My province of choice is Alberta.
Is it hard to find a job there?

haral

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
congrats. its hard to find a job everywhere in Canada. luckily you are a nurse which is in demand profession but do your research to be prepared for the licensing here.

Rpchugh

Star Member
Jul 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-7-2014
Nomination.....
21-11-2014
IELTS Request
Done
File Transfer...
19-1-2015
Hello All,

What is the best place for someone with animation background? I heard that Canada is hub for Animation. But, got mix responses for places. Any advices or opinions???

hermione17

Oct 31, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-May-2014
AOR Received.
22-Sep-2014
Med's Request
4-Oct-2014
Med's Done....
28-Oct-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-Nov-2014
VISA ISSUED...
4-Feb-2015
LANDED..........
20-Aug-2015!! Thanks God!
haral said:
congrats. its hard to find a job everywhere in Canada. luckily you are a nurse which is in demand profession but do your research to be prepared for the licensing here.
yeah it's quite a rigorous process.
Thanks! :)

sainim27

Star Member
Nov 20, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO, shifted to CVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
Nomination.....
14-02-2015 (PER)
AOR Received.
18-03-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
22-05-2015
Med's Done....
28-05-2015
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
15-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-07-2015
LANDED..........
15-09-2015
qorax said:
WHICH CITY TO LAND? -for FSW without AEO & friends/relatives

My opinion: TORONTO.
-It has a bigger job basket, for any occupation. Thus, the share is bigger -so the opportunities are larger.
-Weather wise, it is not that bad. Perfectly manageable even in winters or summers.
-Cost of living wise, quite Ok too -quite compititive vis-a-vis the other deciding factors.
-The higest minority populace. Ppl are extremely tolerant to race, color, creed, faith etc.
-Land there first, take a 'survival job', which'll be easier here & move to any city after getting the choice job.
-Important: It's not the profession of a newcomer, but the initial survival that'd be the decider for a city.

VANCOUVER:
Very aptly said by others before on this forum. It's the best city weather wise & has a charmed beauty. Quite nice minority populace, yes -Indians rock here. But, better avoided.
-No or minimal jobs today for any field. (note: the winter olympics thing is temp)
-The costliest city to settle down.
-Housing costs are sky rocketting.
-Not at all a good choice for a newcomer, w/out AOE or friends/relatives support.
-What's the point of all that beauty, if u do not have money in ur pocket?

CALGARY-EDMONTON CORRIDOR:
Very nicely coming-up. Weather is cold, but adjustable [Edmonton needs adaptation though]. Has the 'rockies' to enhance its beauty. A perfect alternative to Vancouver. But:
-Newcomers should take it as a 2nd choice to Toronto. Due to the factors I said under Toronto.
-Damn good for establishing a business. (no provincial tax)
-Essentially a befitting place for Oil & Gas sector, which also makes other jobs available in their HOs.
-But remember again: For newcomer jobs, take Toronto as POE.

There is nothing wrong in other Canadian cities. But this post is meant for newcomers, looking for instant jobs, not for business; and for those who do not have an AOE or freinds/relatives to initially assist. Else, any other city has its own merits/demerits.

Ps: I have visited all the above cities. But my views are based on limited info. The actual residents, who are on this forum, might have a better opinion.
good info

poison

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
July 2010
I will start my post by saying "No offenses, Qorax". I am just expressing my views and experience after living in Canada for (almost) 5 years and having lived, visited, and worked in all 3 major job hubs listed above.

Toronto: This is where I live at the moment. Superb city, vibrant, dynamic, fast ~ I am running out of adjectives. This is the biggest with most jobs and most competitors at the same time. It is significantly challenging to get a job break in the field that you belong, reason being tough competition from tons of immigrants like us. I was lucky enough that my employer supported me in moving from Vancouver to Toronto and I was saved from job hunting. Cost of living depends upon your lifestyle but in my experience, it is surely higher than the other two. Fuel, milk, and property purchase are less expensive than Vancouver, apart from that everything is expensive in Toronto. Fuel is cheaper but at the same time car insurance is high, so if you make an annual calculation it either breaks-even or go high. On the positive side, due to Toronto being the first choice to land for most of the immigrants, you will find nice and helpful communities for each ethnicity/race/culture/religion.

