+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What will trigger LPP to start?

RamyMN

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Roughly how long it took you to LPP complete from when your scanned passport pages were requested? I got a request too last month and has been radio silence since.
Sorry for the delayed response, it took about 3-4 weeks for LPP to be completed after sending passport copies, followed by 3 weeks to DM and 3 more weeks for the oath ceremony. Again this varies by office and application

RamyMN

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation and wishes.
All the best to you :)
Sorry for the delayed response, it took about 3-4 weeks for LPP to be completed after sending passport copies, followed by 3 weeks to DM and 3 more weeks for the oath ceremony. Again this varies by office and application

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I understand your frustration, but it depends on many factors: application type, processing office, processing officer, and the application itself to name a few. IRCC website mentions that, for typical applications, their target is for applicants to get their citizenship within 4 to 6 months after they complete the test.

In my case, IRCC started working on my LPP 4 months after the test when I got a request to send scanned passport pages.

Best of luck with your application, hope you get positive updates soon.
Sep 2021 applicant, Scarborough office. Test June 2022. Background completed Feb 2023 but still waiting for LPP. Most people have LPP done within a month in my situation (delayed background check). Don’t know what’s taking so long. I suspect they might send me a passport page request/interview due my travel and self employment.

Can I do something to trigger the passport request?

RamyMN

Star Member
Dec 13, 2019
Sep 2021 applicant, Scarborough office. Test June 2022. Background completed Feb 2023 but still waiting for LPP. Most people have LPP done within a month in my situation (delayed background check). Don’t know what’s taking so long. I suspect they might send me a passport page request/interview due my travel and self employment.

Can I do something to trigger the passport request?
From my read of the forum, there is more than one reason to trigger a passport request
- Online applicants must provide the biometrics page during the application process, hence a passport copy request is sent most probably within the citizenship test invite.
- Applicant had their citizenship test outside Canada, might be requested to provide extra passport pages copy to verify their return.
- Passport copies are also requested when there are exit and entry stamps not in English or French, this is mainly a request to provide a translation embedded into the passport copy request.

More to say that depending on the application, the officer might request a passport copy. Being a 2021 applicant you are almost 6 months away from hitting IRCC's 24 months processing time. Hopefully your application will be completed before that.

Good Luck

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
From my read of the forum, there is more than one reason to trigger a passport request
- Online applicants must provide the biometrics page during the application process, hence a passport copy request is sent most probably within the citizenship test invite.
- Applicant had their citizenship test outside Canada, might be requested to provide extra passport pages copy to verify their return.
- Passport copies are also requested when there are exit and entry stamps not in English or French, this is mainly a request to provide a translation embedded into the passport copy request.

More to say that depending on the application, the officer might request a passport copy. Being a 2021 applicant you are almost 6 months away from hitting IRCC's 24 months processing time. Hopefully your application will be completed before that.

Good Luck
I did take test outside Canada, although I provided passport Stamps etc via email orn eturn, which was acknowledged.

I'm worried that they do want passport request but that it will take several months for the request to come. I will try to email asking if they want my passport pages or any other information.

I cant afford to wait another 6 months.

explorer791

May 2, 2023
I did take test outside Canada, although I provided passport Stamps etc via email orn eturn, which was acknowledged.

I'm worried that they do want passport request but that it will take several months for the request to come. I will try to email asking if they want my passport pages or any other information.

I cant afford to wait another 6 months.
any update on your case?

papermaple

May 19, 2023
LPP still pending.
Applied for urgent processing. No response so far. No end in sight.
You are not alone. I am Jan 2022 applicant. Test was done/ passed in Nov 2022.. But still waiting for LPP to start. How did you apply for urgent processing ?

ceejay132

Feb 1, 2020

Good Luck
Hello. According to your response here "Online applicants must provide the biometrics page during the application process", since it was uploaded online, why would they still require the passport copy again?
When I applied, it only asked for the biometric page....and not stamped pages. But after applying and reading forums, i see alot of people talking about requests for scanned pages with stamps. Is it everyone that didn't upload this that is asked for the stamped pages? Especially as there were travels within the 5 yrs. I'm asking to know if i should just open a webform and send it before it is requested? What do you think?

Nousernamesadface

May 15, 2019
Hello. According to your response here "Online applicants must provide the biometrics page during the application process", since it was uploaded online, why would they still require the passport copy again?
When I applied, it only asked for the biometric page....and not stamped pages. But after applying and reading forums, i see alot of people talking about requests for scanned pages with stamps. Is it everyone that didn't upload this that is asked for the stamped pages? Especially as there were travels within the 5 yrs. I'm asking to know if i should just open a webform and send it before it is requested? What do you think?
They don't ask everyone. Keep waiting, they may or may not ask you. Some people uploaded with the application and got asked to email them again. Who knows what they're doing. Just wait.

OmarionMommy

May 9, 2016
You are not alone. I am Jan 2022 applicant. Test was done/ passed in Nov 2022.. But still waiting for LPP to start. How did you apply for urgent processing ?
I am March 2022 Applicant, September 2022 background verification completed, citizenship test invitation 10 th October 2022, completed test 17th October 2022-passed. Status changed to complete in December 2022. Ghost update July 2023 nothing since then… n everyone I know who applied with me and after me have already completed every step or already have date for ceremony.

Jalalcananda

May 24, 2018
I am March 2022 Applicant, September 2022 background verification completed, citizenship test invitation 10 th October 2022, completed test 17th October 2022-passed. Status changed to complete in December 2022. Ghost update July 2023 nothing since then… n everyone I know who applied with me and after me have already completed every step or already have date for ceremony.
You need to apply for this:
For applications that exceed the standard processing times, the term you might be looking for is "mandamus." A writ of mandamus is a court order that mandates a government entity or official, including the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), to fulfill their official duties or correct an abuse of discretion. In the context of immigration, if an application is taking significantly longer than the published processing times without a justifiable reason, an applicant might seek a mandamus action to compel the IRCC to make a decision on their application.

Filing a mandamus action is a serious legal procedure and is usually considered a last resort after other attempts to resolve the delay, such as inquiries and follow-ups, have failed. Due to the complexity and legal nuances involved in pursuing a writ of mandamus, it's highly recommended to consult with an immigration lawyer who has experience with these types of legal actions. They can provide guidance on the feasibility, process, and implications of pursuing such a course of action.