+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to say at the border? Girlfriend, Fiancee or "Just Friends"? (long message)

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
Sorry for asking another question. It's based on this comment: "If he exits and enters again after a few days, it totally depends on the IO at the border. The proper way would be to apply for extension which you should do when he has 30 days left on his visa and takes currently 101 days, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#temp_res After his 6 months were up, he would have implied status and after the 101 day processing, he would have a yes or a no. That is what happened to that other couple, they got a no and after talking to the border services, they were advised by them apparently to go to the US and come back so that's what they did and in their case, it worked." --> On this last statement (hopefully in red), was the person asking for an extension as a visitor or student???

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
Hopefully one final question: my fiance' just made a comment regarding sponsorship. (I think I may have asked this sometime before, but can't seem to find the answer anymore). If he comes here as a tourist/student then asks for extension (and for now we shall say that he gets the extension), what are the problems I will encounter if say 1 year down the road I sponsor him as conjugal or common-law?? Will they wonder why he didn't mention this sponsorship when he first came to visit/study??? I'm sooooooo confused!!!

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
From what I hear thats not a problem at all. Thats how most people are able to apply as common law because they were together in another country on a different type of visa. The task would be proving that he is getting the student/tourist visa for just that, not to be with significant other.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The guy who was denied extension and went across the border and came back was a visitor I think or maybe he wanted to stay another 6 months after finishing a working holiday visa, I forget.

There is no law against deciding to do a sponsorship after having been a visitor. A lot of people do this. One woman on here said she got more than one visit visa extension for the reason "exploring relationship".

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
There is no law against deciding to do a sponsorship after having been a visitor. A lot of people do this. One woman on here said she got more than one visit visa extension for the reason "exploring relationship". Really?? WOW!! I didn't think that would be looked upon very well. I would think CIC would see it as "suspicious". We don't really need to "explore a relationship" ....we feel we've done that in the past few years. We just want to be together, and it makes more sense for us to do that here in Canada, seeing as I have a more "stable" job than he does, a "recession-proof" job. The problem is, he needs "certainties" in being able to stay. He doesn't want to hear "sorry, you must return to your home country". He doesn't want to milk the system. He's more than willing to "work" for a living once he is "legally" here. The question is, how to come here properly. If I do sponsor him as a "common-law" partner, when can I start the paperwork?? Does it have to be after the full year of co-habitation is complete?? I heard from someone that I could start the paperwork before, while he's here as a tourist or even on a student visa. Is that true?? Thanks for any responses. What should he say at point of entry? Is it OK to say "visiting my girlfriend or fiancee"??

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
You can start the paperwork whenever you want. Its best to get a head start on it as like the rest of us you'll probably have alot of questions. As far as turning in the paperwork doing common-law I would assume you would have to wait until you actually meet the requirements of the 1 year cohabiting period. It is ok to use visiting girlfriend/fiance. My husband and I both say that when crossing the border. The only thing the officers usually said to me is how do you have a boyfriend/husband in Canada or how did you meet them. Then they would go on with questions about my job and length of stay to make sure I was returning home soon. I've always been honest when going through customs.

ManBurning

Sep 6, 2009
Oh geez, a guy got turned back from the border patrol for saying he was going to meet someone he met online!?
Yikes... Maybe I better keep it to "going to see a friend" rather then girlfriend or lead it on to be anything that is of a romantic nature. I would hate to have her there waiting and they turn me back and ruins my whole vacation. I mean, it's not like I am going there for a few months. I already have my return flight booked as well. Ok, I just need to take a deep breath and realzie that the big bad border isn't as scary as they sometimes make it out to be. I'm just worried they will turn me back for suspicious behavior now.

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"there is a guy here who got flagged because at some point he went to Canada saying he was going to meet somebody he had met online and the IO decided he must be a major weirdo and red-flagged him in their computers. Since then, he's always pulled aside and double checked when he's coming to Canada"

That's me.

Every time up until I got married (To a Canadian in Canada) I told the first screener "invited by a family friend", then the 2nd screening they ask " visiting the one you met on-line again?"

I got married in Canada during one of my visits. I didn't tell them I was getting married because it was a vacation as well and the question never came up. My last visit (August) was for my step-daughter's wedding. They asked if my wife is in Canada, and a Canadian, and commented on how nice my wedding ring was. It also helped that the officer I was being screened by let me in before on a previous visit. They also knew that my wife was sponsoring me for a PR.