Calgary/Edmonton: This is where I worked (commuted every week for 1.5 years). With the slide in oil boom, there is a lot of uncertainty hovering on existing jobs. Needless to say that it significantly impacts the new job postings. Smaller cities, friendlier, more family time, and low cost of living are on the plus side. Weather is definitely on the minus side. Edmonton boasts more government jobs (being provincial capital) and Calgary has more private sector jobs.

Vancouver: This is where I lived for 4 years and my POE to Canada. Green, beautiful, and 'live your life' are few adjectives that click my mind. Usually it is marketed as one of the most diverse cities in the world, but I disagree with that. There are pre-dominantly only three diversities that rule Vancouver. Regarding jobs, very less from industry perspective except tourism and timber. More service class and stable; not as many jobs as Toronto but less competition as well. Cost of buying a property can be super high but at the same time rentals are very less expensive. For most immigrants like me, we look at rent expenditure first. Weather wise it is not as cold as rest of Canada but to live in Vancouver, you will have to love 'rain'. Overall, a fantastic city if you get a descent job. I was lucky enough to get a job that I 'wanted' and I am not denying the fact that Vancouver is the city which gave me whatever I have today in Canada. Again, it does not necessarily mean that the same can be true to others.

On the whole, I would recommend you do your homework about the job/business prospects in your own field in each of the cities. Do not look at the size of the city or natural beauty or even your community preferences. None of these things are going to come to pay your bills and put the food on the table.

All the best.

maspogi21

Nov 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2014
Doc's Request.
CC: 18-12-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 12-01-2015
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Sent
File Transfer...
25-02-2015
Med's Request
soon
Med's Done....
soon
Interview........
soon
Passport Req..
soon
VISA ISSUED...
soon
LANDED..........
soon
poison said:
I will start my post by saying "No offenses, Qorax". I am just expressing my views and experience after living in Canada for (almost) 5 years and having lived, visited, and worked in all 3 major job hubs listed above.

Toronto: This is where I live at the moment. Superb city, vibrant, dynamic, fast ~ I am running out of adjectives. This is the biggest with most jobs and most competitors at the same time. It is significantly challenging to get a job break in the field that you belong, reason being tough competition from tons of immigrants like us. I was lucky enough that my employer supported me in moving from Vancouver to Toronto and I was saved from job hunting. Cost of living depends upon your lifestyle but in my experience, it is surely higher than the other two. Fuel, milk, and property purchase are less expensive than Vancouver, apart from that everything is expensive in Toronto. Fuel is cheaper but at the same time car insurance is high, so if you make an annual calculation it either breaks-even or go high. On the positive side, due to Toronto being the first choice to land for most of the immigrants, you will find nice and helpful communities for each ethnicity/race/culture/religion.

Calgary/Edmonton: This is where I worked (commuted every week for 1.5 years). With the slide in oil boom, there is a lot of uncertainty hovering on existing jobs. Needless to say that it significantly impacts the new job postings. Smaller cities, friendlier, more family time, and low cost of living are on the plus side. Weather is definitely on the minus side. Edmonton boasts more government jobs (being provincial capital) and Calgary has more private sector jobs.

Vancouver: This is where I lived for 4 years and my POE to Canada. Green, beautiful, and 'live your life' are few adjectives that click my mind. Usually it is marketed as one of the most diverse cities in the world, but I disagree with that. There are pre-dominantly only three diversities that rule Vancouver. Regarding jobs, very less from industry perspective except tourism and timber. More service class and stable; not as many jobs as Toronto but less competition as well. Cost of buying a property can be super high but at the same time rentals are very less expensive. For most immigrants like me, we look at rent expenditure first. Weather wise it is not as cold as rest of Canada but to live in Vancouver, you will have to love 'rain'. Overall, a fantastic city if you get a descent job. I was lucky enough to get a job that I 'wanted' and I am not denying the fact that Vancouver is the city which gave me whatever I have today in Canada. Again, it does not necessarily mean that the same can be true to others.

On the whole, I would recommend you do your homework about the job/business prospects in your own field in each of the cities. Do not look at the size of the city or natural beauty or even your community preferences. None of these things are going to come to pay your bills and put the food on the table.

