going in person would be the SAFEST POSSIBLE THING.

Good Luck and let us know what u did.......and how it went...

I wish u good luck

HY

B

belize

Easy way get duabi visa go duabi and send it from there and wait until you get it back. it will work.

good luck

KamalDhingra2007

Jul 13, 2009
Did you check if you and each family person need to be present in NY with their passports. If personal presence is not required , i would suggest you can either FEDX or send it along some family or friend who is going to US. Let us know what you finally decide as this same issue i will also be facing soon.

Yarla7bh

Sep 12, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 22, 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 23, 2009
AOR Received.
May 06, 2010 (2nd AOR)
File Transfer...
Aug 04, 2010. NY
Med's Request
Oct 26, 2010
Med's Done....
Dec 09, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
belize said:
Easy way get duabi visa go duabi and send it from there and wait until you get it back. it will work.

good luck
Why dubai..? He needs to go to USA.....

reachmenow

May 21, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Family PGP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2015
Doc's Request.
07-JULY-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
24-06-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
24-June-2016
Med's Request
07-July-2016
Med's Done....
08-Aug-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21-March-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-March-2017
LANDED..........
Sometime Before August 2017
Hi,

Please check with FEDEX what authorization letter they will need, i think mostly they will ask for a letter from Regional Passport Office.

GO to Regional passport office and see if they can give you that letter /No Objection Certificate.

IF you could get this then your problem is solved else look for tourist visa.

If both of the above fails, then only option would be to find a friend or relative who can do it for you , the final and very risky option is to send the passport as a document i.e dont disclose it as a passport to Fedex :) but i would advise against it.
I know of a friend who could successfully do it however again its a big risk.

Thanks,

rajesh3140

Apr 19, 2007
If you can afford the costs associated with going to USA & getting it stamped, then it the safest way. Your next option is Fedex or DHL/ BlueDart.
I live in US and have personally used DHL to send my passports to New Delhi for visa stamping. US FedEX refused to do it and the passports reached safely, no hassles, although you do need some documentation to accompany the packet. So my advise is, double check with India FedEx &/or BlueDart. Having said that, remember that if you choose to post/ courier passports to NY, USA then the embassy will deliver the passports to the address they have on their file as your local address after issuing the visa. They will not courier them to India.
Choose wisely!!

smiley111

Oct 14, 2009
Thanks a lot friends for such a quick reply :)

* Canadian Tourist Visa - I applied last week, they rejected my application saying:
- I dont satisfy that I would leave canada at the end of temporary period if i were authorized to enter.
- Also i need not required to travel to canada to submit my passport in the usa (but they dint even called me for an interview otherwise i would hv explained them that i need to courier my passport from canada to NY)
but now there's no point applying for tourist visa again

* USA visa - i am getting an appointment for 26th oct, my deadline is 9th nov. i cant take chance here, I am in mid 20, single, & female, chances of rejection are more, If i dont get through then i wont have time for courier too

* Courier - DHL, UPS, BLUEDART told me NO, only FedEx said yes, 99% my bet is on FedEx india. In canada my friend told me UPS said yes to courier back my PP. I hope its legal way????

* Family/friends - My Canadian lawyer spoke to CIC in Canada they said that the law states that non-owners cannot carry passports that are not theirs, so I cannot send passport with friends or family. & most of them will be scared to take PP

So i feel like best option is FedEx

My question here is : Is it a good idea to go for FedEx ?

Oh Yes I will keep u guys updated
ThanQ All :)

smiley111

Oct 14, 2009
@ BELIZE

'Easy way get duabi visa go duabi and send it from there and wait until you get it back. it will work'

WHAT IS DUABI ?
some country???
If yes, then is it legal to send PP from duabi??
explain me briefly please :)

ThanQ

Canimmig

Sep 18, 2009
I am in the same situation too...

But If you see last page on the Indian PP, it says that the PP should be in the custody of holder or with the person authorized by the holder. So I think you can send your PP with any of your friend or Family with authorization letter...
Its just my understanding...let me know if I am wrong.

smiley111

Oct 14, 2009
May be you are right, Most people they believe sending PP with family rather thn courier & it is legal with authorised letter & most person should be trustworthy too. chances of identity theft is more in USA/Canada. so beware!!!

MY prob here is i don't know who would be flying soon to Canada & i cant afford to waste my time here, so courier is best deal right now

Also my lawyer has fwd an email to Delhi, Program Manager (delhi high commision)
they might renew my refusal tourist visa to canada, will wait couple of more days

Lets see
Cross My Fingers :)

don_c

Nov 20, 2008
Re: which is safest way to send Passport to the Canadian Consulate in NY from In

Hi, pls forgive my ignorance. Is it allowed for CIC India to take the PP's and courier them to US? If yes, you could discuss with them, pay for courier and they send on your behalf. Not sure how friendly they can be but diplomatic immunity will cover their posts.
Otherwise, above as per DUBAI may be helpful but risky.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Re: which is safest way to send Passport to the Canadian Consulate in NY from In

Hi

don_c said:
Hi, pls forgive my ignorance. Is it allowed for CIC India to take the PP's and courier them to US? If yes, you could discuss with them, pay for courier and they send on your behalf. Not sure how friendly they can be but diplomatic immunity will cover their posts.
Otherwise, above as per DUBAI may be helpful but risky.
1. No CHC ND will not courier your passports.
2. As to the other poster about going to Dubai, Buffalo will not mail passports outside their processing area.

PMM

mpp2009

Sep 1, 2009
I am not sure if this is a viable option.........

1) Send the PP by Fedex to NY (you said Fedex India said yes to this).
2) Along with the PP draft a letter asking NY consulate to mail the PP after stamping to your friend in Canada.
3) Your friend in Canada then mails the PP to you in India. (not sure if incoming PP mail is ok with India)

BTW smiley, could you please let us know what happens with your US visa appointment on 26th. I am in a slightly similar situation & I may have to come to Mumbai soon for a US visa application.