+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What needs to be done after becoming a PR?

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Hello All!
I became a PR last week. Got my SIN today. Are there other official and/or useful things I need to do? (Already applied for Medicare because the province we're in lets spouses with sponsorship in progress apply). Just want to be sure I'm not missing something crucial. My husband became a PR at 10 and a citizen at 14 so he doesn't really remember what if anything else they did.

Thanks!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Congrats.

Library card?

All seriousness, health, SIN card, driver's license, any other qualifications, etc. Since assume you moved in with spouse, you're not setting up new utility accounts and the like.

Almost all the rest is/should be private matters stuff like perhaps dealing with your bank, insurance company (incl adding to vehicle insurance), legal matters (if any).

There may be some minor things depending on province and municipality where declaring joint habitancy etc might reduce fees / increase rebates / withholding amounts. In some other cases if you don't, might result in adjustments later.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Congrats.

Library card?

All seriousness, health, SIN card, driver's license, any other qualifications, etc. Since assume you moved in with spouse, you're not setting up new utility accounts and the like.

Almost all the rest is/should be private matters stuff like perhaps dealing with your bank, insurance company (incl adding to vehicle insurance), legal matters (if any).

There may be some minor things depending on province and municipality where declaring joint habitancy etc might reduce fees / increase rebates / withholding amounts. In some other cases if you don't, might result in adjustments later.
Thanks! NB let me do a lot of that stuff as a visitor with a pending PR application so a lot of that's done thankfully. A kind of funny side note is that they gave me a 4 year driver's license even though the visitor record used to prove my status was only 12 months.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks! NB let me do a lot of that stuff as a visitor with a pending PR application so a lot of that's done thankfully. A kind of funny side note is that they gave me a 4 year driver's license even though the visitor record used to prove my status was only 12 months.
Well there's no obvious reason why it should be limited to the length of your approved stay. And from personal experience, I've found other (non-canadian) jurisdictions don't limit driver's licenses to eg visa validity either; if they do issue them, it's also for some standard period (in one case I got a 'lifetime' one although that form was annulled many years later).