+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What will happen if I am outside of Canada when my inland CEC PR application is approved? Family Emergency.

Maddy31

Aug 8, 2021
Hi I'm in a similar situation.
My application apparently is approved (according to GCMS note) and waiting for COPR for about 4 months.
Now I will need to go back to my country in a few weeks (for a few months).

Though in my underastanding, I thought I could just get COPR by email and when I come back to Canada, I could confirm my status at the boarder. Am I wrong?
The portal email asking you if you're in Canada was for a virtual landing, no?

I'm confused...
Few things to consider:
if you get confirmation of your application approval, you can send email to : IRCC.ClientPortal-PortalClient.IRCC@cic.gc.ca, mentioning all details(with dependents if any) application #,UCI# DoB,email id etc., mention that you get confirmation from GCMS notes. You can wait for your portal email before your travel if possible.
For getting eCoPR, you must be present in Canada, If you're out of Canada, when you get your first portal email, you need to tell them and they(IRCC) will send you further instructions to proceed.
if you get your PR document outside of Canada, you'll need PRTD(PR Travel Document) for coming back, that will be issued only after you've your PR document. Your CoPR is not valid document for travel just FYI.
Last option, if you've have valid visa and you didn't get anything in hand for your PR application then you go and come back and rest process you can do after coming back here.
hope this will help a bit.

Sonu Po

Oct 15, 2021
Hello
yes , once you are out and you get portal email you need to inform that you are outside and process will start again.
In case you can come back to Canada with-in 1-2 weeks of Portal email than you can hold response to portal email , come back to CA and inform same.

Reactions: C_vitamin

mnmkyng

May 12, 2020
Few things to consider:
if you get confirmation of your application approval, you can send email to : IRCC.ClientPortal-PortalClient.IRCC@cic.gc.ca, mentioning all details(with dependents if any) application #,UCI# DoB,email id etc., mention that you get confirmation from GCMS notes. You can wait for your portal email before your travel if possible.
For getting eCoPR, you must be present in Canada, If you're out of Canada, when you get your first portal email, you need to tell them and they(IRCC) will send you further instructions to proceed.
if you get your PR document outside of Canada, you'll need PRTD(PR Travel Document) for coming back, that will be issued only after you've your PR document. Your CoPR is not valid document for travel just FYI.
Last option, if you've have valid visa and you didn't get anything in hand for your PR application then you go and come back and rest process you can do after coming back here.

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Do you know what "further instructions to proceed" will be?
I won't be able to "land/flagpole"? (That used to be how one could be a permanent resident)

Also, do you mind elaborating the below?:
"Last option, if you've have valid visa and you didn't get anything in hand for your PR application then you go and come back and rest process you can do after coming back here."

mnmkyng

May 12, 2020
Hello
yes , once you are out and you get portal email you need to inform that you are outside and process will start again.
In case you can come back to Canada with-in 1-2 weeks of Portal email than you can hold response to portal email , come back to CA and inform same.
Thanks for your answer!
Do you mean that if I come back to Canada within a few weeks after I get the portal email, I can just confirm my presence in Canada as if I never left Canada?

Maddy31

Aug 8, 2021
Thanks for the prompt reply!
Do you know what "further instructions to proceed" will be?
I won't be able to "land/flagpole"? (That used to be how one could be a permanent resident)

Also, do you mind elaborating the below?:
"Last option, if you've have valid visa and you didn't get anything in hand for your PR application then you go and come back and rest process you can do after coming back here."
I'm not aware exactly what are the instructions though, but IRCC will let you know once you get first portal email. For eCoPR(CEC) I doubt that you will need to do landing/flagpole.
first portal email you need to provide your confirmation of staying in Canada and your/dependents application details as per their request(you'll get exact template for what info you need to provide to them)
If you're in Canada then second portal email they'll ask your address(for sending PR cards) and photo(upload). after few days(sometimes few weeks , may be more) , you will get your eCoPR(PDF format on same portal) and after that you will get your PR cards.

Last options I meant, you will have some status here , I'm saying you can go and come back on that basis, like if you can think of your PR application is still in progress.
But if you're planning to stay for months then you will still get PR in your country but it will be different process that you will know yourself until someone who has this scenario in this forum can respond.

