+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where I should call home in Canada

Azmen

Sep 17, 2018
Hey all
After doing a lot of research, I am still hesitant where I should call home in Canada.
As a new immigrant under the federal skills emigration scheme, I can relocate to any place in Canada. I was first planning to land in Ontario but after doing some research, it seems extremely expensive. Contacting friends and family in the province. None recommended it to me so I removed it from my list. Also, for similar reasons I removed BC.
A lot of people online consider Alberta or Quebec. I can’t make the landing in Quebec as I didn’t get my immigration through them.

However, for Quebec, I understand that I legally can relocate to it after one or two years of staying in another province (and not less to make sure of non-misrepresentation). But I can only be a resident of the province after staying a year. Quebec seems nice to me because I like the socially oriented government policies the relaxed way of living, and what it seems a higher quality of life. But not sure if French and immense administration can be a serious issue for me? Also, if getting the citizenship later from Quebec might be even a little be harder? I am also considering getting back to university, so is it worth it waiting one year in the province to get the residence university fees? Or maybe I should go for any other university if cost is not that different?

Alberta seems nice in terms of cost-of-living, dry Winters, and job opportunities. However, my concern is the instability of the job market, because of its huge dependency on oil and gas. Also, the conservative government in Alberta and the conservative policies seems to be concerning.

What about Saskatchewan? Didn’t find much information, but from what I got, it is like Alberta in terms of cost of living, but with a more leftist government. Is this accurate? Not sure about the quality of life and job opportunities.

Do you recommend Halifax? Or others?

In short ideally, I would prefer somewhere that has a lot of emphasis on the high quality of life (in term of relaxed lifestyle, easy and affordable access to education and health care along with child care, and cost of living), good job opportunities, and stable life.

I don’t care much for bigger cities. I do prefer small areas especially since I am working remotely. It doesn’t matter where to live, but my remote work don’t do good and I might need to catch some work at any point. However, my wife want to continue her working. Also, I might have kids soon, so cost of living and childcare is important.

Lastly, is landing in a province other than the one mentioned in the CoPR may be considered misrepresentation after 3yrs?

Sorry for the long post 

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey all
After doing a lot of research, I am still hesitant where I should call home in Canada.
As a new immigrant under the federal skills emigration scheme, I can relocate to any place in Canada. I was first planning to land in Ontario but after doing some research, it seems extremely expensive. Contacting friends and family in the province. None recommended it to me so I removed it from my list. Also, for similar reasons I removed BC.
A lot of people online consider Alberta or Quebec. I can’t make the landing in Quebec as I didn’t get my immigration through them.

However, for Quebec, I understand that I legally can relocate to it after one or two years of staying in another province (and not less to make sure of non-misrepresentation). But I can only be a resident of the province after staying a year. Quebec seems nice to me because I like the socially oriented government policies the relaxed way of living, and what it seems a higher quality of life. But not sure if French and immense administration can be a serious issue for me? Also, if getting the citizenship later from Quebec might be even a little be harder? I am also considering getting back to university, so is it worth it waiting one year in the province to get the residence university fees? Or maybe I should go for any other university if cost is not that different?

Alberta seems nice in terms of cost-of-living, dry Winters, and job opportunities. However, my concern is the instability of the job market, because of its huge dependency on oil and gas. Also, the conservative government in Alberta and the conservative policies seems to be concerning.

What about Saskatchewan? Didn’t find much information, but from what I got, it is like Alberta in terms of cost of living, but with a more leftist government. Is this accurate? Not sure about the quality of life and job opportunities.

In short ideally, I would prefer somewhere that has a lot of emphasis on the high quality of life (in term of relaxed lifestyle, easy and affordable access to education and health care along with child care, and cost of living), good job opportunities, and stable life.

I don’t care much for bigger cities. I do prefer small areas especially since I am working remotely. It doesn’t matter where to live, but my remote work don’t do good and I might need to catch some work at any point. However, my wife want to continue her working. Also, I might have kids soon, so cost of living and childcare is important.

Lastly, is landing in a province other than the one mentioned in the CoPR may be considered misrepresentation after 3yrs?

If you are a fan of the federal liberals, then you can consider living in St. Johns, Newfoundland!

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hey all

All of the prairie provinces are "dry" in the winter, but dry doesn't mean warm or no snow, the snow is dry because it can be quite cold there. Sounds like you have done your research, ON and BC are the more expensive places in the country. Any of the Atlantic provinces are cheaper in almost all respects and the people are kind and welcome all people with open arms. You should do a bit more research in those areas. I've lived in most of them and have always enjoyed it. Comes down to your choice, ask people living in any given province and they will tell you theirs is the best place to live.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay