+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which 5-year period?

potato_masher

Jan 4, 2023
Hi,

I have a question regarding time spent outside Canada and the residency obligation. I’m trying to figure out which 5-year period applies in my case.

A. I became a PR on Feb 2020 and left the country the same month. (Feb 2020 - Feb 2025)
B. My PR card expires on June 2025. (June 2020 - June 2025)

I intend to move to Canada this April and apply for citizenship on April 2026. My PR card will have expired by then.

From what I understand, if the date on which I became a PR (A) is the beginning of the 5-year period, I’ll not be eligible for PR card renewal. But I can still fulfil the requirement if the date from B is the end of the 5-year period.

Will I run into issues?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I have a question regarding time spent outside Canada and the residency obligation. I’m trying to figure out which 5-year period applies in my case.

A. I became a PR on Feb 2020 and left the country the same month. (Feb 2020 - Feb 2025)
B. My PR card expires on June 2025. (June 2020 - June 2025)

I intend to move to Canada this April and apply for citizenship on April 2026. My PR card will have expired by then.

From what I understand, if the date on which I became a PR (A) is the beginning of the 5-year period, I’ll not be eligible for PR card renewal. But I can still fulfil the requirement if the date from B is the end of the 5-year period.

Will I run into issues?
A

You will be eligible for renew your PR card in April 2025 once you meet the residency obligation of 730 days.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I intend to move to Canada this April
The relevant five year period is either the first five years from date of landing, OR looking back five years from any date you are examined (eg crossing a border, applying to renew).

If you arrive in april, you will be out of compliance (because more than three years out of Canada) and potentially could be reported for it. Or they might be lenient and wave you through or give just a warning.

After that, if let in with no issues, you can wait two years until compliant and then apply to renew.

Note though - it considerably reduces your flexibility in terms of travel (raises risk of having issues on returning). If you can return earlier and esp before February, fewer risks.