Reactions: mnmkyng

Sonu Po

Oct 15, 2021
Few things to consider:
Hello sir ,

once we inform IRCC that we are outside canada , what action they take .. they keep processing on hold or issue passport request ?? I want to know if anyone faced this case and what was IRCC action

Thanks

realmj

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
I am facing the same challenge or confusion...I did mention I am outside of Canada when responding to the first email. However, I was still getting the 2nd email and it provided me the portal credentials.
Furthermore, when I login into the portal there are NO other ways around to state I am outside of Canada, all I can do is confirm I am inside Canada and upload mail address and photo, and I only have 7 days to complete the whole process on the portal.

Can anyone who already got instruction from IRCC on how to handle this kind of case share your experience? much appreciate!

anuraagmishra

Jun 6, 2017
I am facing the same challenge or confusion...I did mention I am outside of Canada when responding to the first email. However, I was still getting the 2nd email and it provided me the portal credentials.
Furthermore, when I login into the portal there are NO other ways around to state I am outside of Canada, all I can do is confirm I am inside Canada and upload mail address and photo, and I only have 7 days to complete the whole process on the portal.

Can anyone who already got instruction from IRCC on how to handle this kind of case share your experience? much appreciate!
I have to reply to the email and currently outside the country. What options do I have? Also how quickly do I need to respond back? I will be returning back in a month on a valid TRV. Will I be able to come back in with the TRV?

omarawad

Jul 1, 2018

What did you finally do?

Reactions: C_vitamin

anuraagmishra

Jun 6, 2017
So, I waited till we were inside Canada to accept. IRCC was extremely quick at sending a landing paper with the information they had requested like last port of entry. I will NOT advice giving false information. You do need a valid visa to enter. Learned the hard way where we had left the country with just a valid study permit and not a visa. Seems we have to renew the VISA as well when it expires. That was a shocker as USA does not have that requirement. That said, you best bet is wait till you enter Canada legally and then send that email with the correct information even if you entered 1 day back. Or take your chances that you are outside the country and see where that takes you. I was warned against that by so many people that I dont know how that would go!

omarawad

Jul 1, 2018
So, I waited till we were inside Canada to accept. IRCC was extremely quick at sending a landing paper with the information they had requested like last port of entry. I will NOT advice giving false information. You do need a valid visa to enter. Learned the hard way where we had left the country with just a valid study permit and not a visa. Seems we have to renew the VISA as well when it expires. That was a shocker as USA does not have that requirement. That said, you best bet is wait till you enter Canada legally and then send that email with the correct information even if you entered 1 day back. Or take your chances that you are outside the country and see where that takes you. I was warned against that by so many people that I dont know how that would go!
So you managed to return back during the 7-day window to accept? I will never give false info. I will just wait till I'm back in 4-5 months and inform IRCC that I'm back in Canada. Let me know what you think!

RobinKang

Mar 19, 2022
I have to reply to the email and currently outside the country. What options do I have? Also how quickly do I need to respond back? I will be returning back in a month on a valid TRV. Will I be able to come back in with the TRV?
I have same situation. I came back Canada after 2 months of receiving portal credentials, but first thing I did, raised a web form and inform IRCC about my trip and they mailed me back that information is updated in my application file and told me to inform immigration after came back and when I was back , I have valid visa and submit my portal.

Naalelnak

Sep 5, 2020
I have same situation. I came back Canada after 2 months of receiving portal credentials, but first thing I did, raised a web form and inform IRCC about my trip and they mailed me back that information is updated in my application file and told me to inform immigration after came back and when I was back , I have valid visa and submit my portal.
Hello, can I ask did you respond to the portal email telling them you weren’t in Canada?
And when you were back in Canada and emailed them were they cool with it and just let you get access to the portal?

just worrying seeing people say the process starts again.

RobinKang

Mar 19, 2022
Hello, can I ask did you respond to the portal email telling them you weren’t in Canada?
And when you were back in Canada and emailed them were they cool with it and just let you get access to the portal?

just worrying seeing people say the process starts again.
I raised a web form but I also have portal credentials at that time and I completed my portal after back to Canada and everything is ok.

Naalelnak

Sep 5, 2020
I raised a web form but I also have portal credentials at that time and I completed my portal after back to Canada and everything is ok.
thanks for the reply.

Waiting for a response from immigration to my email as their 'contact us when you are back' line is pretty vague. Really just want confirmation from them that my Approved PR will infact remain approved until i am back next month and can then do the portal.

thanks