My advice...tell them "Vacation" and if they ask you where and whom, tell them "Invited by a friend" and make sure you have the invite with you. Chances are, they have lightened up considerably since I got red flagged (it was 2002 - 7 years and still getting harrassed because of a "morally inclined" border officer) and they won't bat an eye - unless they are looking for something to occupy thier time.

Also realize, the Olympics are going to start up in February (Vancouver) and they may want to have Canada look good and let you in without hassle due to efforts on behalf of good Public Relations.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torbole said:
The problem is, he needs "certainties" in being able to stay. He doesn't want to hear "sorry, you must return to your home country".
There are no guarantees with immigration. A lot can depend on the IO. When applying as a common law, you can get the forms ready but you can not actually apply until you meet the 12 months requirement. There is an immigration class for conjugal partners but it's said to be hard to get accepted since it's mainly there for people who are somehow prevented from living together or getting married. Even if you were prevented from living together, say if his visit visa was not renewed, then you would still have the option of getting married.

Another option for him to come and stay with a little more security would be to find and get accepted to a language school beforehand and apply for the study visa from outside Canada, for example for 1 year. Then he would know beforehand that he has at least the year. He could also try his luck on applying for PR directly via skilled worker but then he'll likely be waiting a year for processing.

JimM

Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
My fiancee and I got grilled pretty thoroughly about our relationship last year when I went up to visit. We were asked how we met and said online we got a long stream of follow ups including "What do her parents think of the age difference between you?". I suggested the officer ask her father who was in the lobby waiting for us, (they drove down to pick me up at the Amtrak station in Minot ND). That actually went a good way to convincing her the relationship was real.

Granted that also could have been because I had been flagged as having a "criminal record" even though I don't. MA lists you as having a record if you've ever been arraigned no matter what the outcome. That was the first time it had come up and I've been across the border many times. I ended up getting a TRV and applying for Rehabilitation when I got back home. The result was I was told I shouldn't have been stopped in the first place. It's funny now but at the time it was anything but.

Given that though it's possible they were extra cautious about anything that might have seemed odd. Still I'd be careful about saying you met somebody on the internet unless you have to.

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
Thanks to everyone for their input, it means a lot. I hope things go well, I'm rather tired of the long-distance. Who knows, maybe the only choice we have will be to get married sooner than we had hoped. Good luck to all of you!! If I have any other questions, I know who to ask!! :))

I

ImmOfficer

Tell the truth! That is the best advice. Whatever the case may be, just tell the truth. The one surefire way to make the IO believe that you do not have honest intentions is to be dishonest.

There is nothing wrong with meeting people online. It happens every day! It's a very common way of meeting new people. Even I have done it! IOs aren't here to judge whether or not you are "wierd", we are simply here to determine whether or not you are in compliance and will continue to comply with Immigration law. If you hold back material information or outright lie, then it is very tough for a determination to be made in your favour.

skokica

Jan 26, 2008
Re: What to say at the border? Girlfriend, Fiancee or "Just Friends"? (long mess

It is really weird when you are crossing border. Once I got stopped and they asked me what my intentions were to come to Canada. I told them proudly that I was going to visit my boyfriend... They got weird look and I was pulled aside. They made sure I had return ticket and they let me go, but first I had to wait all people to get off the plane. Pretty long wait once you are flying from Frankfurt.

Later on my boyfriend (now husband) was the one who was flying to Europe.

I came to Canada again last december, 3 days before schedual wedding. I was nervous as hell what to tell to IO at the port of entry. They probably noticed this, so they asked me... "What are your intentions here in Canada?", I said as quick as I could "Visiting my friends for x-mas", he said "Step on a side and wait". Again...
One guy got stopped too, but he answered "Visiting my fiance" and you won't believe, IO told him to go quickly so she won't wait for him too long. I was shocked standing there and waiting for all the people get of the plane. He checked my passport and return ticket and he let me go. I won't even mention that my baggage with wedding gown got lost somewhere on Paris airport 3 days before the wedding.

So.. you never know what is right to say or do.

About income: My husband put 0 income there. He is still full time student, so therefore he doesn't have income. They never said anything, never requested anything and I got approved. Timeline is in my signature.

OneLuckyCookie

Star Member
Jul 6, 2009
I always say that I am visiting my boyfriend and I have not had any difficulties so far. They always ask all sorts of questions. I was asked once if my boyfriend knew I was coming.... =) I would just be honest!