+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the difference between an OB and an midwife

tyatca

Star Member
Oct 12, 2012
Hi, guys:

I am very new to Waterloo, ON and my wife is being pregnant for 25 weeks. These days we contacted many hospitals and midwives centers. We found several midwives center but no confirmation from a hospital. May I ask what the difference between an OB and an midwife? Can the latter do the regular check and help delivery? Do I need to find a formal doctor first or just an midwife is enough?

Thanks so much for any help!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
tyatca said:
I am very new to Waterloo, ON and my wife is being pregnant for 25 weeks. These days we contacted many hospitals and midwives centers. We found several midwives center but no confirmation from a hospital. May I ask what the difference between an OB and an midwife? Can the latter do the regular check and help delivery? Do I need to find a formal doctor first or just an midwife is enough?
An OB (Obstetrician) is a doctor specializing in child birth. A midwife is a person trained in the process of child birth, but not a doctor. Both have legal requirements they must meet. Unless you expect a complex birth (previous c-section, multiple births - twins, triplets, etc. or other issues) a midwife will be more than capable of handling your requirements. If you turn out to need a doctor, you can then find one or in an emergency situation there will be one on-call at the hospital.

Good luck!