All the best.
Hi poison read a lot of good infos from here and there, first of all thnks for sharing...secondly, can i request a first hand info from you as uou have lived in ca for quite long time now, where is the best poe for me as an electrical and electronics engineer? Thnks a lot in advance

managersonline

Champion Member
Oct 18, 2014
poison said:

All the best.
Extremely usefull information and thanks for sharing it really helps everyone if someone shares the practical information based on his own experience.

poison

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
July 2010
maspogi21 said:
Hi poison read a lot of good infos from here and there, first of all thnks for sharing...secondly, can i request a first hand info from you as uou have lived in ca for quite long time now, where is the best poe for me as an electrical and electronics engineer? Thnks a lot in advance
I am an IT professional and your fields are different than my research areas and areas of expertise. But just to give you some idea, Electronics engineers often find good jobs in telecom section. Bell and Rogers are headquartered in GTA, Telus in Burnaby (suburb of Metro Vancouver), and Shaw in Calgary. You will find many aerospace and aircraft manufacturing related companies in GTA and Quebec. Regarding Electrical field, I have absolutely no idea but it would be good if you do some research for companies like BC Hydro, Toronto Hydro, etc.

pinoysg2010

Aug 28, 2014
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8 October 2014
Nomination.....
PER: 15 Jan 2015
AOR Received.
18 Feb 2015
Med's Request
10 July 2015
Med's Done....
21 July 2015
Passport Req..
7 September 2015
VISA ISSUED...
23 September 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 2016
poison said:
I am an IT professional and your fields are different than my research areas and areas of expertise. But just to give you some idea, Electronics engineers often find good jobs in telecom section. Bell and Rogers are headquartered in GTA, Telus in Burnaby (suburb of Metro Vancouver), and Shaw in Calgary. You will find many aerospace and aircraft manufacturing related companies in GTA and Quebec. Regarding Electrical field, I have absolutely no idea but it would be good if you do some research for companies like BC Hydro, Toronto Hydro, etc.

I'm a manufacturing electronics engineer, would you have any idea on the best city or province for my field? Thanks!

poison

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
July 2010
Google is my best friend! Do you homework, research or groundwork ~ whatever you want to call it. Lot of people find it hard to settle as an expat (regardless of country) due to lack of homework efforts that needs to be executed before migrating to a new nation.

asalehin

Star Member
Jan 1, 2015
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-10-2014
Doc's Request.
DD encashed 23 Dec 2014
Nomination.....
21-01-2015
AOR Received.
04-03-2015
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
God knows only
Med's Request
God knows only
Med's Done....
God knows only
Interview........
God knows only
Passport Req..
God knows only
VISA ISSUED...
God knows only
LANDED..........
God knows only
Friends,

If an immigrant starts his MS in Materials Engineering after going there and does part time job, can he survive with family of 4 members. My another question is how about living at Halifax, Nova Scotia? Plz share if u have any idea.

Sambisa Valley

Star Member
Nov 18, 2014
Hello seniors

Can anybody please provide information about Nova Scotia.
I can hardly get information and relevant hints for newcomers.

Do we have anyone who live in NS on the forum.
The best place to stay in NS
How's accommodation and cost of living
Useful employment or immigration agencies

Thanks to all

mea.hassi

Star Member
Feb 16, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16th may 2014
AOR Received.
12 sep 2014
Med's Request
13 dec 2014
Med's Done....
23 dec 2014
Passport Req..
2nd feb 2015
VISA ISSUED...
waiting for passports
poison said:

All the best.
thx for info..kindly tell me tht is it possible to give job interviews before landing..am in finance...financial analyst bt let c... whre wud i land..any suggestions...any city in ontario if u can suggest for me.am accompanying wd my two minor kids and my hubby...

poison

Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
April 2010
LANDED..........
July 2010
@ mea.hassi

Possibilities to get an interview call before landing depends on your skills, application, and efforts. I don't think anyone can provide a definitive answer to this question! Without the knowledge of local market and employers, when you start applying it is very likely that you will apply to some head hunters (recruiters or recruitment agencies), they may give you a call to discuss your background.