+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is the Visa Officer's opinion about a student starting studies before visa approval?

sal2021

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
09-02-2021
Hi Guys,
what do you think is the Visa Officer's opinion about a student starting his/her studies before visa approval?

Would the VO(Visa Officer) think that the student is genuine and has a strong and truthful interest in his studies and cares about his future plans so that he is risking starting his studies -risking losing his tuition fees?

or the VO would think that student is trying to influence his opinion on the application and thus impact his decision on the visa?

In my opinion, starting studies would give an advantage and would affect the VO's opinion positively? what do you think?

Rafaelhag43

May 6, 2021
The former sounds more likely, although we might never know what the VO thinks. My friend submitted a study permit application in June 2020, started his studies from September 2020 - April 2021 and now on summer break. His SP was approved in late December 2020.

Mind you that he is a fresh high school graduate and pursued a Bachelor's degree -- so it might be an entirely different scenario than most people here. He didn't even submit an SoP :D

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
Hi Guys,
what do you think is the Visa Officer's opinion about a student starting his/her studies before visa approval?

Would the VO(Visa Officer) think that the student is genuine and has a strong and truthful interest in his studies and cares about his future plans so that he is risking starting his studies -risking losing his tuition fees?

or the VO would think that student is trying to influence his opinion on the application and thus impact his decision on the visa?

In my opinion, starting studies would give an advantage and would affect the VO's opinion positively? what do you think?
tbh if i were you i would not pay until i get my visa approved. i only paid the tuition deposit and told my school that i will make tuition payment once i get my study permit. i have until 2nd of august to pay my first semester. i could pay it now but i don't want to risk. besides why start study online without study permit. u are not only risking money but also your PGWP. i would say wait your GCMS notes if it says eligibility passed then start online. you will get it next week or the week after it. talk with your school and let them know your study permit status. they will understand for sure.

Reactions: CMog and sal2021

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
The former sounds more likely, although we might never know what the VO thinks. My friend submitted a study permit application in June 2020, started his studies from September 2020 - April 2021 and now on summer break. His SP was approved in late December 2020.

Mind you that he is a fresh high school graduate and pursued a Bachelor's degree -- so it might be an entirely different scenario than most people here. He didn't even submit an SoP :D
where he is from ?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
I don't think the VO puts much stock into that at all. Every application is judged based on the supporting documents and information provided. If your application is not up to par and fails to convince the VO you are a bona fide student, it will be rejected whether you have started classes or not.

• Sad
Reactions: sal2021

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
Indonesia. Last time I checked, we had a 95% approval rate for study permits. Agents here don't typically ask students to write an SoP too.
make sense my country have 58% approval rate. we have our own VO and we are not required to submit sop only motivational letter. most of rejections here due to financial matters. as our average yearly income per person is very very low 8K usd

lamnt0702

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
Hi Guys,

In my opinion, VOs would not care that much for us, they only judge and give out a decision based on provided documents and SOP. They have to check hundreds or thousands of documents/SOPs every month bro, they would do their tasks like robots, which they call “professionalism”.

• Sad

sal2021

Star Member
Feb 19, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
09-02-2021
tbh if i were you i would not pay until i get my visa approved. i only paid the tuition deposit and told my school that i will make tuition payment once i get my study permit. i have until 2nd of august to pay my first semester. i could pay it now but i don't want to risk. besides why start study online without study permit. u are not only risking money but also your PGWP. i would say wait your GCMS notes if it says eligibility passed then start online. you will get it next week or the week after it. talk with your school and let them know your study permit status. they will understand for sure.
I was required to pay the first semester fees by 25th march, I paid. My program has only one intake every year which is May so it's unacceptable to defer to May 2022.

Fortunately, a few days ago, I received good news from my school that they extended the withdrawal deadline due to visa denial to the end of Aug 2021 so I can start my classes tomorrow (10th may) with no worry.
but also your PGWP
no bro. Period of online study before Fall 2021 is counted towards the PGWP period.

fritchou

Jan 21, 2019
Tunisia
I was required to pay the first semester fees by 25th march, I paid. My program has only one intake every year which is May so it's unacceptable to defer to May 2022.

Fortunately, a few days ago, I received good news from my school that they extended the withdrawal deadline due to visa denial to the end of Aug 2021 so I can start my classes tomorrow (10th may) with no worry.

no bro. Period of online study before Fall 2021 is counted towards the PGWP period.
then that is good news. guess you will have to wait and see. hope you get updates soon. let us know when u receive GCMS notes

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi Guys,

VO is not in a position to know if applicant has started studying ONLINE or doesnt have interest to do homework for each applicant to see if he/she is studying before approval. He will make decision based on the documents one has submit.

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
VO is not in a position to know if applicant has started studying ONLINE or doesnt have interest to do homework for each applicant to see if he/she is studying before approval. He will make decision based on the documents one has submit.
Wrong. IRCC has a compliance verification portal to check enrolment. Have seen many wasting thousands of dollars into the drain after their visas were refused where they began studying online without any final approval. They will avoid giving early approval/decisions since the maximum period of online learning goes till December 2021 through postponing the due dates.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Wrong. IRCC has a compliance verification portal to check enrolment. Have seen many wasting thousands of dollars into the drain after their visas were refused where they began studying online without any final approval. They will avoid giving early approval/decisions since the maximum period of online learning goes till December 2021 through postponing the due dates.
You misundersood my point. If IRCC do not send adhoc verification to DLI and or if they did not receive regular compliance report from the DLI at the time applicant has applied and attending online studies then there’s no other way they could know. Assume, i started today, and DLI sent compliance report last month. By the way, im no supporting starting studying before SP approved, NO, it is risks and waste of money when SP is rejected. And again, i dont see any concern to VO if applicant is studying online outside of Canada...nor how will that influence any decision

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/partners-service-providers/dli-portal/compliance-reporting-guide.html

imisstraveling

Feb 11, 2021
So VISA Officers have a portals to verify the admission and also the student ID submitted while SP application? If yes, then why so many rejections? I know people exploit the education route for immigration but it puts other students application in lurch who are just going there for education in top the universities. I found US Visa process way much efficient and fair than Canada.