+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can an international student arrive in Canada?

Leng_07

Jun 15, 2021
I just called CBSA an hour ago and was told explicitly that new study permit holders can only arrive in Canada 4 weeks before the program start date. I will enter Canada from the US and no exception on this either.

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
I just called CBSA an hour ago and was told explicitly that new study permit holders can only arrive in Canada 4 weeks before the program start date. I will enter Canada from the US and no exception on this either.
I called them to confirm this as well and a CBSA representative told me that 28 days is the maximum time period before the start of your studies and if your travel date exceeds it, then you should contact the IRCC for permission and this still wouldn't even guarantee that the CBSA officer will let you in.

Reactions: rogerdude1

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
For what I've heard and read, it is not recommended to arrive 21 days before your classes start date. Others say it's 28 days. Depends on the agent and how you justify your early arrival.

Laguna55

Jul 19, 2020
I called CBSA yesterday, she checked and stated there is nothing in the rules to state when one should arrive as long as valid POE and DLI has covid readiness plan. So confusing.

eluna

Dec 25, 2021
How about if you have expiring medical exam? Is it valid reason to travel earlier to be able to land in Canada with unexpired medical?

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
I called CBSA yesterday, she checked and stated there is nothing in the rules to state when one should arrive as long as valid POE and DLI has covid readiness plan. So confusing.
I did some heavy research on this topic and it turns out, is not really all that confusing.

Your Student TRV is valid and usable for travel from the moment it was issued to the moment it expire. That is a fact.
Now, because of the current situation of the pandemic, CBSA is simply discouraging any discretionary (Non-essential) travel.
Additionally, outside of the context of the pandemic, students that wants to travel early, normally are people that are impatient to arrive to Canada and are willing to engage in illegal work to support themselves. These are the 2 main reasons why CBSA WILL flag you if you try to travel early.

That being said; You don't break absolutely any rule by trying to travel early but by doing so, CBSA WILL question you about your motives and depending on your answers and the evidence you produce to support your claims, they will determine if you can enter the country or if you have to return later, closer to the date when your classes start. (or if you can enter at all).

So in conclusion, if you arrive 4 months before the date when your classes start and when asked why you are there so early, you answer something like "Because i have free time and want to visit some tourist sites", you will most likely be denied entry because your reason will be deemed Non-essential. And also if you can't prove that you won't be engaging in illegal work to support yourself those extra months outside of the budget you declared while applying to your study permit, you will also be most likely bounced back.

So, What is a Non-discretionary (Essential) reason that can justify arriving early? That is for the CBSA agent to decide.