+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can i get my seized passport back? landing 2 wks ago as protected person

sunnyjee

Jul 23, 2013
A lot of people think refugee claim is always against a country and using that country's passport justifies that the refugee claim was fraud or false. They jump and leap, oh this person should be removed. The person should be removed from Canada, his PR could be revoked bla bla. This is based on myth and assumption. A person can flee a country if a big group like Taliban in Pakistan or Drug Mafia in Maxico endanger his/her life and Canada has given protection to such persons. It is not necessarily a political asylum Pakistan or Maxico. Canadian immigration though seizes travel documents but never strips you off your nationality or citizenship of that country. Immigration never tells you to surrender you previous nationality in order to get refugee status.

I believe, in order to make sure that the person in need of protection should get protection properly. On their end they do not recommend to go to the country of origin, where there is a danger as per your claim. PR can be revoked only by immigration minister and that happens only in extreme cases. The minister can request the IRB pleading that the person does not need protection and it is still IRB to decide whether or not it is true. A PR refugee might go to his country of origin if the situation has changed but Canada will never recommend to go and is not going to tell what travel document to use. But they will tell do not use our travel document for reasons of responsibility.

If the situation in the country changes that does not mean your PR is revoked, no law says that. The PR has its own eligibility criterion. Being a refugee does not mean you automatically get PR unless you meet the PR criteria. If your PR application is denied that does not mean too that your refugee status is gone. Your PR could be revoked under certain conditions such as serious crime, fraud, threat to public safety or you have gotten it through fraud.

Do they give passport back after seizure, I do not think so. Your passport might have already expired. You should get Travel Document or get a new passport from your embassy if it is possible. As a matter of fact, when you get a confirmation of PR, the person after interview says, now you are free to travel wherever you want. I am not immigration lawyer but this is what their literature say.

Life75

Dec 31, 2019
Please anyone who knows where I can get my ceased passport given I received my Pr. Also how long it takes to get it back.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. why to revive 7 years old thread.
2. what do you need passport for. No, even as a PR you are not suppose to renew or use it to travel anywhere and not risking reavailment. If you want to travel you still need your refugee travel document.
3. but yes it is possible to get it back.

ahmad0707

Star Member
Apr 21, 2019
There is no risk. The country of origin won't even be aware that the person is travelling on their passport; it's not like US immigration officer is going to notify the country that the person has used their passport. And Canada will not take any action against the refugee for doing this. As for the US visa, it is issued on the basis of nationality. A refugee travelling on the Refugee Travel Document is assessed the same as if they were travelling on their own passport.

Any refugee can apply and get the Refugee Travel Document but they don't need it if they have their passport.
Well you are wrong indeed very much wrong. I have seen cessation cases where individuals used their country passports. You can not use your passport or else risk loosing everything you work hard for.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well you are wrong indeed very much wrong. I have seen cessation cases where individuals used their country passports. You can not use your passport or else risk loosing everything you work hard for.
Do you realize that you replied a nearly eight years old post? You could had make it your first post!