3 feb
Med's Request
21 may
Med's Done....
03 june again and again done and finally sent on 29th december
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21 may sent on 04 june again sent on 30th december 2010(recalled for making Son's Passport)
VISA ISSUED...
24 january 2011
LANDED..........
planning in april
abelkwh said:
Sandhujatt

If u had been a mechanical engineer and working as a lecturer and u would like to do the same in Canada then u will need to be certified as a Professional Engineer (P Eng) in Canada first to be considered as a qualified engineer and would have to be practising as an engineer in Canada for some period of time before u are considered as an engineer. Then in this case, u would need to be enrol in a college or a university to get some form of qualification or alternatively u would have to get a letter from the professional engineering board of yr home country and certify that u have been a professional engineer then when u land in canada, u would have to show the engineering board in canada and u may have to take some qualifying exams to be certified as a P Eng. U would need to enquire with the professional board of engineers in Canada or the province u want to practise.

Next, to be a engineering lecturer, u would need to do the above to be qualified as an engineer first then u can be considered qualified to teach in the engineering field. Then in this case, if u would like to enrol in some programs then u can try colleges or Polytechnics for Diploma programs or Universities for Degree programs. Search the net for the colleges / polytechnics or unis that u want to stay in that respective province.

As for your wife, she would need to have her degrees accreditated by the canadian boards in her field then after that, apply to colleges or schools or unis for the teaching positions that she wants. But bear in mind, her credentials may not be recognised in Canada and hence she may have to do the same as u.

Thanks Brother

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
AH said:
Hi,

I recently got my PR and planning to move to Canada soon...Could you help me following questions:

1. How difficult it is to find a job for QA Manager in Toronto.

2. What are the other cities in Canada do you recommend for IT jobs.

3. Is it advisable to search for the job first and then come to Canada or is it okay to come there and search for it?

4. Is it advisable to come with the kids ?

Thanks for your help in advance !
1. How difficult it is to find a job for QA Manager in Toronto.
-U should be prepared for at least 1yr to land a Managerial Position here. Most Canadian employers would seek some sort of local experience before shelling out a managerial task to a newcomer.

2. What are the other cities in Canada do you recommend for IT jobs.
-IT jobs r available in every city. All major cities would stand similar to such job searches. It's a wise decision to first land@cities like Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa etc. Take-up some sort of vocation that starts paying your daily bills & then move to any city where the 2nd or 3rd placement takes u.

3. Is it advisable to search for the job first and then come to Canada or is it okay to come there and search for it?
-Fetching a Canadian job from overseas is a long shot. Most employers here do not pay heed to a call by an outsider to seek a position in their org.

4. Is it advisable to come with the kids ?
-Yes. One 100%. Having one's family around makes a lot of difference in the settlement process. U definitely draw an emotional strength when your near & dear ones r around. Said that, a wise thing to do is to land alone first, organize the housing, job, admin arrangements etc. & then fetch your family. Say in 3 month's time. Nonetheless, u can land as a family unit, all at once too -for that ensuring a month's Short-Stay Accom, prearranged, is a must.

Good luck!
Qorax

mailvdutt

Dec 29, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-sep-2009
Doc's Request.
20-nov-2009
File Transfer...
25-Nov-2009
Med's Request
06-Apr-2010
Med's Done....
13-Apr-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-Apr-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-May-2010
LANDED..........
28-jul-2010
from My experience IT market in Vancouver
is small . I would advice IT professional to
land in Toronto

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
pamazana said:
hello qorax,Can you please have some opinion. i would like to ask where is the best place to settle if my husband is Mining Engineer and I am a Practical Nurse here in the Philippines. We are so confused. we have 2 children. We want to give them the best life we can give.My husband have a brother, uncle and auntie in toronto and I do have a first cousin in vancouver and edmonton. Thank you for your time.
One, as I keep repeating here, both your occupations r highly regulated fields here. It'd require a Canadian qualification to enter into this activity. It's not difficult though, can be done... A local Certification & a License to practice holds the key. Many pursue that angle for sure. In the meantime, a starter or tertiary job must be taken, uhh to pay the bills!

