+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which 2 ID pieces should I show during my oath ceremony?

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
I very recently moved from BC to Alberta and haven't had time yet to obtain new (Albertan) photo ID. My oath ceremony will be in 2 weeks and I'm not sure what ID I should show to the official(s). Currently I have:
  • Foreign Passport
  • PR Card (email specifically states PR Card can only be used together with a Canadian federal/provincial ID)
  • Alberta Health Card (this is literally just a piece of paper and has no photo/signature etc. - not sure if it's valid ID)
  • BC Health Card (I don't live in BC anymore and it may not be considered valid anyway because I have an Alberta Health Card now)
I was planning to apply for an Alberta ID Card tomorrow, but I likely won't receive it prior to the oath ceremony. I don't drive so I have no Driver License.

I will make sure to have all 4 ID documents with me during the ceremony, but I rather avoid the hassle if I can.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
I very recently moved from BC to Alberta and haven't had time yet to obtain new (Albertan) photo ID. My oath ceremony will be in 2 weeks and I'm not sure what ID I should show to the official(s). Currently I have:
  • Foreign Passport
  • PR Card (email specifically states PR Card can only be used together with a Canadian federal/provincial ID)
  • Alberta Health Card (this is literally just a piece of paper and has no photo/signature etc. - not sure if it's valid ID)
  • BC Health Card (I don't live in BC anymore and it may not be considered valid anyway because I have an Alberta Health Card now)
I was planning to apply for an Alberta ID Card tomorrow, but I likely won't receive it prior to the oath ceremony. I don't drive so I have no Driver License.

I will make sure to have all 4 ID documents with me during the ceremony, but I rather avoid the hassle if I can.
Just have them to hand and you won't have any issues....

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Just because you moved out, it doesnt mean that its invalid for identification purpose. Using the services are to be omitted but you can certainly use it for ID purposes.

All they(cic officers) need is that they are insistent(some are) on the local ID. They will first ask for pr card. Then they will ask for local ID. Just show the BC health card. If they ask tell that i have health card which is printed on paper which you can show if they want. Surely they wont ask after the BC card shown.

Using the other province health card for health services are unethical but certainly its not a problem for showing it as ID card for oath. I was not living in Ontario but still showed the ON health card as a identification purposes for the oath. Officer from alberta was asking what card is that and i was wondering why but then later i heard that they dont get to receive health card. I told that this is the health card from ON. (My oath was administered by AB because my address on file is Edmonton). I havent faced any issue because officers are just looking for local id for the most part(even though they are supposed to ask for some secondary id which can be passport too).

Reactions: Vitesze

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Just because you moved out, it doesnt mean that its invalid for identification purpose. Using the services are to be omitted but you can certainly use it for ID purposes.

All they(cic officers) need is that they are insistent(some are) on the local ID. They will first ask for pr card. Then they will ask for local ID. Just show the BC health card. If they ask tell that i have health card which is printed on paper which you can show if they want. Surely they wont ask after the BC card shown.

Using the other province health card for health services are unethical but certainly its not a problem for showing it as ID card for oath. I was not living in Ontario but still showed the ON health card as a identification purposes for the oath. Officer from alberta was asking what card is that and i was wondering why but then later i heard that they dont get to receive health card. I told that this is the health card from ON. (My oath was administered by AB because my address on file is Edmonton). I havent faced any issue because officers are just looking for local id for the most part(even though they are supposed to ask for some secondary id which can be passport too).
Thanks, this post has eased my worries!

I'm also in Edmonton (moved from Vancouver), although my email mentions PST timezone so I'm assuming they didn't transfer my file to Edmonton. I'm guessing it doesn't really matter in the end.