+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can an international student arrive in Canada?

coathanger

May 4, 2020
Apologies if this has been definitively answered before, but I cannot find it on search.

Is there any official (as in, linked on IRCC Website) guidance as to when an international student can arrive in Canada?

There is a lot of word of mouth online, some saying 21 days, some saying 4 weeks, some saying 6 weeks. I've even spoken to people who have arrived 3-6 months early and it's been absolutely fine.

Is there a definitive answer anywhere? One linked from an official source like the CIC/IRCC or Canada website?

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
Apologies if this has been definitively answered before, but I cannot find it on search.

Is there any official (as in, linked on IRCC Website) guidance as to when an international student can arrive in Canada?

There is a lot of word of mouth online, some saying 21 days, some saying 4 weeks, some saying 6 weeks. I've even spoken to people who have arrived 3-6 months early and it's been absolutely fine.

Is there a definitive answer anywhere? One linked from an official source like the CIC/IRCC or Canada website?
I searched for that and could find no official statement about it. However, my university recommended that students should arrive no earlier than 4 weeks before the start of their studies, but if you want to arrive early, it has to make sense to the CBSA officer that you have a reason as to why you are traveling early and that your travel is non-discretionary. If you are unsure, you can contact the Canada Border Service Agency via https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html to ask if your travel date is reasonable.

coathanger

May 4, 2020
I searched for that and could find no official statement about it. However, my university recommended that students should arrive no earlier than 4 weeks, but if you want to arrive early, it has to make sense to the CBSA officer with regards to why you are traveling early and that your travel is non-discretionary. If you are unsure, you can contact the Canada Border Service Agency via https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/bis-sif-eng.html to ask if your travel date is reasonable.

I actually already emailed CBSA and did not receive a reply!

My college say 6 weeks is totally fine. My flight just got cancelled so I was hoping to come a little earlier seen as though I've already quit my job.

I just found this online:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I actually already emailed CBSA and did not receive a reply!

My college say 6 weeks is totally fine. My flight just got cancelled so I was hoping to come a little earlier seen as though I've already quit my job.

I just found this online:

That is from a consultant over 8 months ago. Are you from a visa exempt country & can show you can live without working? CBSA can send you back home if coming too early.

fishnchip92

Star Member
May 24, 2021

I am not aware this applies to other countries as well.

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
IRCC says don't arrive too far from your start date. They do not give any indication of how many weeks you can arrive prior, they only say it's at the discretion of the CBSA officer to let you in or not. However, the general consensus pre-COVID was 4 weeks.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I would not believe a consultant’s twitter feed. If you want to take the chance, go for it but you have a good chance of being sent home especially during Covid. Come 4-6 weeks before classes begin to be on the safe side.
Exactly. Even if this consultant was right, this was 8 months ago and things have changed drastically. Whether you are from visa-exempt country or not doesn't matter anymore. You can only travel if you are exempted (e.g student i approved DLI) and you DEFINITELY should not arrive earlier than 6 weeks.

rogerdude1

Apr 24, 2021
The answer to this question can never be "correct" as it is at the discretion of CBSA who do the Primary Inspection Line operations and act as IRCC's extended arm (there is actually an MoU signed between CBSA and IRCC to this effect). This Primary Inspection is like screening who gets in who not and there are laid out directions and SoPs for all things. (google Port of Entry Examinations - there is a handbook for this that BSOs follow).

As it is not written anywhere, then the CBSA officer, whose primary intention is to allow only those people in who they, in their right of mind, "infer" that the persons will comply with the conditions laid down on him as per IRPA. And someone coming in 2 months before study starts is more likely to indulge in , say, unlawful employment or any other actions in contravention to IRPA than someone who is coming 28 days before start of study. But as I said, it's not written anywhere and CBSA has a leeway, if you think you can convince them should any CBSA BSO question you on your purpose of visit, then by all means go for it. I have, on this forum read that some have traveled more than 2 months before study.