+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to mention in the SOP about my educational gap of 3 years?

hlakshay

Feb 20, 2019
I completed my graduation in 2016 however, there was a degree issue going on between my college and university grant commission and that's why i couldn't get my degree or my marksheets at that time. That's why i couldn't get a job and i also couldn't applied for ielts cuz i wasn't sure of my graduation degree at that time . But in early 2018 i got my degree and i started working from 18 june untill 22nd jan (7months) (I've offer letter, bank statement of my salary, can arrange my experience letter as well) . Now from January i have started preparing for ielts for jan 2020 intake for a PGDM course in vancouver. What can i do about that 2 years gap?? What are my chances to get a study visa.? I wanted to Continue my studies after my graduation but couldn't because of that degree issue. Please help.
Here's my profile, please feel free to share your views as to how can i strengthen my case:
Ive done BBA in business management (Generic management) and once I'm done with my ielts test i will apply for Post graduate diploma in Either Supply chain management or marketing management to futher enhance my skills in a particular field cuz earlier my bba was in generic management and i didn't really learn anything particularly. This course will help me learn a new skill which will further help me alot with my future in my home country as a diploma certificate from a reputed institution abroad will add to my profile and will help me secure a good job in a related feild.
My score in 10th was 6.8 cgpa out of 10 and in 12th i scored 74% in top 5 subjects.
So please guide me as to what can i do to get a offer letter from a college and also my study visa/permit without any problems?

napnusion

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
Ok, I see your problem. First of all, sorry for all that you went through for 2 years. (2016-2018)

Now for application, most colleges do not see the GAP, or even if they do then explain your situation the way it was. Honestly, express how hard it was for you at that time when your college/university got into a tussle. I would say, it wasn't your fault so you would probably get an offer letter.

To get the offer letter , apply with all of your documents + Statement of Explanation (stating your academic qualifications and justifying the reason of gap).

This will be sufficient to get you an offer letter.

For visa, write an SOP and yes do state honestly the reason for your gap and how it inconvenienced you. Also highlight, how quickly you started seeking a job and working as soon you got your marksheets. Make an SOP that's personal on this issue, but also humbly highlights the obstacles and achievements you've been through.

And I guess, it would be all to get your VISA.

In conclusion, you've already written quite well about your problems and I know you can do so in your SOP too!

Good luck and don't worry.

Reactions: hlakshay

hlakshay

Feb 20, 2019
Ok, I see your problem. First of all, sorry for all that you went through for 2 years. (2016-2018)

Now for application, most colleges do not see the GAP, or even if they do then explain your situation the way it was. Honestly, express how hard it was for you at that time when your college/university got into a tussle. I would say, it wasn't your fault so you would probably get an offer letter.

To get the offer letter , apply with all of your documents + Statement of Explanation (stating your academic qualifications and justifying the reason of gap).

This will be sufficient to get you an offer letter.

For visa, write an SOP and yes do state honestly the reason for your gap and how it inconvenienced you. Also highlight, how quickly you started seeking a job and working as soon you got your marksheets. Make an SOP that's personal on this issue, but also humbly highlights the obstacles and achievements you've been through.

And I guess, it would be all to get your VISA.

In conclusion, you've already written quite well about your problems and I know you can do so in your SOP too!

Good luck and don't worry.
Thank you so much for taking your time to address my issue This was much needed for me. Just one more question, i was wondering if mentioning the issue of my degree would have a negative impact on my application. Are you sure that i should write that in my sop? Actually i wrote an SOP last night without even giving an Ielts exam because i was frustrated and in that sop, i wrote that i willingly took a break from my studies to pursue my passion in Poetry and fitness,, but the actual reason was that my situation forced me to take a break from my career. And if that's okay with yocan you please provide me your mail address,

hlakshay

Feb 20, 2019
Thank you so much for taking your time to address my issue This was much needed for me. Just one more question, i was wondering if mentioning the issue of my degree would have a negative impact on my application. Are you sure that i should write that in my sop? Actually i wrote an SOP last night without even giving an Ielts exam because i was frustrated and in that sop, i wrote that i willingly took a break from my studies to pursue my passion in Poetry and fitness,, but the actual reason was that my situation forced me to take a break from my career. And if that's okay with yocan you please provide me your mail address,
And i was not the only one, around 3 thousand other students from 12 campuses across country were affected due to this issue between my college and ugc, and just so you know, now my college has the status of Institute of national importance (INI) granted by an act of Parliament in my country (India) and holds the right to distribute degrees in it's name.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Never provide false information. Be honest and true to what you are saying. All the visa officer wants to know is that you can study in canada academically, you have the funds to live and study in Canada, and you are coming for studies and not anything else. Just explain the reason why you did not get your degree after completion.

hlakshay

Feb 20, 2019
Never provide false information. Be honest and true to what you are saying. All the visa officer wants to know is that you can study in canada academically, you have the funds to live and study in Canada, and you are coming for studies and not anything else. Just explain the reason why you did not get your degree after completion.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply on my query. I'll surely keep this in mind while applying for my visa. Do you think that if I'll be honest in my sop then it can make the VO feel sympathetic towards me and show pity and grant me visa? ;p :D lol

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thank you so much for your prompt reply on my query. I'll surely keep this in mind while applying for my visa. Do you think that if I'll be honest in my sop then it can make the VO feel sympathetic towards me and show pity and grant me visa? ;p :D lol
No, if they find out or you get caught you will get banned from Canada for misrepresentation. So, if that's OK for you then go ahead and do so.

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
Why cant he just say he has a degree and now wants to add on to it with a pgdm? is it really necessary to talk about the study gap, I mean the study gap is resolved by getting the loa from the school.

ledokt

Jan 12, 2019
South korea
Category........
Why cant he just say he has a degree and now wants to add on to it with a pgdm? is it really necessary to talk about the study gap, I mean the study gap is resolved by getting the loa from the school.
i think embassy wants to see if an applicant kept continuous study progression or not as a student. noticeable gap surely rise some eyebrows.

hlakshay

Feb 20, 2019
I wish i could do that but it ain't happening :/ I'll be honest about my situation in my SOP for sure now as it wasn't my fault that i couldn't get a degree and which in turn didn't allow me to further continue my higher education or to secure a job related to my studies in college. Thank you everyone for your precious guidance. And could someone please provide me their email address so that i can share my SOP with you for references and for future guidance.