+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What should I do (~16 months)

embo

Apr 11, 2016
Hey everyone,

So I applied for citizenship with my daughter(Who has finished high school in MTL and now in College) after satisfying every requirement, On June,2016. After we got invited to the test on September 2016. We both passed it with good marks, passed the interview and went home.

On March 2017, we received a letter saying they need extra documents. I have sent them and I got another letter at the end of april saying they need other documents. I sent them on May 07,2017 and since then no news. We are now in November 2017. I tried to ask from web contact from twice about my application status and i received automated answers saying my file is sitting at Montreal office.

I have been paying all my taxes, have property, have more than 1 cars and all that. I do not think i deserve this kind of treatment at all like i am some kind of criminal. The most frustrating thing is that there is no where that i can get information, it is my right to get information about my application.

CIC helpline is useless and not helping, so what should i do? How can i get information about whats going on? Should i go to court and sue? I am not sure what to do at this point as both our permanent residence cards are gonna expire in couple months.

Thanks

lpc19800

Champion Member
May 21, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 14 2013
AOR Received.
February 24 2013
Med's Request
November 13, 2013
Med's Done....
December 5, 2013
Interview........
Waived: RPRF requested: November 13, 2013
Passport Req..
Visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
January 6, 2014
LANDED..........
January 29, 2014
Have you applied to look at the case files? I'm not sure if this is applicable to citizenship applications but it's worth checking online - you order them, it costs about $5 and they are emailed to you - I cannot remember how long it takes.
Also get on with renewing your PR cards - just in case.
What did CIC actually tell you when you called them? Just that your case is in Montreal? It could have been sent for further processing and checks - unfortunately having a property and cars etc does not entitle you to Canadian citizenship. I'm not sure what grounds you would sue on either.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Have you applied to look at the case files? I'm not sure if this is applicable to citizenship applications but it's worth checking online - you order them, it costs about $5 and they are emailed to you - I cannot remember how long it takes.
What did CIC actually tell you when you called them? Just that your case is in Montreal? It could have been sent for further processing and checks - unfortunately having a property and cars etc does not entitle you to Canadian citizenship. I'm not sure what grounds you would sue on either.
If you live in Canada it is free to get that report

embo

Apr 11, 2016
They said they don't have information other than what i am seeing, they did mention a form that i can send to ottawa to get info about my case which i did but no answer yet.

Also,
Its not about having cars or property, its about everything being satisfied and legal but not be able to get an information about my status as it is something really important to us both to determine if we will continue to live here or not. I can't keep paying absurd taxes , buy stuff ,have investments at somewhere where i do not have a clear future if at the end i dont even know what will happen. Their processing times are 12 months or less, but its been 16 months. Since i passed the test and satisfy everything, taking a look at 5 pages of extra papers that they requested should not take them 6 months logically if you compare how fast they were able to call us to the citizenship test, so clearly some people are not doing their job.

Not sure what your grounds should be for suing ... you can probably try this
https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en
that should probably give you some insight on what's going on with your application.
It would take 30 days
I dont know either, just trying to understand what i should do. Thank you for the link

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey everyone,

So I applied for citizenship with my daughter(Who has finished high school in MTL and now in College) after satisfying every requirement, On June,2016. After we got invited to the test on September 2016. We both passed it with good marks, passed the interview and went home.

On March 2017, we received a letter saying they need extra documents. I have sent them and I got another letter at the end of april saying they need other documents. I sent them on May 07,2017 and since then no news. We are now in November 2017. I tried to ask from web contact from twice about my application status and i received automated answers saying my file is sitting at Montreal office.

I have been paying all my taxes, have property, have more than 1 cars and all that. I do not think i deserve this kind of treatment at all like i am some kind of criminal. The most frustrating thing is that there is no where that i can get information, it is my right to get information about my application.

CIC helpline is useless and not helping, so what should i do? How can i get information about whats going on? Should i go to court and sue? I am not sure what to do at this point as both our permanent residence cards are gonna expire in couple months.

Thanks
As your application is over the normal processing time which is 12 months, you should be able to contact CIC and ask for update.

You can inquire regarding the current status of your case using the web form:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

Once you submit the request, it takes about couple of weeks for you to get the response from CIC.

AG

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
They said they don't have information other than what i am seeing, they did mention a form that i can send to ottawa to get info about my case which i did but no answer yet.

Also,
Its not about having cars or property, its about everything being satisfied and legal but not be able to get an information about my status as it is something really important to us both to determine if we will continue to live here or not. I can't keep paying absurd taxes , buy stuff ,have investments at somewhere where i do not have a clear future if at the end i dont even know what will happen. Their processing times are 12 months or less, but its been 16 months. Since i passed the test and satisfy everything, taking a look at 5 pages of extra papers that they requested should not take them 6 months logically if you compare how fast they were able to call us to the citizenship test, so clearly some people are not doing their job.

I dont know either, just trying to understand what i should do. Thank you for the link
12 months is just the average, that means it will be shorter than 12 months for some people and longer than 12 months for others, it's only been 4 months over the average, for CIC standard it is pretty normal...

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
12 months is just the average, that means it will be shorter than 12 months for some people and longer than 12 months for others, it's only been 4 months over the average, for CIC standard it is pretty normal...
CIC will not entertain any request that is for an application lesser than 12 months unless it is deemed urgent.

AG

paritosh

Jan 12, 2010
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Agree bro its like 3rd world govt no difference when it come to go and work with govt. Try to write letters everyday or apply canadian charter rights it may help

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
call the montreal office which handle your case including showing up in person with all documents. I would been frustrated too, have you visited dangerous middle eastern countries or one of your family member facing criminal charge?, if they suspect you are have commited war crimes abroad it might be the case.

can you shade on light the documents they requested?

sorry u facing special unique situation 1 in million, but tough times will pass. your case is totally unusual.

SeulDansMonBocal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
DAKAR
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
05-11-2015
File Transfer...
10-12-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
05-09-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
17-06-2016
LANDED..........
ETA: 29-07-2016
This is the main reason why I always recommend every one over 18 filling separately. You dont get all stuck when there is redline with 1 person.

Officer Green

Nov 10, 2017
Hey everyone,

Thanks
I think you already know the reason why the processing is taking so long.
Was the NICE CAR you are mentioning the issue?
(As someone already said car and property is not the prerequisite for the citizenship neither the law can discriminate any one based on that).
What I mean is if you had any traffic related issues? Or other security related issues?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/about-foreign-drivers-license.430623/

As far as processing manuals describe (and I guess everyone here knows), physical presence, language requirement and knowledge test are the only main criteria to be met for the citizenship, if the applicant does not have any security/immigration or law and order related issue.

If you don't know the reason, then you may want to order the CAIPS or whatever as suggested above. But I guess as you already mentioned about the documents they asked, I am sure you have something very specific that you need to satisfy to the CIC.

I guess you should ask a lawyer who can help you if there is something complicated. Otherwise, I guess just wait and see. As immigration and criminality (RCMP) reports are valid for one year, your records might have already expired, and in this case the office needs to reorder those again.

I thought you already had the citizenship!

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/a-passport-question.429363/

Anyway, chillax, let the CIC officers do their job; if everything is clear in your side, I am sure you will not have any problem to get the citizenship.

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you already know the reason why the processing is taking so long.
Was the NICE CAR you are mentioning the issue?
(As someone already said car and property is not the prerequisite for the citizenship neither the law can discriminate any one based on that).
What I mean is if you had any traffic related issues? Or other security related issues?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/about-foreign-drivers-license.430623/

As far as processing manuals describe (and I guess everyone here knows), physical presence, language requirement and knowledge test are the only main criteria to be met for the citizenship, if the applicant does not have any security/immigration or law and order related issue.

If you don't know the reason, then you may want to order the CAIPS or whatever as suggested above. But I guess as you already mentioned about the documents they asked, I am sure you have something very specific that you need to satisfy to the CIC.

I guess you should ask a lawyer who can help you if there is something complicated. Otherwise, I guess just wait and see. As immigration and criminality (RCMP) reports are valid for one year, your records might have already expired, and in this case the office needs to reorder those again.

I thought you already had the citizenship!

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/a-passport-question.429363/

Anyway, chillax, let the CIC officers do their job; if everything is clear in your side, I am sure you will not have any problem to get the citizenship.
Welcome back with a new name !