+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do with my spouse after moving to Canada?

dmitry86

Jun 4, 2009
Dear Sirs!
I am new here, and I kindly ask you for help or advice.

I and girlfriend are willing to marry in autumn 2009.
We are from Russia, so we need to follow visa routines.

Next year (Fall 2010) I will relocate to Canada to study in Centennial College (Fast Track Co-Op program) for 2 years. I hope I will get Acceptance, Study&Work Permit.

But,

what to do with my prospective wife?
Could she request work permit straight away according to this link?:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She could apply for a TRV to accompany you and a work permit once she gets to Canada but it's not guaranteed that she will get it. The embassy has to believe that she will go back when the visa expires. People differ on if it's better to apply together or you first and then her later. If you applied together, you would both need to show sufficient ties that you will go back. If you fail, you can both be denied. If you apply first and show ties, including leaving your wife in old country, you may be approved but when she then applies to join you, she may be denied.

dmitry86

Jun 4, 2009
Dear Leon,

thank you for your answer.

Will TRV visa be equal my study permit?
Is it possible to expand TRV within Canada?

And what to do if a child will be born during my 2 years studies?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your spouse gets a TRV, it will probably be equal to your study permit, same with her open work permit. It is possible to extend a TRV within Canada. Centennial college is in ON. OHIP which is the health insurance of ON may not cover students or spouses of students. You can get in touch with them here to find out: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/common/contact.html

If your wife is not covered by OHIP, you will have to find a private insurance, may be available through your college which will cover the cost of the baby if she gets pregnant. If you do not have insurance, you will have to pay yourself. It can easily be $10,000 even if all goes well.

If your wife had been working at least 4 months before she had the baby, she might qualify for maternity benefits, see http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/special.shtml It would pay her 55% of her normal wages but with a maximum of $447 per week.

dmitry86

Jun 4, 2009
Thank you Leon!

But, can she apply for TRV in Russia, and then, after moving to Canada apply for Work Permit within Canada?

Thank you!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, she can apply for a TRV first and then after she's in Canada send in an application to change status and ask for an open work permit as the spouse of a student.

dmitry86

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks Leon!

I think this variant is much better because in Russia visa officers sometimes are not loyal to Russian citizens.
and
I think in this case she will have all chances to get TRV here, and will it be possible to apply for work permit immediately after transfer to Canada of we need to wait 6 or more months?

Thank you again!!!

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Leon said:
Yes, she can apply for a TRV first and then after she's in Canada send in an application to change status and ask for an open work permit as the spouse of a student.
Hi, I also recommend this option. My cousin who is a student was in your same exact situation and she and her common law partner were able to secure work permit for the latter already while in Canada.

I do not suggest that your spouse applies for work permit right away. CIC might wonder why she did not apply for work permit from Russia before she left. And she wait maybe 2 months so that it appears like she changed her mind after she got here. Applying right away means that even before she left Russia, she already had intention to work in Canada.

But nothing will stop you from applying right away if that is what you want to do and you can justify to CIC (only in case they ask) why you did not have her apply in Russia before you left. I am just playing on the safe side. But really, you can apply right away if that's what you prefer.

Good luck.