+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What would be my wife status if she accompany me to study in Canada

JOSECESAR88

Jul 13, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm planning to go to Alberta for a 9-months program certificate, which later on would help me a lot when applying for PR through EE, and I want my wife to accompany me during this period.

It is true that I have to include her in the main application for Study Permit, get all the medicals and Police clearance among others documents, however I would like to know what kind of visa will she be granted in order to come with me. Will it be dependent visa? Visitor visa? the college program duration will be 9 months.

Thanks

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm planning to go to Alberta for a 9-months program certificate, which later on would help me a lot when applying for PR through EE, and I want my wife to accompany me during this period.

It is true that I have to include her in the main application for Study Permit, get all the medicals and Police clearance among others documents, however I would like to know what kind of visa will she be granted in order to come with me. Will it be dependent visa? Visitor visa? the college program duration will be 9 months.

Thanks
Your wife would be eligible to receive a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP). Would suggest you to do some research about this on the CIC website, also check out this thread:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sowp-ask-me-anything.528733/

JOSECESAR88

Jul 13, 2018
Your wife would be eligible to receive a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP). Would suggest you to do some research about this on the CIC website, also check out this thread:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/sowp-ask-me-anything.528733/
Ok, in that case she would be authorized to legally work in Canada during the time of my study permit, it means it would act as a Temporally Work Visa? In case the SOWP is denied, she still could come with me as Dependent ?

afrotimy

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Nigeria
Category........
FAM
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2019
You wife would be a visitor in Canada for the same length of stay as yours if you apply together at the same time. She will get a Visitor's Record at the point of entry in addition to her visitor visa. She can apply for an Open Work Permit and SIN card as soon as she enters Canada. She can also give birth. However she also has to be a women of God fearing character and control her friendship because even within your first month in Canada, a 2 yrs old marriage can br

afrotimy

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Nigeria
Category........
FAM
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2019
20 years old marriage can break within a month in Canada.

afrotimy

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Nigeria
Category........
FAM
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-06-2019
20 years old marriage can break within a month in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ok, in that case she would be authorized to legally work in Canada during the time of my study permit, it means it would act as a Temporally Work Visa? In case the SOWP is denied, she still could come with me as Dependent ?
She can apply for a work permit but no guarantee it will be approved. Same goes with a TRV. There is no "dependent visa".

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You wife would be a visitor in Canada for the same length of stay as yours if you apply together at the same time. She will get a Visitor's Record at the point of entry in addition to her visitor visa. She can apply for an Open Work Permit and SIN card as soon as she enters Canada. She can also give birth. However she also has to be a women of God fearing character and control her friendship because even within your first month in Canada, a 2 yrs old marriage can br
"God fearing character and control her friendship"? Well, no point in even letting her come along. Best to keep her at home, preferably locked in the kitchen...

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
However she also has to be a women of God fearing character and control her friendship because even within your first month in Canada
o_O.............uh...................barefoot and pregnant seems to be the underlying tone........

JOSECESAR88

Jul 13, 2018
She can apply for a work permit but no guarantee it will be approved. Same goes with a TRV. There is no "dependent visa".
OK, let's say work permit is denied, she would be with me for more than 9 months in Alberta (that's the duration of my study), then either a TRV or Visitor Visa may be issued for her, thus granting at least the option to have a SIN, therefore be covered in Alberta Health Care and such other benefits in the Province.

Am I right with this?

Thanks for your feedback

rohan555

Oct 7, 2017
Any one can apply for a Visit Visa. Validity depends on your nationality.

Whether you apply together or separately depends more on showing the Visa Officer your intentions to return back to your home country.

I had applied for my study permit first which I have been granted and now will be applying for my wife’s Visit Visa and after her arrival in Canada will be applying for a change of status to an open work or open study permit as per her plans to work or study.

Nonetheless both you and your wife have to show solid reasons to return back to your home country and you specially have to show relevance of the course you are taking to it’s importance to your future career prospects in your home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Any one can apply for a Visit Visa. Validity depends on your nationality.

Whether you apply together or separately depends more on showing the Visa Officer your intentions to return back to your home country.

I had applied for my study permit first which I have been granted and now will be applying for my wife’s Visit Visa and after her arrival in Canada will be applying for a change of status to an open work or open study permit as per her plans to work or study.

Nonetheless both you and your wife have to show solid reasons to return back to your home country and you specially have to show relevance of the course you are taking to it’s importance to your future career prospects in your home country.
This is also incorrect. A spouse can apply for an OWP or a TRV from their home country with or without including with their spouse's application. Applying for a TRV and then an OWP just delays the process because it may take 4+ months. You have to be careful because in many circumstances your wife will not have healthcare. Your wife is not guaranteed a TRV or an OWP if you are an international student.

JOSECESAR88

Jul 13, 2018
This is also incorrect. A spouse can apply for an OWP or a TRV from their home country with or without including with their spouse's application. Applying for a TRV and then an OWP just delays the process because it may take 4+ months. You have to be careful because in many circumstances your wife will not have healthcare. Your wife is not guaranteed a TRV or an OWP if you are an international student.
So, that was my first question; when the main applicant is submitting the application and have to include her, what kind of legal "permit" would she be granted?

TRV or SOWP might be denied.
Visitor Visa for +9 months? If this is the case, at least she would be allowed to receive coverage in Alberta Care or other Province benefit.

What the options are?