Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
Hi there,

I have been searching for ages, and can't find the answer!

I noticed in most cases renewals of Permanent Residency Cards are mailed to your address. But in what circumstances does CIC get you to pick it up in person?

I ask this (even though it's a long way off) in the instance that I may be inside Canada for the application to be sent, but in the event that the application gets delayed, and I am not able to stay for the entire processing time. I would intend to have it sent to my mother-in-laws house who can then send it to me, but am worried this isn't a hard and fast process.

I have just heard of cases where others have applied inside Canada, and had to leave, then weren't able to pick up their PR card within the specified timeframe. If you are from a VISA exempt country like Australia, is it as simple as reapplying after being able to return to Canada even though the PR card has expired, or is it more complicated?

Thanks in advance!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are asked to pick up the PR card and you are unable to, you should let CIC know and ask to reschedule your pick up appointment. I believe they keep your PR card at the local office for about 6 months and if you have not been able to pick it up by then, they will send it back to CIC headquarters and destroy it and you will have to apply for another.

If you are visa exempt, you can fly to Canada on the strength of your visa exempt passport. When you arrive at immigration, you show your expired PR card or might not yet be expired depending on when you applied to renew. They will let you enter and you can pick up your card.

For somebody who is not visa exempt, it is not that simple. They would not be able to fly without a visa or a valid PR card so if their card had expired, they would have to apply for a travel document or if they have a US visa, they could go to the US, rent a car and drive to Canada.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
Fantastic news, thanks Leon :) just want to make sure I am prepared for any scenario.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bagelbagel81 said:
Hi there,

I have been searching for ages, and can't find the answer!

I noticed in most cases renewals of Permanent Residency Cards are mailed to your address. But in what circumstances does CIC get you to pick it up in person?

I ask this (even though it's a long way off) in the instance that I may be inside Canada for the application to be sent, but in the event that the application gets delayed, and I am not able to stay for the entire processing time. I would intend to have it sent to my mother-in-laws house who can then send it to me, but am worried this isn't a hard and fast process.

I have just heard of cases where others have applied inside Canada, and had to leave, then weren't able to pick up their PR card within the specified timeframe. If you are from a VISA exempt country like Australia, is it as simple as reapplying after being able to return to Canada even though the PR card has expired, or is it more complicated?

Thanks in advance!
IIRC from an Operational Bulletin CIC require around 10% of applicants to collect their cards from the local office. There is a random element to this for program integrity/ quality control as well as suspect residency cases where they need to verify details of your presence in Canada. A trend on the forum is for applicants who apply when abroad and mail their applications to someone in Canada who then forwards to CIC to be required to pick up renewed PR Card at the local office.

Note that at Card Pick up CIC may determine you have not met the Residence Obligation due to your recent absence i.e. you applied at the 730 day mark left Canada soon after card processing delayed then you are required to pick up the card in person....by this time you are in breach of the RO.