Two, having some sort of familial fall-back, in the initial days, is very much a desired strategy. Thus, your folks@Toronto, Vancouver or Edmonton can offer u the much needed moral & emotional support. Landing@one of these places should be a wise move.

All the very best!
Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mailvdutt said:
from My experience IT market in Vancouver
is small . I would advice IT professional to
land in Toronto
One 100% true. In fact Vancouver as a 1st Landing city should always be best avoided, unless one has his/her relatives/friends there. The settlement & living costs of this city could blow your socks away!

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Dear Qorax

Could you shed some light on which is the Canadian city at the moment where real estate has some grounds and is suitable for Architect/Construction Engineers to move into?

Thanks much & regards
Real Estate is an ongoing activity in all provinces & cities. Any & every place stands equally suitable for such jobs. However one must note that their HOs r usually located in big cities, not in the townships where a project might be under process.

However, one also must note that a newcomer might not be able to land a job immediately as an Architect/Civil Engineer, as it's a highly regulated field here... & requires a Canadian qualification. Ditto for Doctors, IT, Dentists, Other Engineers, Accountants etc.

The key to success is to take-up any Starter Job asap, which would start paying your bills & the landing funds stand maintained. Thereby, look for upgrading your qualifications, licensure (if needed, mostly it'd be) & then search for a job in your chosen field of work. And as u get one, shed any inhibitions, & move to any city where that job takes u.

Qorax

pamazana

Star Member
Jun 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-02-2010
Doc's Request.
17-03-2010
File Transfer...
23-03-2010
Med's Request
17-07-2010
Med's Done....
30-07-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
23-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
APPROVED: 13-09-2010 / RECEIVED: 29-09-2010
LANDED..........
25-10-10 in toronto
Thank you Qorax.And
You are doing great, helping others. two thumbs up!

sandhujatt

Star Member
Apr 16, 2010
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
26 jan 2010
Nomination.....
na
AOR Received.
documents recieved by ND Office 23 March
IELTS Request
submitted initialy
File Transfer...
3 feb
Med's Request
21 may
Med's Done....
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
21 may sent on 04 june again sent on 30th december 2010(recalled for making Son's Passport)
VISA ISSUED...
24 january 2011
LANDED..........
planning in april
sandhujatt said:
i am a mechanical engineer working as lecturer in engineering college since last four years which city shall i land?i would like to be enrolled in some course related to my profession can anybody suggest something related to this.

My wife is Msc Chemistry and B.Ed what is the scope of her geting a teaching job in canada?
Please reply Seniors with your valuable suggestions

Dear qorax can you please help me on the above questions of me

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sandhujatt said:
Dear qorax can you please help me on the above questions of me
Both of u would require to do some bridging courses in Canada to be acceptable in your occupation. U'd need a licensing as well. Plz read my thread on Engineers. Besides, ablkwh has given u a good insight too. City wise, any & every city/province would suit u fine.

Qorax

sandhujatt

Star Member
Apr 16, 2010
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
26 jan 2010
Nomination.....
na
AOR Received.
documents recieved by ND Office 23 March
IELTS Request
submitted initialy
File Transfer...
3 feb
Med's Request
21 may
Med's Done....
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
24 january 2011
LANDED..........
planning in april
qorax said:
Both of u would require to do some bridging courses in Canada to be acceptable in your occupation. U'd need a licensing as well. Plz read my thread on Engineers. Besides, ablkwh has given u a good insight too. City wise, any & every city/province would suit u fine.

Qorax
Thanks a lot sir,so do you suggest that vancouver and toronto will be almost equivelent destinations for us?Please suggest as this question is realy worrying me?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
sandhujatt said:
Thanks a lot sir,so do you suggest that vancouver and toronto will be almost equivelent destinations for us?Please suggest as this question is realy worrying me?
Not intended to dishearten u, but if u do not have anyone@Vancouver, that city is not for initial days of a newcomer. Toronto would suit u better. Read my above posts.

Qorax

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
pamazana said:
hello qorax,Can you please have some opinion. i would like to ask where is the best place to settle if my husband is Mining Engineer and I am a Practical Nurse here in the Philippines. We are so confused. we have 2 children. We want to give them the best life we can give.My husband have a brother, uncle and auntie in toronto and I do have a first cousin in vancouver and edmonton. Thank you for your time.
Pam

If yr husband is a mining engineer, first of all, as Q mentioned, engineering is a very regulated field, he would need to be certified as a P Eng or a P Geologist to be qualified to practise mining engineering. He can do that in the polytechnics or unis or colleges or if he does not wish to then he can only practise provided his qualification is recognised and has been certified to be practisable in canada, hence he still needs to be certified and qualify as an engineer then he can find a job in the mining engineering field. The province with more of such jobs would be in Saskastchewan, Alberta and perhaps northen or eastern BC area and of course Newfoundland too. But bear in mind, he needs to be certified to be a qualified engineer to be able to practise mining.

As for yrself, as a nurse, u would also need to be certified as a nurse either as a RN or a RLN to practise nursing in canada. As for yr job, nurses are highly demanded in every province, so u can just follow yr husband when he finds a job but for sure, both of u will need to be certified and re-trained in either college or poly or uni to be recognised and certified. So u need to get ready a sum of money for such re-training.

Rene_8000

Apr 2, 2010
Davao City Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 26, 2010
Doc's Request.
April 24, 2010
AOR Received.
July 14, 2010 2nd aor and received by vo ecas status
IELTS Request
done in CIO application
File Transfer...
July 5, 2010
Med's Request
Sept. 20, 2010
Med's Done....
Sept. 24, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
November 24, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Sept. 24, 2010 as stated on the PPR/ may 31, 2011
LANDED..........
June 19, 2011
qorax said:
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.
Hi I have a question. We are newcomers hopefully arriving on November or December 2010. In my application I sttred there that I will land in Burnaby British Columbia, is it ok if we change it to Toronto? Do I have to inform the embassy? or we can just land to Toronto directly instead of Burnaby? We need to find jobs asap when were there na.

Irmaar

Jun 4, 2010
Hello Everybody,

Wanted to share my landing experience, I Landed with my wife and 3 childrens at Toronto, Person International Airport Canada on 20th August 2010 by Britishairways BA0099 from Saudi Arabia.
I went to Immigration counter and inform him that I am here to complete my landing procudere. Officer asked if we have completed the forms which was given in the plane. We have given the completed forms and passport to the officer. He marked 7 on the forms and return back the forms and passport. I was Greeted and directed to go to the New Immigrant welcome counter. When we reached New Immigrant counter, officer saw the forms and suggested us to wait. Then another officer came from the cabin and invited us to come with landing papers. He saw the landing papers and our passport and verified the names on both the documents. He entered all the information in his computer and told us to sign on the landing papers. Then he stamped arrival date on our passports and on landing papers and return back our passports with visa cancelled and a copy of landing papers. He suggested to keep landing papers safe until we get our citizenship. Then we moved to Welcome Canada counter, there were two counter and we went to both counters, where I was given some pamphlets and books, instructions and a carry bag. Then we proceed to baggage area where porter service guys ask if we need any help (At first we thought they are also officers). I took two trolley by paying 2+2 dollars by my credit card. We took our luggage and proceed to Customs counter (for new immigrants, custom counter is in different area). once reached at Customs, Custom officer greated us and asked about funds we are carrying. We inform that we are having cash and drafts which is exceeding 10,000 dollars. He brought a form and wrote all the details about the draft and cash and requested to sign on that form. When we showed the Gold / jeweler's pictures and goods to follow list. Officer suggest us whenever he are leaving outside Canada, then get the gold pictures sign before leaving, so that while entering Canada again, there will be no customs on that gold items. He printed goods to follow form and asked us when we are getting the list items. We inform it may be in 6-9 months, then he has given the forms and advice us to keep safe until we get listed items. Then we proceed to to exit gate.

Many Thanks to Qorax and all senior members of this form for their posting their reviews. It helped a lot.

May god bless you all.

Many Thanks,

Irmaar.

Reactions: JJ April Aor