+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What would be my wife status if she accompany me to study in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, that was my first question; when the main applicant is submitting the application and have to include her, what kind of legal "permit" would she be granted?

You have to pick. OWP allows a spouse to work.

TRV or SOWP might be denied. Yes international students are able to apply for their spouses to accompany them but not all get approved.

Visitor Visa for +9 months? If this is the case, at least she would be allowed to receive coverage in Alberta Care or other Province benefit.

No don't believe the the spouse of an international student has access to any form of benefits of healthcare especially on a TRV. If the spouse is working for a certain amount of time yes they likely qualify for coverage (depends on province).

What the options are?

JOSECESAR88

Jul 13, 2018
Do you currently have a study permit? Just saw that your wife is pregnant.
Not yet, currently waiting to get admitted at the college. I'm looking forward to see what would be the best option for my application.

My wife is pregnant, by the time I expect to submit the application she will be 4-5 months. I'm also evaluating whether she will have assistance during the pregnancy period in Alberta, or under what legal permit she would be assisted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not yet, currently waiting to get admitted at the college. I'm looking forward to see what would be the best option for my application.

My wife is pregnant, by the time I expect to submit the application she will be 4-5 months. I'm also evaluating whether she will have assistance during the pregnancy period in Alberta, or under what legal permit she would be assisted.
Assistance? Do you mean healthcare? She may also be required to pass a medical which involves a chest x-ray. Most doctors will recommend that she not do the x-ray until after the baby is born.

JOSECESAR88

Jul 13, 2018
Assistance? Do you mean healthcare? She may also be required to pass a medical which involves a chest x-ray. Most doctors will recommend that she not do the x-ray until after the baby is born.
Correct. I meant healthcare. Now my concern lies on have her covered in healthcare while I'm studying. Otherwise I may have to cancel this plan.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Correct. I meant healthcare. Now my concern lies on have her covered in healthcare while I'm studying. Otherwise I may have to cancel this plan.
You will have to convince Alberta to get healthcare given your course is only 9 months. You also have to get a student permit.